More Knockback! More!

Zaratustra

Ever noticed that damage from strength is logarithmic (each doubling in lifting strength adds 1d6) while damage from speed progresses arithmetically (in move throughs, throwing distance, KB, etc)? How will we ever manage to knockback our enemies into the stratosphere with a mere 15" KB? How did the EVA-00 throw a spear into a monster in low earth orbit? Anyhow, you see my point. Is there any set of optional rules that covers this sort of thing?

Re: More Knockback! More!

Originally posted by Zaratustra

Ever noticed that damage from strength is logarithmic (each doubling in lifting strength adds 1d6) while damage from speed progresses arithmetically (in move throughs, throwing distance, KB, etc)? How will we ever manage to knockback our enemies into the stratosphere with a mere 15" KB? How did the EVA-00 throw a spear into a monster in low earth orbit? Anyhow, you see my point. Is there any set of optional rules that covers this sort of thing?

I think there was a series of post on the old forum about this.

In the spear example, I'm guessing it was an attack power with megascale range on it.

In the more knockback issure, some sort of wierd megascale teleport linked to doing knockback sounds in order.

Originally posted by Zaratustra

Isn't that putting a cork on the leaking dam? Oh well, at least you didn't suggest Transform.

Actually no. To be honest you really haven't made a good case. If you think something should apply to your game based on its genre, then by all means do what ever you feel is right.

Originally posted by Monolith

4 Mega-Punch: Flight 1", Usable As Attack (+1), Megascale (1" = 1000 km; +1) (6 Active Points); Linked to Punch(-1/2)

30 Eva-OO Spear Attack: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. PD), Mega-Range (1" = 1000 km; +1) (60 Active Points); OAF (spear) (-1)

I'm not sure I'd allow the former myself, but still interesting.

Originally posted by nblade

I'm not sure I'd allow the former myself, but still interesting.

I would not allow it either, but I don't allow people getting knocked back into that stratosphere either. I cannot even remember the last time I read a comic and someone was knocked back more than a few blocks. While it was in genre at one time (mostly with Silver Age Superman) super-knockback has not been part of the mainstream comic genre for years.

But if absolutely have to do the super-knockback, that 4 point power above is the cheapest way I can think of doing it. :)

I did see a few examples of mile-long Knockback in the Superman stories shortly after he returned from the dead, when his strength began to grow beyond his control, but that was more a plot device. He did punch Lobo into the stratosphere once (and I wish he'd kept going permanently.) :P

You do still see occasional ultra-distance throwing by very strong characters in comic books, though - much farther than the normal HERO throwing rules will allow. I've been toying with the idea of using the MegaScale Advantage on Strength to increase the scale of hexes for throws, as has been suggested on the boards before. If done as a Naked Advantage, it should be possible to pile enough Limitations on it that the potential abuses would be minimized.

I know it's not strictly according to the rules, but what would you guys think of applying MegaScale to Strength defined solely as increasing the scale of Knockback? I would say that it should still be resisted the same way, and not do more damage when someone impacts an object during his "flight". The physics would be wonky, of course, but you can excuse a lot in comic-books if it fits the genre. ;)