Video Games

Snarf

Re: Video Games

My group is doing a one-shot game where everyone is playing Videogame Characters. I'm thinking about playing Samus Aran or Cloud Strife... I know Cloud inside and out (even have his Omnislash Limitbreak represented, but it cost more for the Limit Bar and Absorbtion power than it did for the Omnislash - go figure!).

Anyway.. anyone ever do Samus?

Have you ever written up the FF7 stuff in Hero terms?

If so, could I get a copy?

The problem with writing up some video game characters is that they are very one dimensional.

Like Q*Bert. How much do we know about Q*Bert, and how much can we find out?

Lets see, he had 3 games (Qbert, Faster Harder More Challenging Qbert, and Qbert's Qubes), and one pinball machine (Qberts Quest). Unfortunately all he did in any of them was hop around and avoid the bad guys.

I don't THINK Qbert was in any cartoons or comic books, although he MIGHT have had a board game.

Off the top of my head he has.

Distinctive features, Q*Bert

Physical limitation "no arms"

Phycological limitation "potty mouth"

That is basically the whole character as seen in the game.

Things that could be added, but would be extrapolations include.

Enhanced smell (from that big nose).

Superleap (he does jump a lot).

Some sort of martial art, or simply HA based upon the idea of jumping on people. Note that he does not do this in the game.

KS: Colors and patterns

There is so much we don't know about Q*Bert, what motivates him? What went wrong between him and the snake?

What about the guy from Robotron?

THe character is supposed to be a robot himself, so full life support would be appropriate. Automaton abilities would not be out of the question.

This character seems to be able to go FOREVER. So 0 End on everything.

The ability to walk one direction while aiming another suggests 360 degree vision.

His main power appears to be an autofire RKA of some sort.

For disadvantages I would give him the nastiest hunted ever, along with something like "Strives to protect the last human family".

I vaguely remember a Q-bert cartoon. It was part of the Pac-Man power hour or something. About the same time that Nerds cereal hit (i think)' date=' if that helps narrow the time for ya......[/quote']

Nope. Try Saterday Supercade (over at CBS, and Pac-Man was over on ABC, along with Dragon's Lair). By the way, here was the Saterday Supercade lineup (in no praticuar order)

Donky Kong (named after the 'villian', and the first cartoon apperance of Mario, along with the next cartoon)

Donky Kong Jr. (yes, he had a sepret cartoon show where Jr. tries to save papa from Mario)

QBert

Froger (If I remember corectly)

And finaly...Space Ace.

That should tell you how old I am. That I acualy remember the Saterday Supercade cartoon block. Heck, I remember when NBC acualy HAD a cartoon block. (Im sorry. but Discovery Kids and Kerry The Shark dose not make a block of cartoons). Heck, I remember when there was new sindicated cartoons for the indpendent stations.

Yeah' date=' Saturday mornings have lost a lot of their charm, haven't they?[/quote']

True. ABC had just about nothing (Disney stuff, mostly), CBS has Nickolonian stuff (and if I wanted to watch it, I would go and subscrbe to cable myself), and NBC has...mostly nothing. The only two places which have decent cartoons are WB and Fox (of course, there is always cable...but why waist a good Saterday Morning when you can tune into Cartoon Network during the afternoon to eavening and watch).

Anyways, that is my opinion. And, in Milwaukee, the Fox Box shows are runed on a Sunday. But enougth of that.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah' date=' Saturday mornings have lost a lot of their charm, haven't they?[/quote']

It's deliberate. the FCC has decided kids don't need that stuff anymore. Of course, kids never needed it per se, but boy did they like it back in the day.

Now cartoons are something you buy on DVD or watch on cable.

What sort of evil cult is this FCC? They say I can't watch movies on TV with bad words or naked chicks, and on the other hand, say I can't watch cartoons on Saturday?

Remember -- the Foirst Amendemnt doesn;t apply to you unless you agree with the Administration. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the FCC has had a grudge against escapsit "children's programming" for a long time. It is a long-standing belief that any rpogramming baltantly aimed at children that is not obviously education is not a good idea for children.

Of course, MY opinion is that no child should be exposed to television utnil they turn 10. They should be playing outside or doing other things that are healthier for them than sitting in front of a flickering screen. The proiblem with that, fo course, is that cartoons by their vary nature are an often-guilty pleasure for adults and the cutback in network programming has hurt people who don;t have cable and who like a little escapism every once in a while.

Now everything worth watching originates on cable, and usually stays there.