Western Hero

tmutant

I definitely want to do another Western Hero. I already have bunches of researched Western game writing that didn't make it into any Deadlands supplements, and I can easily build from that into a way cool WH book. But, as Darren so correctly notes, WH is way down the priority list.

Nevertheless I'm always on the lookout for useful reference sources. Just got a great one on Sunday, about trains.

Here's kind of an odd thought...

I wonder if it would be feasible or desirable to do "combo" genre books for genres that might be narrow enough (in scope or in popularity) to make a whole genre book more problematic, as long at the genres being "comboed" in the book have some kind of quasi-logical link.

For example, you might be able to do a half-and-half book with Western Hero and Victorian Age Hero, because they're largely set in the same time period. While the feel of the stories is usually pretty different, there would be enough material applicable to both (due to similar technology levels, world events, and so on) that it might not seem unreasonable.

Likewise, you might be able to do a half-and-half book of Swashbuckling Hero and Revolutionary Hero (both high-adventure genres set more-or-less in the Renaissance), or a combo book of Cyber Hero and Post-Holocaust Hero (both near-future settings with a dark flavor).

Just musing... :)

Note: I wrote this before I saw Steve's post about Western Hero. I certainly don't wanna discourage Steve from doing a whole western book if he wants to. ;)

Originally posted by Steve Long

I definitely want to do another Western Hero. I already have bunches of researched Western game writing that didn't make it into any Deadlands supplements, and I can easily build from that into a way cool WH book. But, as Darren so correctly notes, WH is way down the priority list.

Nevertheless I'm always on the lookout for useful reference sources. Just got a great one on Sunday, about trains.

I didn't expect such a speedy reply from "the horse's mouth", as it were. Thanks, Steve.:)

Guest AGLAR
Originally posted by Alibear

I thought that Western Hero was "one of the best" of the 4th edition stuff. I only had one gripe - The Sundance Kid. Talk about your stat.-inflation:eek:

EvilLuke almost spewed when I showed him Sundance's Fast Draw skill... Not to mention his DEX.

Guest AGLAR

....or his ocv or his.......cute picture?

No way could an army stop him with that write-up!:D

For those that don't own Western Hero, here are some of Sundances' stats.

STR 17

Dex 26

Con 14

Body 14

Int 14

Ego 18

Pre 21

Com 20

SPD 5

Talent - Fast Draw 25 or less

+5 levels with Pistols

+3 levels with Ranged Combat

Hey, where is the limitation for being unable to swim? :)

Don't forget this was 4th edition when anything above 20 was "a bit special". Never mind 5 speed!

What did you think of the book as a whole Aglar? Me I'm a big fan, perhaps because it is a genre that I am not too familiar with and I got lots of ideas and insights from it.

ps one of my friends gets a mention in the book, look for Bill King and Wolf Riders, in the bibliography I think?:)

God Bless Scotland.

Guest AGLAR

Don't forget this was 4th edition when anything above 20 was "a bit special". Never mind 5 speed!

What did you think of the book as a whole Aglar? Me I'm a big fan, perhaps because it is a genre that I am not too familiar with and I got lots of ideas and insights from it.

ps one of my friends gets a mention in the book, look for Bill King and Wolf Riders, in the bibliography I think?:)

God Bless Scotland.

I have just flipped through it a couple of times, so I do not have a firm impression. I thought about converting Deadlands to Hero and bought this book to help me. Then I decided that the Deadlands flavor would be nigh impossible to convert to Hero (my opinion) and decided to play Deadlands using Deadlands' rules, etc.

I do that alot. Buy a Hero book, glance through it once or twice, toss it on the pile until I have a specific need/game that requires looking at it again.

I will look for Bill King and the Wolf Riders when I get home this PM.

Originally posted by Gary Ciaramella

Western Hero All I have to say is that a rattlesnake with a 10 strength is WRONG... I've never seen one of those critters wrap it's tail around a grown man and do a Bam Bam maneuver, have you?

Sorry, I have to disagree. I know of two people who have had their legs broken by rattlesnake strikes threw thick leather boots.

Guest AGLAR
Originally posted by Agent Escafarc

Sorry, I have to disagree. I know of two people who have had their legs broken by rattlesnake strikes threw thick leather boots.

Floridians! Can't use butterfly ballots! Can't program the VCR. Take double body from rattlesnakes...

;)

Guest AGLAR

You can programme VCR's?

To do what?

a)Assasinate people?

b)Become Mormons?

or

c)something worse than both of my examples, your choice?

C) Play DnD. VCR's have the more than enough creativity to play honkin' powerful DnD characters!!

I mean how hard is it to...

[*]See enemy

[*]Kill enemy.

[*]Grab loot.

[*]Repeat.

[/list=1]

A VCR can do that easily!

(dives into nearest foxhole)

Originally posted by AGLAR

For those that don't own Western Hero, here are some of Sundances' stats.

STR 17

Dex 26

Con 14

Body 14

Int 14

Ego 18

Pre 21

Com 20

SPD 5

Talent - Fast Draw 25 or less

+5 levels with Pistols

+3 levels with Ranged Combat

Hey, where is the limitation for being unable to swim? :)

wow. hehehe

FH Campaign:

"You're hired to hunt down and capture the bandit Sundance...."