Voices of a Distant Star

Michael Hopcroft

I just saw an anime movie I had purchased, but had not watched for a while. Why on Earth was i foolish enough to put off wtaching Voices of a Distant Star? This movie, which was done by a very small crew, is utterly inredible.

In one sense, it's a story fo a mecha pilot and the boy she left behind 9and it does have some incredible battle seuqences), but on the other hand it's a wrenching story of the effects of relativity on a relationship. Advanced cellphones can send messages light-years into space, but they can only travel at the speed of light so a message can take years top get from Sirius to Earth.

Not to mention the necha are very cool -- especially the cockpits, which seem to be floating in the middle of space giving the pilot a 360-degree view of the surroundings. Strangely enough, the vision only reinformces the terrible isolation felt by the heroine as the film progresses and she gets farther and farther from the boy she loves....

It's amazing that all this was essentially done by one mand, working pretty much alone. make me wonder why I'm doing games when i could be making movies.

Oh yes, i can;t draw. that's why.

Originally posted by NuSoardGraphite

Great Anime.

Saw it at last year's San Diego Comicon when I was running the projector in one of the anime rooms.

360^ cockpits are very cool. been a big fan of those since I saw Char's Counterattack back in the day. (the VF-19 of Macross Plus fame also sports a 360 cockpit)

Someday I'll have to go to one of the big anime cons. You get to see the most interesting stuff at the big cons, plus the license announcements are always made there.

The thing about Voices of a Distant Star is that it is essentially a solo project. I didn;t think that was entirely possible in anime.

In the meanwhile, thosemecha would be quite interesting. And I don't quite understand the ending -- is she alive of dead?

They do a lot of premiers at the cons too. I saw the World Premier of Macross Plus (the Japanese hadn't even seen it yet. Shoji Kawamori showed up to anime expo that year and stole the copy of the OAV they had just finished...he was a day late because he was putting the finishing touches on it! The studio didn't want him to show it, but he did anyway)

Escaflowne: The Movie

Guyver II: Dark Hero (Cheesy, I know, but I liked it. I'm a Guyver fan)

Macross II: Lovers Again (back in the day!)

and the Jubei Ninpucho OAV series.

The cons aren't as good as they used to be (the fandom has grown far too large. Its too commercial now) but now we get to see just about everything thats out and available, so thats very cool.