TV Superheroes

farik

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SK ROCKS!

Originally posted by farik

Golden Years was based on a Stephen King Story in fact I think it was originally titled "Stephen King's Golden Years"

As far as the Trickster being based in comics yes he was. He was the Flash's cheap version of the Joker the character has even been revived in the last year (of the comic) when a punk kid stole his gadgets from the Flash museum and adopted his crime legacy.

In reference to Time Trax his superhuman ability was due to "evolution" physical and social. He repeatedly explained it by comparing how much "healthier" 20th century people were than 19th century people. By the way I think he would still belong on this list since I mentioned the contempoary setting is one of the criteria I use regardless of origin setting.

1) Was titled "Golden Years" until it was released on video and DVD then retitled "Stephen King's Golden Years". He wrote the screenplay for tv, never released in print.

2) Been there Done that

3) Has been added (1/7/04)

I can't believe we got this far without mentioning Twin Peaks. Many characters, including Agent Cooper demonstrated some superhuman abilities.

I would also like to add Special Unit 2. This short lived show was about Nick O'Malley and Kate Benson who were cops with access to super high tech gadgets. Another regular on the show was Carl, the invincible Gnome. Definately super human, hardly a hero, though.

Wrong answer!

Originally posted by McCoy

No, Isis was a Golden Age heroine published by Fawcett.

Not really, the show premered in '76 as part of the SHAZAM/ISIS HOUR on CBS on Saturday mornings. She later debut in aeight issue DC series and later returned [in animated form] as one of the FREEDOM FORCE on Tarzan and the SUPER 7.

Re: Re: Acceptable...?

Originally posted by bcholmes

The Human Target was a DC Comic before it was a TV show, I believe.

Also, some others that jumped into my head:

- The Phoenix with Judson Scott

- The Powers of Matthew Starr

Both of those were pretty bad shows.

Judson Scott was also a uncredited extra in Star Trek II as one of Khan's sons

Clairification

Originally posted by McCoy

How far removed from the source material does a character have to be to qualify as a new character?

If the TV Highlander is different from the movie Highlander, would The Charmings' Lillian White be different from all other evil step-mothers?

If the character was not in the source material and has Super Powers, they are original TV characters (ie Ducan from Highlander).

I am thinking about degrees of Space Ghost, kinda like Bacon.

Space Ghost is one degree of Bacon. Kevin Bacon appreared on SGC2C.

Originally posted by Ghost who Walks

1) You are correct, they usually refrained due to that entire "Lose soul to the Devil disadvantage". While the people they fought qualified as supervillains, I don't think Micki or Ryan were. Jack however, occasionally did cast a few minor spells...

2) Source:

http://www.legacyweb.com/

~Derek Rayne: Psychic: Clairvoyance, Clairaudience, and precognition. (usually in dreams or vision form)

~Nick Boyle: Ex-Navy Seal, carried a pistol. Used it against an animated doll in one episode (Chuckie clone) :). Also drives a 64' red mustang convertible. I think the car qualifies him here, the trunk has a fax, phone, and laptop in it.

~Alexandra Moreau: Limited Psychic powers (less than Derek)

~Father Philip Callaghan: Catholic Priest. Is once asked if he is a secret agent for the Pope...does not deny it.

~Dr. Rachel Corrigan: Daughter of a witch, that Derek's father murdered. Aunt was a necromancer, grandfather a satanist.

~Kat Corrigan: Daughter of rachel. More ESP powers, in the last season she starts dabbling in the occult. Possesses the physical strength of a normal 8 year old girl who engages in moderate physical exercise.

I stand corrected...

Originally posted by Eclipse

I can't believe we got this far without mentioning Twin Peaks. Many characters, including Agent Cooper demonstrated some superhuman abilities.

I would also like to add Special Unit 2. This short lived show was about Nick O'Malley and Kate Benson who were cops with access to super high tech gadgets. Another regular on the show was Carl, the invincible Gnome. Definately super human, hardly a hero, though.

Twin Peaks, I admit watching only once when it was on tv, if there was superpowers I missed it big time. Please include a list of characters that have Powers to be included.

Does anyone remember "Sapphire and Steel"?

I watched "Sapphire and Steel" in England in 1980, and in New Zealand the following year. I don't know if it appeared in the U.S. The show began with a list of icons representing the various team-members, and two are highlighted, while a voice-over announces that "Sapphire and Steel have been assigned." I think the characters were supposed to be modern-day humans fulfilling some kind of office, and I theeeenk David McCullum played Steel. I don't remember who the woman playing Sapphire was. The characters had psychic abilities and enhanced attributes...and some futuristic tech, I believe.

Would they fit?

Say, Nightmask, I noticed a few pages back that you had listed

"Streethawk" as the name of the main character in Street Hawk.

To be somewhat nit-picky, however, that was the code name

for the super-cycle itself; the name of the main character was

Jesse Mach (as far as I know, Rex Smith's only other TV role

aside from his soap-opera work).

Space Cadet :cool:

Originally posted by Space Cadet

well, Steethawk can work without a cyclist... the cyclist is a skilled normal... Streethawk is the hero really more than the pilot.

i believe electra woman and dyna-girl were created for Kroft Tv by sam strangis (dyna-girl's real life dad)--he was also a writer for the 'batman' tv show....

speaking of the kroft's, anyone else remember 'bigfoot and wildboy? '--these two would spend entire episode just running and jumping (in $6 million dollar man-esque slow-mo!!)

the kroft's also brought us 'wonder bug' (talking, flying gizmo-laden car) anad the 'bugaloos!' (flying pixie-fairy-brit-pop-rock-kids)

other names i have seen mentioned here:

QED--american dr. who rip off;

and HYMIE--secret robot agent for CONTROL and pal of maxwell smart, secret agent 86 and his evil KAOS opposite, the fearsome GROPO....

Originally posted by loraxxx

i believe electra woman and dyna-girl were created for Kroft Tv by sam strangis (dyna-girl's real life dad)--he was also a writer for the 'batman' tv show....

speaking of the kroft's, anyone else remember 'bigfoot and wildboy? '--these two would spend entire episode just running and jumping (in $6 million dollar man-esque slow-mo!!)

the kroft's also brought us 'wonder bug' (talking, flying gizmo-laden car) anad the 'bugaloos!' (flying pixie-fairy-brit-pop-rock-kids)

other names i have seen mentioned here:

QED--american dr. who rip off;

and HYMIE--secret robot agent for CONTROL and pal of maxwell smart, secret agent 86 and his evil KAOS opposite, the fearsome GROPO....

Quentin Ernst (or Earnest?) Devereaux or some thing like that, or "Quite Easily Done". Now I have to find that tape - I think I have all the shows they made, assuming it was less than 6. That was an interesting show.

Since we mentioned bigfoot, did you get the one in the Six Million Dollar Man? The android/bionic apeman/whatever who was in multiple shows?

Originally posted by Space Cadet

How can you forget his incredible stint as the host of Solid Gold?