The Howling: Satire in HERO(Horror or otherwise)

BishopofB&W

I watched The Howling DVD the other night and it still looks good compared to CGI. What struck me was that I never before noticed the scathing satire in it. Its main target was late ‘70s to early ‘80s self-help gurus and the fad theory that most mental illness was caused by repressed impulses. The Colony was for werewolves in therapy!:D In the commentary, the writer and director said they were using the werewolves as a metaphor for what happens when no impulses are kept in check. They also said they hated the smiley-face sticker, which is why they had Quist (Robert Picardo) mark his territory with it.

Now I have to think about how to draw adventure ideas out of social satire.

Originally posted by NuSoardGraphite

When someone mentions Howling, I can only think of Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf, Sybil Danning and a big Werewolf orgy.

I've been forever scarred by that movie...

:P

But it was actually better than most of the werewolf movies out there, I'm sorry to say.

Originally posted by NuSoardGraphite

When someone mentions Howling, I can only think of Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf, Sybil Danning and a big Werewolf orgy.

I've been forever scarred by that movie...

:P

Audiences will be glued to their seats as Sybil Danning turns into....Naked Sybil Danning!

Hey, it did save money on makeup and special effects.:D