Scott Heine's Protectors

Solomon

Thanks! I hadn't really gotten into the enhanced senses in 5th Edition yet. I just got the book as a Christmas present. It looks like this is an area where things have some considerable changes. Or maybe it's jut been too many years since I played Champions. I don't remember Nightvision, and I'm not sure how exactly it differs from Ultraviolet vision. I'll have to dig into this a bit, looks like.

The weird thing is, if I buy darkness vs the smell/taste group then add the individual senses of Normal Sight, UV and Night vision it is actually fewer active points than if I buy the Sight sense group and give it the 1/4 limitation. That's using the new version of Hero Designer. Hmmm...

The Huntsman could use something we've been doing with archer characters for a while.

Make the MP no range, OIF Quiver, with OAF Bolt slots.

Buy the OAF Bow as range for the MP. These days that would be a naked modifier I suppose.

This lets the archer use things like the electro-arrow in HTH after the bow gets lost or broken. You can see Green Arrow and Hawkeye do this now and then.

• 1 month later...

OPINIONS REQUESTED

The following link *should* be to a campaign handout for our next session. If the tone seems strange, remember that I'm running a villain campaign. I'm in the process of creating "upgunned" writeups appropriate to my campaign as well.

Basically the author of that handout is my "GM-PC", the Disruptor. For each character I rolled against his KS: Nova World ("Superheroic World" for most campaigns) and determined the amount of information I included based on how high he made the roll (17-) by -- with one exception.

1> Is the exception too obvious?

2> This is intended as a "growed-up" version of the Protectors -- as they might be 15 years after the events in "Serve and Protect". Do they come across that way, or have I stagnated them?

3> I added two of the surviving members of the Freedom Patrol to the Protectors. Was this a good idea? I know in Jo-Tan's case he's a little redundant but I think I've got an interesting balance of power between he, Renegade, and Silverfist...

4> I had to do some twiting to Brainstorm because my campaign world has a strong anti-psionic history (a mind controller nearly took over the world in the late 70's). Do you find the twist interesting, or trite?

Thanks in advance for the opinions!

EDIT: helps if I include a working link...

Protectors Infodump

• 2 weeks later...

DOC SONICThe following is the Doc Sonic writeup I'll be using at our next sessions. It's intended as an experienced Doc Sonic, one that has been in the business for almost 2 decades. In her case I went more with "tricking her out" than "upgunning" because I feel that's the way the *character* would have advanced (as oppossed to the way a player playing her would have).Doc SonicPlayer: NPC (Protectors)

Val Char Cost
13 STR 3
23 DEX 39
18 CON 16
10 BODY 0
33 INT 23
18 EGO 16
18 PRE 8
14 COM 2
6/40 PD 3
6/30 ED 2
6 SPD 27
10 REC 6
40 END 2
30 STUN 4
8" RUN42" SWIM02 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 155
Cost Power END
36 Coatlicue's Rebuttal: +28 Mental Defense (32 points total), Hardened (+1/4) (36 Active Points) [Notes: Robyn was more affected by the Coatlicue incident than the other Protectors. As such she has cultivated a high personal MD.]
19 Coatlicue's Rebuttal: Damage Resistance (30 Mental Def.), Hardened (+1/4) (19 Active Points)
22 Been there, done that, got the T-shirt: +45 PRE (45 Active Points); Only for defense or defending against skill-vs-skill (-1)
17 Main Battlesuit Functions: Elemental Control, 50-point powers, all slots: (25 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
17 1) Primary Flight: Flight 20", Usable Underwater (+1/4) (50 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 5
23 2) Primary Force Field: Force Field (30 PD/20 ED) (Protect Carried Items) (60 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 6
13 3) Was that supposed to hurt?: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% (60 Active Points); STUN Only (-1/2), Limited SFX (see note) (-1/2), Costs Endurance Only Costs END to Activate (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: Sound is defined as a PD attack for my campaigns. Because of its nature this would also work against an air blast or similar SFX.] 6
18 4) Sonic Manipulation: Hearing Group Images, +/-10 to PER Roll, Increases Size (2" radius; +1/4), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (52 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 2
Other Battlesuit Functions, all slots: OIF (Battlesuit; -1/2)
21 1) Unique Sonic Battery: Endurance Reserve (120 END, 20 REC) (32 Active Points)
17 2) Gremlin Defense: Naked Modifier, Difficult To Dispel (x2 Active Points) (+1/4) (25 Active Points) [Notes: Protects the Sonic Battery from Dispels against it. She devised this specfically to counteract The Disruptor's "Gremlin Ray".]
8 3) Combat Recharger: Absorption into END Reserve 4d6 (Physical) (20 Active Points); Only Restores To Starting Values (-1/2), Only full power against sonic attacks (see note) (-1/2) [Notes: 4d6 for sonic attacks. 2d6 for any physical attack that "buffets" her (like a wind blast) in a manner similar to a sonic attack. 1d6 otherwise.]
5 4) Well-designed Force Field: Lack Of Weakness (-8) for Force Field (8 Active Points)
7 5) Contingency Planning: Power Defense (12 points) (12 Active Points); Only protects suit functions (-1/4)
8 6) High-Tech Material: Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points)
13 7) Sonic Baffles: Invisibility to Hearing Group, No Fringe (20 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 2
14 8) Sonar System: Active Sonar (Telescopic (+6)) (21 Active Points)
2 9) Sonar System: Ultrasonic Perception (3 Active Points)
5 10) Ultrasound: N-Ray Perception for Sonar (10 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)
22 11) CBT Functions: Life Support , Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents, Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing (39 Active Points); Not always active (see note) (-1/4) [Notes: She has to enclose her head for this to work, something she is somewhat loathe to do unless she knows she's going to be facing this kind of attack.]
53 Battlesuit Weapon Systems: Multipower, 80-point reserve, all slots: (80 Active Points); OIF (Battlesuit; -1/2)
5m 1) Somebody's gonna hear this: Flash 12d6 (Hearing Group) (36 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 4
4m 2) Extra Flight: Flight 15" (30 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 3
4m 3) Extra DEF: Force Field (15 PD/15 ED) (30 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: She can only increment it in 1 DEF steps...] 3
4u 4) Sonic Stunner, Full: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), No Normal Defense Standard (+1) (60 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 6
4u 5) Sonic Stunner, Casual: Energy Blast 5d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), No Normal Defense Standard (+1) (62 Active Points)
4u 6) Sonic Stunner, Cone: Energy Blast 4d6 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (9" Cone; +1), No Normal Defense Standard (+1) (60 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 6
4u 7) Sonic Syonara: Energy Blast 5d6 (vs. ED), Quadruple Knockback (+1 1/2) (62 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: This is in keeping with her "Tactics" listing in S&P.] 6
4u 8) Sonic Boom: Flash 10d6 (Hearing Group), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 6
3u 9) Emergency END Booster: "Healing" into END Reserve 8d6 (max. Healed Points: 48) (80 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), Self Only (-1/2) [Notes: Remember that the result will be doubled -- on average recovering 56 END.Also remember she can only switch her pool once per turn...]
2u 10) Sonic Shove: Telekinesis (40 STR) (60 Active Points); Very limited manipulation (-1) (uses END Reserve) 6
4u 11) Focused Shatterer: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (vs. ED) (60 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 6
2u 12) Sonic Disruptor: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (vs. ED), Penetrating (+1/2), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/2), Autofire (5 shots; +2) (60 Active Points); No STR Bonus (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) 3
Other Equipment
7 1) Filtering Earplugs: Damage Resistance (15 Flash Def.), Hardened (+1/4) (9 Active Points); IIF (-1/4)
15 2) Filtering Earplugs: Flash Defense (15 points) (Hearing Group), Hardened (+1/4) (19 Active Points); IIF (-1/4)
10 3) Polarized Lenses: Flash Defense (15 points) (Sight Group) (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) [Notes: Neither resistant nor hardened, and worn seperately from the suit often enough to warrant being outside it.]
12 4) Scrambled Radio System: Radio Perception/Transmission (Concealed (-5 to PER Roll)) (15 Active Points); IIF (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 428
Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
0 Weapon Element: Battlesuit systems: Default Element
4 Ranged Disarm: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Disarm, +15 STR
4 Trip: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +2, v/5, Target Falls
5 Far Shot: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +4, Strike
Martial Arts Cost: 13
Cost Skill
6 +4 vs. specific OCV modifier on a single attack
12 +4 with any three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks
Combat Skills
3 Analyze: Technology 16-
3 Breakfall 14-
5 Bureaucratics 14-
3 Computer Programming 16-
3 Concealment 16-
5 Cramming
1 Criminology 8-
2 Navigation 16-
3 Deduction 16-
3 Tactics 16-
3 Teamwork 14-
3 PS: Domestic Defender (Full-time nova) (PRE-based) 13-
1 PS: Singing 8-
Gadgeteer
3 1) Electronics 16-
3 2) Inventor 16-
3 3) Mechanics 16-
3 4) Systems Operation 16-
7 5) Weaponsmith (Battlesuits, Sonic-Based) 18-
3 6) Power (INT-based) 16-
10 7) +2 with skills on this list & science skills
3 Scientist
2 1) SS: Sonics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 16-
2 2) SS: Physics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 16-
2 3) SS: Engineering (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 16-
Skills Cost: 97
Cost Perk
4 Fringe Benefit: Federal/National Police Powers, Passport
6 Reputation (A large group; 14-) +2/+2d6
Perks Cost: 10
Cost Talent
18 Universal Translator 19- (23 Active Points); Verbal Only (-1/4)
Talents Cost: 18
Val Disadvantages
15 Psychological Limitation: Code versus Killing (Common; Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Dislikes Combat (Very Common; Moderate)
10 Social Limitation: Harrassed by FEMA (Frequently; Minor)
5 Physical Limitation: Nearsighted (wears corrective lenses) (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
20 Hunted: VIPER 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
20 Watched: PRIMUS 14- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Frequently; Major)
10 Hunted: Sonic Powered Villain 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish) [Notes: This used to be Ultrasonique of Eurostar -- who is now deceased in the campaign.]
10 Social Limitation: The Wrong Enemies (Frequently; Minor) [Notes: Robyn has made an enemy of NOW and other feminist groups. She has also offended several higher-ups in PRIMUS -- and in the case of FEMA the feeling is mutual. This causes problems in more than a few social circles.]
10 Reputation: Anti-Feminist, politically conservative member of the Protectors 11-
Disadvantage Points: 130

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 391Total Experience Available: 391Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 721

Height: 5' 6" Hair: Brown
Weight: 145 lbs Eyes: Brown
Appearance: Robyn is in her early 40's but has been aging gracefully (she is not unaging). She has developed barely noticeable white strands in her hair recently, and has dropped the ponytail for an ahtletic braid. The suit is a light blue bodysuit with 'circuitry' stitched into it.Personality: Robyn is the most level-headed and psychologically balanced members of the Protectors -- perhaps among novas in general. Although she dislikes combat (she has seen too much of it now to be frightened) she can give the stereotypical English butler competition for being unflappable. She is strong and confident, but is also fully aware of her limitations.Quote:"I'm not fat, but do you mind if I start singing anyway?"Background: Robyn's history up to that reflected in S&P is unchanged except for the fact that the suit was designed for FEMA instead of the military. The trick the Huntsman pulled was legal but FEMA still resents it.

Robyn was bothered by the Coatlicue incident more than the rest of the Protectors and has put no small amount of work into arming herself against another mind controller. She is also *very* suspicious about whether or not Brainchild is telling the truth about losing his telepathic & physchokinetic powers.

Powers/Tactics: Robyn is a Class 1 Savant-style nova -- whose battlesuit brings her up to the low end of Class 3 for power. She will generally keep to her NND's and Flash (usually as an MPA); as detailed in S&P however she will unleash her Sonic Syonara power against anybody that gets too close for her comfort. She has extended the size and recharge options on her battlesuit and therefore isn't as reluctant to fly as S&P suggests. She has also 'bought off' the sonic feedback vulnerability. Her Sonic Shatterer and Sonic Disruptor are reserved for inanimate objects -- she'd have to be mind controlled at +30 to use them against a human.Campaign Use: This represents an experienced version of Doc Sonic as opposed to a more powerful one (although she's slightly upgunned to bring her in line with my campaign). Robyn also has a bit of secret history with one of the PC's in my campaign.

Originally posted by Vorsch

If every Marvel or DC character developed 28pts of hardened resistant mental defence after being mind controlled mentalist would be redundant.

28pts is an awful lot.

Also Coatlice amulet worked against power defence.

Every character didn't. That's why I said it bothered her more and she worked against it.

As for the amulet -- she can't just "grow" power defense. MD she can, at least under my campaign (MD is a figured attribute).

HELIOSNext up is the Helios upgunning -- and in his case it's more appropriate to increase power strength than depth. This writeup also includes my own personal take on the Ring/Wall Of Fire effect. I also gave him MD Reduction to reflect his dual mind.Before you blanche at the power level (120 active points), remember that this writeup is for a Helios that's been in the hero business for over 2 decades as a member of one of the most powerful & respected nova teams on the planet.Finally, a couple of his disadvantages are campaign-specific. The Teragen are a group from Aberrant and are effectively the other side of the IHA/Genocide coin. The other case is explained in the writeup.HeliosPlayer: NPC (Protectors)

Val Char Cost
30 STR 20
24 DEX 42
30 CON 40
15 BODY 10
13 INT 3
18 EGO 16
15 PRE 5
10 COM 0
30 PD 0
40/50 ED 0
6 SPD 26
12 REC 0
60 END 0
60 STUN 15
8" RUN40" SWIM-26" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 179
Cost Power END
4 Basic MD: +4 Mental Defense (8 points total)
10 Protector's Radio: Radio Perception/Transmission (Concealed (-5 to PER Roll)) (15 Active Points); IIF (Concealed Communicator; -1/4), Sense Affected As Hearing Too (-1/4)
80 Fire Power: Multipower, 120-point reserve, all slots: (120 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Not in water (-1/4)
8u 1) Burn: Killing Attack - Ranged 8d6 (vs. ED) (120 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 12
8u 2) BURN: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6 +1 (vs. ED), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (120 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 12
8u 3) Burn the lot of you!: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (13" Cone; +1) (120 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 12
8u 4) I told you to BURN you idiot!: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (vs. ED), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/2) (120 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 4
8u 5) Don't make me hurt you...: Energy Blast 9 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1) (120 Active Points)
7u 6) Burning Ring of Fire: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. ED), Hole In The Middle Fixed Size (+1/4), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), House Rule for Reduced Endurance (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (112 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: Cost for Reduce Endurance doubled for Uncontrolled powers.] 5
7u 7) Big Ole' Ring of Fire: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), House Rule for Reduced Endurance (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Hole In The Middle Variable Size (+1/2), Area Of Effect (9" Radius; +1), Continuous (+1) (112 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 5
8u 8) Wall Of Fire: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), House Rule for Reduced END (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (9" Any Area; +1) (120 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 6
8u 9) Burn it up: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Sticky Standard (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (120 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 12
8u 10) Flaming Fist: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 5d6 +1 (plus STR) (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (120 Active Points)
Eternal Defense, all slots: Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
70 1) Hardened Target: Armor (24 PD/34 ED) (87 Active Points)
4 2) Thorough Defenses: Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Resistant Defenses (Armor) (5 Active Points)
24 3) Split Mentality: Mental Damage Reduction, 50% (30 Active Points)
4 4) Protection of Arrogance: Power Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points)
12 5) Innate Protection from own powers: Flash Defense (15 points) (Sight Group) (15 Active Points)
4 6) Life Support , Longevity: 800 Years, Safe in Intense Heat (5 Active Points)
Fire Proof, all slots: Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
8 1) Armor (0 PD/10 ED) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type Of Attack Limited Type of Attack (-1/2)
34 2) Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% (60 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type Of Attack Limited Type of Attack (-1/2)
22 3) Absorption 10d6 (Energy, into STUN) (50 Active Points); Limited Special Effect Common SFX (-1/2), Only Restores To Starting Values (-1/2)
Other powers, all slots: Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
40 1) Fiery Flight: Flight 20", Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (50 Active Points) (uses Personal END) [Notes: Uses Personal END not a typo or oversight.] 2
42 2) Fiery Power: Endurance Reserve (120 END, 40 REC) (52 Active Points)
20 3) Fiery Empowerment: Transfer 2d6 (END to END Reserve), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (45 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2), Only Restores To Starting Values (-1/2) [Notes: In my campaigns I allow self-only powers like this to be used as a non-attack 1/2 phase action.]
4 4) Fiery Sight: Infrared Perception (5 Active Points)
4 5) Instant Change: Transform 2d6 (Cosmetic) (10 Active Points); Clothes Only Limited (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2) (uses Personal END) 1
Powers Cost: 464
Cost Skill
Autofire Skills
5 1) Accurate Sprayfire
5 2) Concentrated Sprayfire
5 3) Skipover Sprayfire
Combat Skills
7 1) Teamwork 16-
11 2) +2 with All Combat (16 Active Points); Only for coordinated attacks (-1/2)
6 3) +2 with Multipower
4 4) +2 vs. range, with Multipower
Remaining Skills
5 1) PS: Photography (INT-based) 14-
1 2) PS: Professional Nova 8-
3 3) Power 11-
3 4) Tactics 12-
3 5) Combat Driving 14-
3 6) Combat Piloting 14-
2 7) Language: English (fluent conversation) [Notes: Greek is native]
8 8) TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Air Vehicles, Recreational Vehicles, Tracked Military Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles, Wheeled Military Vehicles
3 9) KS: Nova World (INT-based) 12-
3 10) AK: West Coast (INT-based) 12-
Skills Cost: 77
Cost Perk
Perks Cost: 4
Val Disadvantages
10 Social Limitation: Teragen Sympathizer (Frequently; Major; Not Limiting In Some Cultures)
15 Social Limitation: Perceived as being delusional (Very Frequently; Minor) [Notes: The public at large believes novas are novas, and that origin stories like his need medication.]
10 Reputation: Dangerous, Delusional member of Protectors 11-
10 Unluck: 2d6
15 Distinctive Features: Bizzare Appearance (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20 Watched: PRIMUS/SAT 14- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
20 Hunted: ARGENT 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence) [Notes: This dates back to when ARGENT was a legitimate company.]
20 Psychological Limitation: Violent, almost beserk in combat (Very Common; Strong)
10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Cold (Common)
10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY Cold (Common)
10 Accidental Change: Emotion-based 8- (Common)
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 300Experience Required: 274Total Experience Available: 300Experience Unspent: 26Total Character Cost: 724

Height: 6' 2" Hair: Black (Smoldering Red)
Weight: 206 lbs Eyes: Brown (Yellow)
Appearance: Unchanged from S&P writeup -- he is aging very slowly.Personality: Helios is a hot-head, and you saw that joke coming a mile away I'm sure. He's the shoot repeatedly until they're gone and let God ask the questions type.

Quote:Burn.Background: Helios wasn't as affected by the Coatlicue incident as many of his teammates -- he was already a little nuts. Demetrios has all but given up fighting the other personality.Powers/Tactics: Helios is raw power, both in terms of hitting power and staying power. The sum total of his breadth is focusing his impact to be more effective in certain circumstances. In keeping with his S&P writeup, killing attacks were used almost exclusively. His idea of holding back is using his 9.5d6 Autofire attack (note the Autofire skills). This is not to say he's stupid in combat -- that Teamwork skill and extra OCV reflect this.

Take special note of the "Ring of Fire" powers (and his very similar "Wall of Fire") -- these allow him to create a "ring" around a hex or radius that burns anyone passing through them. These are his "safest" powers and he'll use them when he perceives he's not allowed to cut loose.

Campaign Use: In my campaign he once accidentally killed a civilian to break up a hostage situation -- and then killed the criminal at least in part to cover his tracks. He was not aware of another witness (The Disruptor, one of the PC's).

His attacks will look overpowered for most campaigns -- 6 DC's short of the official Doctor Destroyer. IMO this is in keeping with his character, which would try to power up instead of broadening. Also note that this is an experienced (been in the business for over 20 years) writeup, intended to be on one of the more powerful and respected nova teams.

Helios

Most of his other powers you have bought Hero Id, but not Does not work in water. That was part of the original write up.

what is house rule for reduced end?

also the mental damage reduction should probabilly not be Hero id as he is a dual mentality all the time.

He also strikes me as a character who should have a Damage shield

4 60 HKA 2d6 AP, 0end

4 60 RKA 2d6 Damage shield, 0 end

I would of liked to of seen the heat blast (as per original), probabilly change Burn the lot of you to

8 120 Eb 12d6 vs ed , auto fire 5, 1/2 end

Nice write up bit high on the DC though. I dont think he would last against similar DC opponents (eg Str 120 bricks, mentalists especiall TK )

RE: House Rule for Reduced END. I guess the note wasn't explicit enough.

Notes: Cost for Reduce Endurance doubled for Uncontrolled powers.

This is a long-standing house rule for us. Basically, the cost of Reduced Endurance is double for Uncontrolled powers in the same manner it is for Autofire powers.

As for Energy Blast vs Killing Attacks, as per his description in S&P I felt he would concentrate on them since they were closer to his nature.

As to Hero ID and the MD Reduction -- good point worth correcting.

I left damage shield off because I wasn't sure it was in character for him.

ACENext up is Ace, who probably looks underpowered after Helios :DAcePlayer: NPC (Protectors

Val Char Cost
20 STR 10
28 DEX 54
23 CON 26
10 BODY 0
13 INT 3
13 EGO 6
15 PRE 5
16 COM 3
25 PD 21
25 ED 20
7 SPD 32
15 REC 12
50 END 2
40 STUN 8
8" RUN42" SWIM04" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 206
Cost Power END
7 Base MD: +7 Mental Defense (10 points total)
12 Radio Perception/Transmission (Concealed (-5 to PER Roll)) (15 Active Points); IIF (-1/4)
8 Special Contacts: Flash Defense (10 points) (Sight Group) (10 Active Points); IIF (-1/4)
15 Find The Flaw: Find Weakness 12- (Single Attack)
5 Know Your Own Flaw: Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Normal Defense
8 Find Far Flaw: Telescopic +8 to PER Rolls (only to offset the Range Modifier) (Find Weakness)
24 Iron Swimsuit Technique: Damage Resistance (25 PD/25 ED/10 Mental Def.) (30 Active Points); Awareness/Dodge Based (-1/4)
3 Above and Beyond: +20 STR (20 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost 10x END (-4), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Variable RSR -1/4) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: This allows her to "push" even though it's drawing from a reserve. It also allows her to push harder...] 20
30 Ninja Vigor: Life Support , Eating: Character only has to eat once per week, Expanded Breathing (Water), Immune to all diseases except common cold, all poisons but one (unknown), Longevity: Immortal, Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week
12 Ninja Magic: Endurance Reserve (120 END, 0 REC) [Notes: Lack of REC not an accident.]
16 Chop Suey Martial Artistry: Elemental Control, 40-point powers, all slots: (20 Active Points); Requires Appropriate Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, Variable RSR -1/4) [Notes: The skill roll changes from power to power and situation to situation.]
35 1) Wire Fu: Flight 18", Position Shift, Must begin or end phase in contact with a "surface" (+0), Power Can Draw END from Character or END Reserve (+1/4), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), No Turn Mode (+1/4) (72 Active Points); No Noncombat Movement (-1/4) [Notes: Since the definition of surface is so liberal this is a -0 switch instead of the usual -1/4 limitation.] 3
11 2) Effectiveness of Skill: +40 STR (40 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: She can add this to damage, for example.] 4
7 3) Meditation Techniques: Transfer 3d6 (END to END Reserve), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (67 Active Points); Concentration 0 DCV, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (-1 1/4), Character is totally unaware of nearby events (-1/4), Extra Time 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-3/4), Requires both hands (-1/4), Self Only (-1/2), Only Restores To Starting Values (-1/2), Incantations, Requires Incantations throughout (-1/2)
10 4) Trapdoor Spider Technique: Tunneling 2" through 6 DEF material (Fill In Hole), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (40 Active Points); Cannot tunnel more than 1" down (-1/2), No Noncombat Movement (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: This is enough to get through dirt, stone, or unreinforced concrete.] 2
17 5) Insert Ninja Joke Here: Invisibility to Sight Group, Normal Hearing, No Fringe, Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (41 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 2
20 6) Nerve Strike Technique: Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6, Power Can Draw END from Character or END Reserve (+1/4), No Normal Defense Standard (+1) (56 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) [Notes: 7d6 with normal STR, up to 10d6.] 6
13 7) Strike Avoidance: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Can block with this power as well (+1/2) (40 Active Points); Costs Endurance Half END every phase (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: Actual END cost 2 per phase.] 4
Powers Cost: 253
Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
5 Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
5 Passing Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +v/5; Target Falls; FMove
4 Basic Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, Strike + 1d6 +v/5
Martial Arts Cost: 14
Cost Skill
Combat Skills
10 1) Defense Maneuver: I-IV
3 2) Fast Blow 15-
5 3) Rapid Attack (HTH)
3 4) Teamwork 15-
3 5) Tactics 12-
24 6) +8 vs Hit Loc with all attacks
30 7) +6 with HTH Combat
16 8) +8 vs. multiple attacker penalties for Block, Deflection, and Move Thru
RSR Skills
7 1) Acrobatics 17-
3 2) Breakfall 15-
3 3) Climbing 15-
9 4) Concealment 15-
3 5) Contortionist 15-
3 6) Power (DEX-based) 15-
3 7) Sleight Of Hand 15-
3 8) Analyze: Style 12-
25 9) +5 with a group of similar Skills
Other Skills
3 1) PS: Professional Nova (PRE-based) 12-
3 2) Shadowing 12-
3 3) Stealth 15-
3 4) Streetwise 12-
3 5) Lockpicking 15-
4 6) Language: Japanese (idiomatic)
3 7) Paramedics 12-
5 8) AK: West Coast (INT-based) 14-
11 9) WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Blowguns, Off Hand, Three-Section Staff, Thrown Chain & Rope Weapons, Wind and Fire Wheels
3 +1 with any three related Skills
3 Scholar
2 1) KS: The Nova World (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 12-
2 2) KS: The Martial Art World (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 12-
4 3) KS: Ninjitsu (INT-based) (5 Active Points) 14-
Skills Cost: 205
Cost Perk
Perks Cost: 4
Cost Talent
3 Lightsleep
17 Combat Sense 14-
5 Simulate Death (+2 to roll)
Talents Cost: 25
Val Disadvantages
30 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Energy-based KA (Very Common)
15 Psychological Limitation: Hatred of Firearms (Common; Strong)
10 Psychological Limitation: Independent, Loner (Common; Moderate)
5 Rivalry: Professional and Romantic (KnightSeeker; Rival is Less Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
5 Physical Limitation: Colorblind (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Frequently; Major) [Notes: Given her unaging nature, this is beginning to be a real problem.]
10 Dependent NPC: Brenda Gibson, former roommate 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID; Useful noncombat position or skills)
20 Watched: PRIMUS/FEMA 14- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
20 Hunted: VIPER 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
10 Hunted: Dr. Fu 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; Limited Geographical Area)
10 Reputation: The Protector's "Token Ninja" 11-

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 357Total Experience Available: 360Experience Unspent: 3Total Character Cost: 707

Height: 5' 4" Hair: Black
Weight: 130 lbs Eyes: Brown
Appearance: Kimberly hasn't aged a day since 1985 (the year before she joined the Protectors in my timeline) -- a fact that is starting to cause problems for her "secret identity". She has changed her mask from the S&P design to twin "Aces", and the boots don't go passed her knees anymore.Personality: Unchanged from S&P. Quote:Guns aren't exactly friendly -- but then, neither am IBackground: Ace has adopted the "it's in the past" attitude toward the Coatlique incident. She solos more than the other Protectors, acquiring two enemies of her own (VIPER and the campaign-specific Dr. Fu).Powers/Tactics: Ace goes invisible at the first sign of combat (she tries to keep the power pool full in case of ambush). If she has time she picks an appropriate target and attempts Find Weakness -- otherwise she just opens up with the Nerve Strike. She likes to attempt misdirection whenever possible, such as using her Trapdoor Spider technique to get the drop on opponents that think they can detect her. Her Wire Fu power gives her comparable movement to most novas, and she's quite adept at using it to her advantage.Campaign Use: Ace's actual striking power and defenses make her only a nominal threat to the PC's -- but that's a different thing from saying she isn't a threat. She just won't be standing toe-to-toe with them the way some of the other Protectors can.

Also, in my campaign Ace is 100% behind Huntsman's anti-gun initiative -- to the point of almost expressing her opinion!

BRAINCHILDThis next one is going to require an explanation. In my campaign world a mentalist calling himself Mindbender almost succeeded in conquering the world from the shadows. The result was a strong anti-psionic backlash that lasts to this day. Psionics don't get arrested they get killed "resisting arrest/trying to escape".As such the openly psionic Brainstorm was going to cause problems; unlike Solitaire he was neither mature nor cautious enough to keep the nature of his powers secret. He'd also have to distance himself from PSI (the group) even further, in fact having to go so far as to try and hide his identity from them.As I tried to think of a way to translate the "childish" Brainstorm into my campaign world's Protectors, inspiraction struck while thumbing through CKC -- and I found the character of Brainchild. What better way to hide as a mentalist than as a completely different kind of brainpowered character!This also gave me a chance to eliminate the drug dependency of the character (which I dislike for reasons of my own), and to completely eliminate his psionic powers. He has become a living battery of mental energy -- his equipment runs off his own power.As such I eliminated the weak psionic aspect of the CKC Brainchild, broadened the equipment, and brought him closer to my campaign standards attack/defense wise. He's still on the low end; in fact he's a good example of a character that is weaker than their point total would suggest.One final note: he has a power I'm not "finished with". The advantage on the 50% damage reduction is strictly experimental. I decided against having it protect others as this might make him suspiciously close to a psionic.EDIT: realized looking over this I didn't change the name of his Public ID. Whoopsie!So without further ado...BrainchildPlayer: NPC (Protectors)

Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
18 DEX 24
18 CON 16
10 BODY 0
23 INT 13
25 EGO 30
20 PRE 10
12 COM 1
15/35 PD 4
15/35 ED 4
5 SPD 22
6 REC 0
36 END 0
36 STUN 12
8" RUN42" SWIM02" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 140
Cost Power END
15 Base MD: +15 Mental Defense (20 points total)
45 Psionic Static: Mental Damage Reduction, 50%, Works First (+1/2) (45 Active Points) [Notes: This reduction applies BEFORE his mental defense kicks in.]
43 Force Field Belt: Force Field (20 PD/20 ED/15 Power Defense) (Protect Carried Items) (65 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) 6
5 Inertial Dampening Field: Knockback Resistance -5" (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance Costs END Every Phase (-1/2), OIF (Part of Force Field Belt; -1/2) (uses END Reserve) 1
16 Bulletproof Spandex Uniform: Armor (9 PD/7 ED) (24 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
34 Jetpack: Flight 18", x4 Noncombat, Usable Underwater (+1/4) (51 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) 5
12 Communication Earplug: Radio Perception/Transmission (Concealed (-5 to PER Roll)) (15 Active Points); IIF (-1/4)
8 Communication Extender: High Range Radio Perception (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
3 Nightsight: Infrared Perception (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
3 Nightsight: Ultraviolet Perception (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
13 Language Interpretation Headband: Universal Translator 14- (20 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
21 Space Suit: Life Support , Immune to most diseases & chemicals, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing (37 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Based on Armor (suit can lose these functions without being lost) (-1/4)
31 Phaser: Multipower, 62-point reserve, all slots: (62 Active Points); OAF (-1)
6m 1) Set to Stun: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), No Normal Defense Standard (+1) (60 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 6
5m 2) Partial Destabilization: Energy Blast 12d6 (vs. ED) (60 Active Points); No Knockback (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) 6
5m 3) Bright Flash: Flash 12d6 (Sight Group) (60 Active Points); Can Be Missile Deflected (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) 6
3u 4) Disintegration: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (vs. ED) (60 Active Points); No Knockback (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) 6
2u 5) Meltdown 1: Drain ED 2 1/2d6, Ranged (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (62 Active Points); ED Applies (-1), Beam (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) 6
3u 6) Meltdown 2: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Penetrating (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (62 Active Points); Beam (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) 6
3u 7) Repulsar Ray: Energy Blast 5d6 (vs. ED), Quadruple KB (+1 1/2) (62 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 6
1u 8) Deflecto Blast: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Ranged Adjacent Hex (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Costs Endurance Costs END Every Phase (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) 3
1u 9) Defensive Manuevers: +6 with DCV (30 Active Points); Costs Endurance Costs END Every Phase (-1/2) 3
74 Living Power Battery: Endurance Reserve (300 END, 50 REC) Reserve: (80 Active Points); "Leaks" (-1/4) [Notes: As he uses it more intensively he begins to glow.]
16 Transfer Power: Healing (END Reserve) 3d6 (max. Healed Points: 18), Ranged (+1/2) (45 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost 3x END (-1), OIF (Focus (Filtering device in gloves); -1/2), No effect on reserves based on physical fuel (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: Note that this can recharge other novas' END Reserves as well.] 12
Powers Cost: 368
Cost Skill
3 Computer Programming 14-
3 Electronics 14-
3 Inventor 14-
3 Mechanics 14-
3 AK: West Coast (INT-based) 14-
3 Security Systems 14-
3 Stealth 13-
3 Systems Operation 14-
4 Weaponsmith (Chemical Weapons, Firearms, Psionic) 14-
Combat Skills
7 1) Teamwork 15-
5 2) Rapid Attack (Ranged)
12 3) +4 with multipower
4 4) +2 vs. Range, for multipower
4 5) +2 vs. multiple attack penalties, with multipower
3 Scholar
2 1) KS: Current Events (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
2 2) KS: General Knowledge & Trivia (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
2 3) KS: The Nova World (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
3 4) KS: Pulp Fiction (the literature, not the movie) (INT-based) (4 Active Points) 15-
3 Scientist
2 1) SS: Biology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
2 2) SS: Chemistry (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
2 3) SS: Physics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
2 4) SS: Psychology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
2 5) SS: Psionic Engineering (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
4 6) SS: Bioenergetics (INT-based) (5 Active Points) 16-
Skills Cost: 89
Cost Perk
2 Deep Cover
6 Fringe Benefit: Concealed Weapon Permit (where appropriate), Federal/National Police Powers, Passport
2 Reputation (A large group; 11-) +1/+1d6
Perks Cost: 10
Cost Talent
3 Lightning Calculator
3 Absolute Range Sense
3 Absolute Time Sense
5 Eidetic Memory
4 Speed Reading (x10)
Talents Cost: 18
Val Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Features: Walking power battery Not Concealable, Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction, Detectable Only By Unusual Senses
20 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Gas attacks due to slight ashma (Common)
20 Watched: PRIMUS 14-, More Powerful, Watching, Extensive Non-Combat Influence
20 Hunted: PSI 8- (Occasionally), More Powerful, Harshly Punish, Extensive Non-Combat Influence [Notes: Psi (and Psimon in particular) believe Brainchild is in fact Brainstorm (and they're right). They're trying to find out for certain and would LOVE to expose him if they could prove it.]
10 Hunted: Generic 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish) [Notes: Because he generates power, he is often the target of villains seeking to power their latest McGuffin.]
20 Psychological Limitation: Intellectual Arrogance Very Common, Strong
15 Psychological Limitation: Inferiority Complex; Must Prove His "Superiority" Common, Strong
20 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (the former Brainstorm) Frequently (11-), Severe [Notes: Severity increased to reflect the danger of the secret. The fact that he is Kent Hampton is actually a Public ID.]
15 Social Limitation: Immature (Frequently; Major) [Notes: Listed as social because the problems it causes him will be social ones.]

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 275Total Experience Available: 275Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 625

Height: 5' 11" Hair: Black
Weight: 160 lbs Eyes: Brown
Appearance: Kent is starting to get grey hairs and streaks in his curly black hair, but otherwise looks like a young athlete that hasn't lost his swagger yet.Personality: Despite being in his early forties Kent has the social maturity of an early teenager. He is motivated by a near addiction to action, and actively seeks out trouble. He isn't as stupid as he used to be in regards to letting this distract him in combat, but that's a different thing from saying he has quit flirting with virtually every woman he comes into contact with in a crude fashion.Quote:"Foolish villain! You are no match for me, for I am the future!" -- followed by laughing at his own joke.Background: Kent was the unwitting tool Psimon used to take control of PSI. After helping the Protectors "eliminate" PSI Kent came to the conclusion that the drug PSI had developed for him was actually keeping his powers under control, and quit taking it. During withdrawl he learned the truth: the drug was keeping his powers in check all right, but not in the way he thought it had been. His mind was literally bursting with psionic energy; the drug was working as a "fuse" to keep it from burning out. Dr. Wraithe was able to save Kent's life, but his powers had been irrepairably changed.

In the long run, it was probably for the better. Kent is no longer psionic; if anything he's an "anti-psi" now. This allows him to "hide in plain sight" as it were. He has translated his love of the pulp characters like Buck Rogers into becoming a low-end gadgeteer -- using the power his mind generates as the power source for the devices.

Powers/Tactics: Kent is not complicated in combat -- he gets airborne and starts shooting at people. While not a member of the CVK Union he generally keeps the blaster Set On Stun unless he sees a reason to use the other slots (which will of course happen). While he'd really rather fight, he has found his Deflection power to be very popular with the public and will use it given an opportunity to look good (or, more often, if ordered to cover the civilians by Quasar).Campaign Use: Note that Kent isn't quite on the power level his points might suggest, as a fair percentage of his points are locked up in a power he mostly keeps secret.

As to ace, i think she should have more than 3 MA manuvers. also she has 2 str boosts that can do damage +20 and +40, means she can be str 80 when she wants to be. ( its not limited to HA )

You have No fig as a lim on +20str 10x end, i dont think thats a valid lim, eg i could have +50str x10 end and get all the figs even if i never use it? no way.

Her physical stats seem lite for a MA mutant who displays str and speed beyond whats possible ( original description )

Originally posted by Vorsch

As to ace, i think she should have more than 3 MA manuvers. also she has 2 str boosts that can do damage +20 and +40, means she can be str 80 when she wants to be. ( its not limited to HA )

What do martial manuevers give her? More damage, more strength to do certain things, and improved CV. I chose to give those to her direction.

You have No fig as a lim on +20str 10x end, i dont think thats a valid lim, eg i could have +50str x10 end and get all the figs even if i never use it? no way.

How is it invalid for her pushing and not for her "effectiveness" +STR? All it represents is her ability to push despite drawing power from an END Reserve (which I don't allow).

Her physical stats seem lite for a MA mutant who displays str and speed beyond whats possible ( original description )

No lighter than the original STR and SPD. And for the record the original description "beyond what was logically possible". And how does this figure into your earlier mention which seemed to be saying the potential for an 80 STR under some situations was too much?

Also, remember that she isn't the highest DEX on the original Protectors writeups either -- she clocked in at 26, the same as Quasar & Maelstrom and lower than Silverfist and Coatlicue

Originally posted by SDK

The Huntsman could use something we've been doing with archer characters for a while.

Make the MP no range, OIF Quiver, with OAF Bolt slots.

Buy the OAF Bow as range for the MP. These days that would be a naked modifier I suppose.

This lets the archer use things like the electro-arrow in HTH after the bow gets lost or broken. You can see Green Arrow and Hawkeye do this now and then.

Everytime I see this I cringe, it really should be Range based on Str being bought off by the bow (Gas arrows and what have you can be thrown). Some arrows will still take OAF on the slot because they should not be used in HtH (Normal arrows for instance)