Dark Champions: Secret Worlds

RDU Neil

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great to be able to play in that game. :(

Even if it were possible, I would probably have trouble working up a character.

Although since someone already does a Kali based character, "Shivatar" would probably not work, and the extra limbs would probably violate the fundamentals anyway, as would "the Natural Knight" with his body of metal . He would be kind of a Colossus type who joined the SCA or some such. My concept for bricks usually involves armor instead of DR, just because that is the way I think.

another idea I have been playing with would "rub the rhubarb" of another character. A light brick who wears armor that appears to be powered, and uses custom guns, etc.

A teleporter? Never actually made one...

I have thought of using teleportation and wormholes to effectively stretch...

I really like the idea of a brick with stretching, and stretching and extra limbs would be even better. "The Octopod" aka "Captain Calamari" was one I was working on, but never got a chance to play.

I guess I had better get going on trying to start my own game.

Now that I've finally had the chance to read the entire set of posts (wow--what a load of work that must've been to put up!), I'm ready to say, with full confidence, that this new universe betrays all the skill of the RDU, but with a grittier feel to it. It makes me want to design a character along these lines myself. I'll be impatient to see the next set of write-ups.

Oh--and character sheets! Storn, Ferrett, etc, should all put up their sheets so we can take a look...

Hopefully some players will chime in with comments, as Storn did... (who, by the way, writes such recaps for his Fantasy game over on PEGINC.Com)

Thanks for the plug, Neil. Folks, I'm no where near as good as Neil in doing write ups though.

I'll get character sheet up today, as well as my doodle of Terry.

here ya go...

Terry Owens

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- 400kg; 4d6

23 DEX 48 14- OCV: 8; DCV: 8

18 CON 16 13-

18 BODY 16 13-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

18 EGO 16 13- ECV: 6

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack 4d6

10 COM 0 11-

9 PD 6 Total PD/rPD: 17/8

4 ED 0 Total ED/rED: 12/8

5 SPD 27 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

8 REC 0

36 END 0

37 STUN 0

Movement:

Runnning: 8"/16"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Leaping: 6"/12"

Cost Powers END/Roll

5 Regeneration (1 Body/1 Day) ; Reduced Endurance (Zero Endurance): +½; Persistent: +½; Self Only: -½; Extra Time (1 Day): -2¾ (20) 0

4 8" Running (+2", 16" Noncombat) ; Noncombat (Miles Per Phase): 0.02 (4) 1

2 Mental Defense (6 pts) (2)

3 6" Leaping (+2", 12" Noncombat) ; Noncombat (Miles Per Phase): 0.01 (3) 1

5 1d6 Luck (5)

Cost Skills, Perks Roll

Combat Skills

8 +1 Combat with All Combat

10 +2 Combat with Ranged Combat

10 Two-Weapon Fighting: Ranged

29 Dirty Infighting

4 Disarm (OCV -1, DCV +1, Disarm, STR 30)

4 Kidney Blow (OCV -2, DCV +0, 1d6+1 HKA)

4 Low Blow (OCV -1, DCV +1, 2d6 NND)

4 Punch (OCV +0, DCV +2, STR Strike, 6d6)

5 Roundhouse (OCV -2, DCV +1, STR Strike, 8d6)

3 Throw (OCV +0, DCV +1, STR Strike, 4d6+v/5, Target Falls)

4 Martial Block (OCV +2, DCV +2, Block, Abort)

1 Weapon Element; (Common Melee Weapons) Blades: 1; (Common Melee Weapons) Fist-Loads: 0

---

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Climbing 14-

3 Concealment 12-

3 Combat Driving 14-

3 Demolitions 12-

3 Disguise 12-

3 Fast Draw (Small Arms); Weapon: Small Arms 14-

2 KS: KS: Merc underworld 11-

1 KS: Knowlege Skill: Assassin Cults 8-

1 Afghan (Basic Conversation); Fluency: Basic Conversation; Literacy: Standard, 0

3 Paramedic 12-

3 Security Systems 12-

5 Shadowing 13-

3 Stealth 14-

5 Streetwise 14-

2 Survival 12-

3 Systems Operation 12-

9 Tactics 15-

5 WF: ; (Small Arms) Small Arms: 2; (Common Melee Weapons) Blades: 1; (Common Melee Weapons) Fist-Loads: 0; (Emplaced Weapons) Mortars: 1; (Emplaced Weapons) Recoilless Guns: 1

150+ Disadvantages

5 Distinctive Features: big man, military short hair, scarred forearms (Easily Concealed, Feature Is Noticed And Recognizable)

5 Distinctive Features: Shiva brand on L. palm (Easily Concealed, Feature Is Always Noticed And Causes Major Reaction/Prejudice)

10 Generic Disadvantage: To be determined by GM (Common, Moderate)

10 Harmful Secret: Assassin (8-, Major)

15 Hunted: Interpol (More Powerful, 8-, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: Secret Powers That Be (More Powerful, 8-, Harshly Punish)

15 Psychological Limitation: Compulsion: Must use Shiva signet ring on contracted targets (Common, Strong)

20 Psychological Limitation: Needs something to believe in... or will continue on self destructive path (Very Common, Strong)

10 Reputation: Hired Killer (11-)

15 Subject To Orders: Assassin Cabal, unknown Geas (11-, Major)

10 Vengeful (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Watched: Secret Cabal of Assassins who saved him and branded him and feed him jobs. (More Powerful, 11-, Watching)

Equipment

0 Sig Sauer P229 (1d6+1K); OCV: +0; R Mod: 0; DC: 4; STUNx: +0; STR Min: 12; Shots: 12; Weight: 0

0 Sig Sauer P229 (1d6+1K); OCV: +0; R Mod: 0; DC: 4; STUNx: 0; STR Min: 12; Shots: 12; Weight: 0

0 Kevlar: Vest (Coverage: 10-, PD 5, ED 5); Weight: 3½

0 Light Kevlar: Duster (Coverage: 15-, PD 3, ED 3); Weight: 3.3

0 Dagger (1d6+1K, OCV: +1); DC: 2; STUNx: 0; STR Min: 8; Weight: 0

Can Be Thrown

0 Brass Knuckles (5d6N, OCV: +0); DC: 5; STUNx: --; STR Min: 20; Weight: 0

Costs: Char.: 152 Disad.: 150

Powers: + 142 Base: + 150

Total: = 294 Total: = 300

Thanks, Geoff...

I figure you would grok on this game. It has that "street" feel to it that you incorporated with Speedball... but it can be a little more authentic since the power set is low and thugs with guns are actually dangerous... not to be taken lightly, at least.

The feel of this game is actually one I'm struggling with. I've always enjoyed the low level "heroic" campaigns. Agents and PIs and soldiers built on 100-150 total points. Normal, if well trained, people that fit movies and TV shows like "24" or "The Package" or "Heat."

Then I realized that I wanted a wilder, more pulpy element to the game. I still wanted guns and knives to be dangerous... I didn't want true supers... but I wanted the PCs to be larger than life... and I wanted the world to have surprises in it... that it wasn't limited to "realistic" plots... but could touch on science fiction, horror... whatever.

Essentially, I was looking to recreate the 1930s Pulps... but in a modern environment. Not so much the melodrama of names like the Shadow or Doc Savage... but that sense of adventure and exploring conspiracies and mysteries, like Indiana Jones. This is not easy in a world where far off lands aren't far off any more, and lost civilizations aren't lost any more. I started looking at new cultural mysteries and beliefs. The best example I can think of is Alias on ABC. Sydney Bristow is clearly a "Special" in my mind. She has been conditioned since birth to be a special agent, has destiny in her DNA, and is involved in this Rimbaldi conscpiracy. She's not so super that bullets and knives don't hurt her, but she is clearly a "step up" from the rest of the crowd. They are really good at their job... but she is exceptional.

There are a number of issues with making this work... primarily being the need to have five or six characters feel "special" rather than just one. Second is to have the characters feel unique, when it is very easy to overlap skills sets and abilities. Third is creating "secrets" that have some verisimilitude. This is a world where pretty much anything can be researched and explained with 20 minutes on Google. How does one create hidden "Secrect Worlds" that players can believe would actually remain hidden in our information rich world?

Finally, I didn't know how far the characters would push the game. Would they really try to be superhuman... or would they end up more subtle in the "Speciality" It's a difficult balance to maintain. I want characters to have a believable motivation to adventure... to take risks that most people would avoid as seriously life threatening... but they should still avoid the casual "nothing can hurt me" attitude of most games, especially supers. It is still very dangerous... death will happen... etc. I think this group is very solid in their play style, but I know I'll be tweaking things for some time to get it right.

(As for character sheets, that would be up to the players, and I understand if they feel proprietary toward them.)

I get the feeling that you're thinking about all the right issues, that you're developing the world exactly the way you're envisioning it, and that the players are very happy with it so far.

I would see myself playing a fabulously wealthy (Thomas Crowne-esque), impecably dressed gentleman with loads of contacts, favors, etc., and the reputation as something of an effete dilletante, all the while packing a pair of .45s. Kind of Bruce Wayne meets the White Ghost, I guess. I see his only 'power' being his amazing ability to use his various means at his disposal (high presence, money, luck, and reputation) to get out of a dirty situation smelling like a rose. An example?

"Well, sure it looks like [insert character name here], but he would *never* get involved in that sort of thing! He's a pillar of the community!"

or

"Mr. [insert character name here] emphatically denies his involvement in this unfortunate incident is can name both the Governor and the Attorney General as alibi witnesses for the night the crime took place."

In general, just a fast-talker who, in *this world* might use his abilities and resources to evage government regulations of his business to make the maximum profit. In *your world* he uses them to make sure justice is done, the weak are protected, and the guilty punished.

Justice... heh...

And your character would be the only one who was interested in "justice" as far as I can tell. Allowing folks to come up with their own character ideas... we see that notions of "justice" quickly go the way of the dinosaur when faced with a more "real world" campaign.

I have two full time criminals and a wetworks mercenary... out of five characters. Of the other two, one is just working for boss out of lack of other options... and the closest we get to someone seeking justice is a paranoid, nearly insane fugitive scientist who wants to expose the "real" government and all it's secrets.

I think it's just as likely as these guys will end up killing each other as to try and do good! ;)

We'll see what happens as they get to know each other.

Hitoshi Ryu

Hi. I'm BonHed. You might remember me from such posts as "When Mentalists Attack..."

I've been playing in Neil's games for some time now (jeez, 6 or 7 years now, I think), and while I love the previous "RDU", I think "Secret Worlds" has the potential to totally blow away the RDU.

Four Colour Spandex Wearing supers has never been my genre of choice. My characters almost never wear a "costume," at least not the standard style (to harken back to another long running Storn post, my characters have pockets). Usually I do the overcoat kinda thing.

I also usually take on the role of the Combat Monster. Storn is filling this role in the new campaign, playing what is normally an "Eric Character." I think I surprised everyone by playing a sneaky type.

It was really funny, though. All through the beginning of the game, everyone thought that I was going to be the vigilante. All were very surprised when the lights went out, and it wasn't caused by my character! And I kept saying, "It's not me! I have nothing to do with this!"

It's been a long time since I was thinking all day about what kind of cool things my character will/can do. The day of the game I was coming up with all sorts of cool "Ninja" tricks; like keeping at least one clip of blanks that I can sleight-of-hand swap should I need to hand anyone my gun, and have squibbs and blood packets about my body, you know, just in case...

I had a lot of fun sneaking about the garage, totally throwing the other players for a loop. Wheee!

And this bit with my character's sister. Man! Neil, you are evil. (It was a total fluke... I used the name Hitoshi, which Neil used as McGreggor's bodyguard. Neither of us knew it at the time, and Neil ran with it. Very cool!)

As for a character sheet, no-can-do. My characters are a part of me; make up your own Ninja!

Great stuff

I like the inital set up especially . Seeing how you bring the group together is well done . I'm going to use it as a template for my own games . While I've never been a fan of the Dark Champions : Heroes of Vengence setting . Your game postings and The Animated Series settings are more to my taste . Looking forward to reading more of your stuff . And thanks for plugging Storn's Fantasy campaign and link .

QM

Originally posted by Storn

The skills and powers might be Pulp.

But the characters are Noir.

Oh definitely noir. Noir with a "kick." Again... this is something to work on during the game... to try and make the "feel" right... when the feel is not easily defined.

Interesting challenge, that's for sure.

Re: Hitoshi Ryu

Originally posted by BonHed

>>snip<<

Four Colour Spandex Wearing supers has never been my genre of choice. My characters almost never wear a "costume," at least not the standard style (to harken back to another long running Storn post, my characters have pockets). Usually I do the overcoat kinda thing.

A lot of us have struggled with the superhero concept... which is why I think the RDU was so successful... we never rested on genre convention... but tried to forge our own creation.

>>snip<<

It was really funny, though. All through the beginning of the game, everyone thought that I was going to be the vigilante. All were very surprised when the lights went out, and it wasn't caused by my character! And I kept saying, "It's not me! I have nothing to do with this!" [/b]

It was classic... as I had set it up so the players knew an attack was imminent, but the characters didn't. It's nice to have a group of mature players who don't metagame the session... they stay in character and make decisions in character. That is huge, because as a GM, I don't have to hide stuff from the players (unless I want to surprise them) and this allows the players to feel like "readers/viewers" as much as players. They see the big picture in a way their character's don't... which I think enhances their involvement in the world... and reduces the "us vs. GM" attitude that is the hallmark of too many RPGs.

>>snip<<

And this bit with my character's sister. Man! Neil, you are evil. (It was a total fluke... I used the name Hitoshi, which Neil used as McGreggor's bodyguard. Neither of us knew it at the time, and Neil ran with it. Very cool!)

[/b]

Truly an unexpected bit. McGregor's master... I just made up his name on the fly as an NPC... Master Hitoshi. Then Eric submitted his character... a Japanese ninja named Hitoshi... and I thought "Can't but work with this!" THEN, right before the game, Joe came up with a list of NPCs (much cooler and more flavorful than I expected) and had one of them be Hitoshi's daughter... McGregor's bodyguard. On the fly, I made up the whole sister/brother thing... which played out as one of the most satisfying role playing moments in the game. Gotta love serendipity! :cool:

RDU Neil...cool set up...how did tnkering with MA work out? I was wondering because to me it seemed like maybe the problem was an artifact of the senario and the overabundance of bulletproffing available...if you did "power-down" MA, did you also lower Haymaker? Also will you be worried about "skill MA's?" I'm just curious because I prefer street level feel to even full power supers and like to steal ideas from any source available....

Originally posted by pinecone

RDU Neil...cool set up...how did tnkering with MA work out? I was wondering because to me it seemed like maybe the problem was an artifact of the senario and the overabundance of bulletproffing available...if you did "power-down" MA, did you also lower Haymaker? Also will you be worried about "skill MA's?" I'm just curious because I prefer street level feel to even full power supers and like to steal ideas from any source available....

Haven't played again, to test the new MA's. I have used it in other, truly Heroic level games (150 pt characters) and it worked well. I think it will work out.

I'm not as concerned with Haymaker... because of the full phase activation. If a character decides to throw one, they are exposed and at low DCV... which is a big risk. Think of scenes where the villain has the hero down, raises the sledge hammer above his head and screaming "RAAAAAAARRRGGHHHH!!" as he summons his strength... giving the hero plenty of time to grab the gun and empty the clip into him. :D

To my PCs... hey let's try this, and see what happens! :D

Actually, I saw this message at the same time as Storn, and his reply was, "Man... we just never use haymaker in this group... never have." Which is true. Just not a maneuver that was every utilized by the players... but in Supers, I have an alternate push rule that probably supercedes it. (Can push up to half the active points of the power, at 1 for 1. Allows some big attacks... and some very exhausted heroes... which was usually really cool from a dramatic point of view.)

Cool, please do let me know if you can, I seldom see Haymakers either but I do use them in heroic play...especially if I use a skill MA..."Aimed shot at the head....he's stunned? cool, Haymaker!" It also follows a flash or eye gouge as well....I guess most martial artists are too elegant to croch kick, eye gouge then haymaker...no style, no savoir fair...:)

Re: Secret Worlds: The Avenger falls...

Originally posted by RDU Neil

"Hmmm... my 9mm is ineffective... I better start punching, as that does more damage!"

If the old Superman TV series taught me anything, when your gun doesn't hurt them you're supposed to throw it at them! ;)

Re: Re: Secret Worlds: The Avenger falls...

Originally posted by Blue

If the old Superman TV series taught me anything, when your gun doesn't hurt them you're supposed to throw it at them! ;)

Doh! What was I thinking... of course!

I had the completely wrong idea when I said, "gun slinging!" ;)

Secret Worlds: Then There Were Two

This week, the regular group imploded, as real life intruded. (DAMN REALITY!) Out of five players, only three showed, and one of them got called home to a sick wife. (Hope Erin is feeling better, Eric.) That being said, it was enjoyable to focus on just a couple of characters, and give them some front time they might not have achieved, otherwise.

PCs - Mr. Jones (James), Damian McGregor (Joe), and Hitoshi Ryu (Eric).

As with most of my games, I do some individual setup, via e-mail, prior to our regular Thursday evening FtF session. This "blue booking" allows private information to be exchanged, and get the players motivated and moving before the game actually starts.

The main e-mail setup I used this week was with Damian... below are excerpts..

McGregor confronts Jasmine about the man she was confronting as they all ran from the garage, at the end of the last session.

Jasmine says, "He is from the Nine Flower Gang. San Francisco has always been their nawabari. This is why I didn't want to come here, in the first place." You do remember her resistance when you said you wanted to head to the West Coast, but she followed orders, and you forgot about it.

"This one... he is more than a simple kobun... he is part of their ikka, but outside the gumi. He is genin..." she says this last part, low and subdued. "He answers directly to the Oyabun... and is his prime agent. He is an assassin. He is ninja..." she turns away, and you've never seen her like this before. Finally she says, "He is my brother."

She continues, "I have not seen my brother since we were children. Nor has my father. Please let me be the one to speak to him. It is a source of great shame to my family... something I'd hoped to leave behind by coming to America. But now..." She shakes her head.

"Anyway, Ryu... my brother... was offering a proposal. The Yakuza wish to meet with you. They will expect a part of the money, for you to operate in their nawabari. I do not think he had anything to do with the attack by that Avenger guy. That is not their style... but there will be questions... and it will make relationships with Wu more difficult."

She is all back to business now "You should meet with them. I can set it up. They may even help track down this armored psycho. If you don't talk to them, don't ever expect to set foot in San Fran again, without things getting bloody, fast."

Damian takes this in stride, asking Melissa to set up a meeting with Ryu, but wanting to push it up the ladder to the Oyabun. He knows it is a risk, but he is suddenly caught between making good on the money from the broken up fight, maintaining relations with Wu, who has been a friendly patron of McGregor's, and trying to decide whether it is even worth the effort to deal with the Yakuza, or just leave town. In the day following that event, he spends most of the time making sure his people are safe, looking (but not finding) his name in the news stories about the fight, and planning how he will dig out from this fiasco.

Cut scene: The first scene of the FtF game, was actually a cut scene, where I describe something completely outside the characters knowledge, but helping the players understand what is going on, and the results of their encounters.

Fade in from black. Hazy gray... that slowly focuses to show splintered, dirty wood. A scrabbling form... a rat.. picking at something in the corner... image perpendicular rather than horizontal. Camera shifts 90 degrees... indicating the view would come from someone lying on the floor... a groan sounds, and the camera pulls back to show the battered form of the Avenger lying in a puddle of blood in a bare an dingy room. He sits up slowly... right hand coming up to release the face mask, which pops off with a clatter... the pale stark face underneath spits blood. His internal thoughts act like captions to the scene as it unfolds.

"Made it home it seems. No memory of how. Training served." The figure looks around, then pulls himself up against the dirty cot. Sharp intakes of breath indicate the agony of such a move. "It happened sooner than I thought. They were ready for me, this time."

His right hand peels off the helmet, revealing a shaved head, as if shaved with a knife, not a razor. A gaunt face with wild dark eyes, cut musculature in the cheeks and jaw indicating extremely low body fat. He gently cradles his left arm.

"Armor breached in forearm plate... believe bullet still lodged between bones." He catalogues his wounds to himself as he peels out of his armor. "Took shot to shoulder. No penetration, didn't notice impact at the time. Sword cut separated frontal deltoid... but cut is clean. Center chest plate absorbed lethal hit from pistol round," he says, and winces, pulling the plate away from his stomach to reveal a massive bruise underneath. " Down to just his pants, he actually whimpers as he pulls his left leg up, inspecting his knee. "Bullet pentrated nomex at the joint. Shattered cartilage is grinding. Will require reconstruction of ball joint, and multiple tendon staples... arm first..."

Focusing through the pain, the Avenger reaches for a small, dirty refrigerator and opens the door. Brushing out the cockroaches, he pulls a plastic sealed baggy out of the ice tray and rips open a triage kit of surgical tools. Taking a pair of forceps in his right hand, he rests his left arm on the bed and ties off a piece of twine at his elbow. Then he reaches into the open wound on his forearm, with the forceps, and with a steady pull and a "MMMMRREEAAARRGGHHH!" from between clenched teeth, he extracts the round. He takes a deep breath... and then passes out sideways on the bed.

Blackness begins to part again... the Avenger sees the door of his room open. The bluriness doesn't go away. Two figures walk into the room, seemingly surrounded in a glowing nimbus. "The angels have returned," thinks the Avenger... and then outloud, "I have be true to the mission..." he gasps... and then goes unconscious again.

The blur fades, and the two figures are revealed to be men in surgical masks, gloves, and protective medical clothing. "He continues to resist the sedative," says the first, "That shows strength." T

he second says, "He will need extensive surgery and may not be operational again. Should we considere this experiment a success, or failure?"

The first shrugs, "Not really our decision, but three successful missions, before this. I'd say that was a good start."

The two move in toward the Avenger. "So... do you think we should activate No. 2?" asks the second.

Fade to black.

(More later... must get some lunch before a meeting.)

Secret Worlds: The Aftermath...

Camera ends the last scene by focusing in on the helmet of the Avenger lying discarded on the ground... closer and closer until the image becomes indistint, and then pulling out again, showing a grainy, digitized image of the Avenger on a computer screen. The computer is in a dark room, the image projected on the wall, and around it sit Omar Stang, his second Jolly Rogers, and at the computer, working on digital enhancements, Mr. Jones.

It has been a busy day, stretching into the second, after the fight in the garage. Upon returning to Stang's mansion, Dr. Berkmann had been given a room, and buried himself there, writing theories that might work into this "Specials" concept he'd so recently discovered. Terry Owens, considering a longer term job working with Stang as bodyguard and in other roles, was given a chance to begin familiarizing himeself in detail with the mansion, it's security and resources... as well as submitting to more tests with Dr. Cole, who still isn't sure what makes him tick.

That left Mr. Jones, Rogers and Stang to analyze all the data collected about the Avenger... calculating his speed and strength from timed film shots that show him to be moving at near optimal speeds for a human. No single action being out of the reach of the human body, but to coordinate optimal move after optimal move, while fighting multiple oppenents and subjected to gunfire... clearly indicates this person is a "Special." It is during this analysis that Mr. Jones notes something important.

In one of the last combat shots Jones took, he notices a feint background image beyond all the combatants. With top of the line enchancement algorythms, he brings up this blur, and with multiple extrapolations, eventually creates a clear image of a man, up in the beams of the garage, above the fight, only his eyes, forehead and short spiky hair showing above a half mask and indistinct black clad body. In his hand, a silenced, matte black pistol. They discuss the option that the Avenger had back-up, but there was no indication this guy attacked anyone else, and he clearly had ample opportunity. Mr. Jones remembers one single shot that hit the Avenger, but no one knew where it came from. Rogers rules out a miss that happened to hit his partner. "A guy like that," he says, staring at the eyes. "He doesn't miss what he aims at... not from that advantage." Mr. Jones suspects this might be the source of the inital blurry image he caught sneaking into the garage. He copies the picture of the man's eyes/forehead... and starts running a match search through the FBI database... to which he has established a secure backdoor access.

The scene fades, with a focus in on the picture of those eyes, closer and closer... until it pulls out again, showing those same eyes, but real this time, on the face of Ryu, sitting in a large office foyer, dressed as a non-descript Japanese "salary man" waiting outside the offices of Oyabun Kuchinishi Ichiro. It is the early, two days after the fight, and Genin Hitoshi is waiting to be summuned to his Master's desk. He has submitted a report, and now is going to be asked to speak to the Oyabun in person. Normal, everyday work is going on in the Westcorp building. It is the home of Kuchinishi Finance & Commodities, a legitimate business that is integral to the Koru Zaibatsu... and a front for Nine Flower Gang Yakuza activities. Finally, the secretary, perfect in makup and poise, indicates that Kuchinishi-san is ready, and Ryu enters his western style office, ready to make his report.

(GM Note: Unfortunately, at this very moment, Eric was called home and we were unable to continue the scene. This really through my entire game plan for the evening right out the window... so I had to do some superspeed improvising to keep things rolling. This will have serious repercussions, later.)

More later.

Secret Worlds: Second Episode cont'd

After scrambling to pick up the game, we cut to Damian McGregor. He has been working out details, and realized that he really needs to contact Wu. If he can make good with this man, high up in the Triads working out of China, and up until now, friendly gambler who enjoyed McGregor's "product." Damian gets funds together to recompense Wu, plus 20 percent... and psyches himself up to make the call. Wu's right hand man Chow Yen, answers, and is pleased to hear from McGregor. After niceties are passed between them, Chow Yen asks if Damian would be available for a "late lunch" at the Emerald Palace, a Chinese restaurant that Wu owns. Damian has been their before. He agrees to meet them there in an hour or so. It is a tense discussion, but seems to work out well.

As soon as he hangs up... off a land line scanned for bugs... his cell phone rings. (Jokes that it is Wu, shouting, "We change our mind! You die now!" erupt at this point.) It is Michael, Damian's brother. With a heavy sigh, McGregor answers it. "Hey, bro!"

"What the hell is going on... Damian? I see you made it into the newspapers?" Damian thinks his name was mentioned and he missed it, but Michael is just referring to the reports of the fight and the few arrested patrons. Damian's name hasn't hit the press, at least.

"I've got it under control, Michael. Don't worry."

"I always worry about you. And Vinnie is due in two days, I believe. This fiasco must have cost you. Do I have to run interference for you?" Damian thinks about the vig he has to pay to the family, and that it is due to Vinnie, the collector, really soon. He knows he has the liquid cash to cover... but it will hurt, since so much has to go to cover unpaid markers from the disrupted fights.

"I've got it, bro. I said I can handle it, and I will. Vinnie will get his due. I gotta go, now. Say hi to dad for me."

"Ok... but we'll be watching you," says Michael.

"You always are," says Damian, hanging up... muttering "Prick..." under his breath. Then he heads to Wu's.

Cut back to

Mr. Jones: Conversing with Stang about follow up plans, Jones confronts the man, saying, "I'm not saying I'm not glad to be working for you, sir. I'm grateful for all you've done. I've just got to ask... why are we looking for these Specials? What are we going to do?"

Stang nods, saying, "That is a legitimate question, but not one I'm ready to answer, right now. I thought I would have more time... that it would take longer to track these people down... so I need to re-evaluate my options at this point. I will tell you, though, that there is a personal element to this. It may not be a long term gathering... that remains to be seen... but I believe I need those of you, like yourself, to accomplish certain goals. If I actually have the people to move to an active planning stage, then I will reveal more... but regardless, I value you for all your skills, and your position with me is secure."

Stang then asks Mr. Jones to track down Wu. Stang has a past relationship with the man... with the Triads it seems, and knows about Wu's restaurant. He wants Jones to go there, do his recon thing... see if he can get any information about the Avenger, or this McGregor person, since it has been nearly two days, and there has been no call. (Yes... this is the GM turning up the Contrive-o-meter to 11, but hey, things need to keep clicking along.)

Mr. Jones outfits himself, gun... camera... pocket PC and phone, and heads out.

Cut to:

McGregor arrives at the Emerald Palace, and is met by Chow Yen at the door. They go past the front dining room, to a Private Dining area in the back. A couple mooks eat noodles at the entrance, and Damian is seated at Wu's table.

About this time, Mr. Jones shows up, parks, and on his way into the restaurant, spots McGregor's '04 Steel Grey Corvette with the "Fighter" license plate in th parking lot. He calls into Stang to report McGregor's presence. Stang says he should observe as much as he can, but approach McGregor if opportunity to do so comes up. Jones easily walks into the restaurant unobserved... pokes around until he sees McGregor, Chow Yen and Wu... and passes through the beaded curtain behind a waiter positioning himself to listen in, and nobody notices at all.

McGregor and Wu exchange pleasantries, and at mention of the "unfortunate occurrences" of the other evening McGregor passes the money, saying he hopes that this small gift can begin to make up for any inconvenience Mr. Wu suffered during the attack. The gift is well received, politely put away, and the meeting goes on to be very pleasant, as both parties discuss the attack of the Avenger, and Wu even offers to spread the good word that all markers will be covered, and that patrons will suffer no loss. Clearly to him, the money doesn't mean as much as the fact that McGregor handles it like a professional, and Wu is eager to see the fight's start up again.

The meal goes well, until McGregor decides to tell Wu about the Yakuza. He is open and honest with this man, knowing that the bad blood between the Chinese and Japanese criminal elements is just a craptacular place to be caught. Wu is very considerate of this information, but the meeting becomes tense again. Mr. Jones clearly hears reference to the Nine Flower Gang.

Wu is generous in explaining that he understands McGregor's unfortunate position, but admits that it is unlikely he would involve the Triad's in a possible territory dispute with the Yakuza over McGregor. His friendship can only go so far. Clearly Wu and Chow Yen are a bit miffed that the Yakuza are pushing to expand their influence so forcefully, and that they claim parts of downtown close to Union Square (where the fight took place) is clearly not good news. The meal ends on a bit of a downer, and McGregor takes his leave. Jones follows him out.

Damian, being on edge and alert, actually sense Jones behind him. Just as he leaves the restaurant, he manages to actually catch sight of Jones, as the man brushes past him to get outside first. Confused, but focused, Damian confronts Jones, who calmly acknowledges him with a "Hello, Mr. McGregor. Call me Mr. Jones" In the parking lot, Damian is quite angry at being followed (especially by this guy who can practically go unnoticed in a freakish way). Jones explains he was there to check out Wu, but was taking the opportunity to approach him. He'd like Damian to talk to Stang. Fed up, frustrated, and feeling pulled in a hundred directions, Damian agrees, if only to get Stang off his back. Jones hops in the Corvette, and the two make their calls as they drive. Jones to Stang, and Damian to Jasmine.

Jones, "Mr. Stang, I have contacted McGregor."

Damian, "Jasmine, that bastard Stang had me followed."

Jones, "He has agreed to meet and speak with you."

Damian, "I want you there to back me up when I tell this guy off!"

That kind of thing, both men speaking on their respective phones as they drive.

The parties agree to meet at a nearby Howard Johnsons'. Stang is there when they arrive, his '04 Mustang GT in the parking lot. Inside, they sit down to coffee, with McGregor still hot under the collar and Stang trying to calm him. A few minutes later, Jasmine walks in. She is wearing a skin tight black leather motorcycle outfit, shaking her hair out of the helmet, which she tucks under her arm. All the men stare in appreciation, as she takes a seat next to McGregor.

At this point, Stang launches into his speach about Specials. McGregor is non-plussed, and makes sarcastic comments about being recruited "... as your own secret agents to go off an fight bad guys and aliens or something..." which makes Mr. Jones thinks, "Aliens?" and Stang to sputter and think, "First Berkmann talks about moon landings, then the Avenger seems to have read too many comic books, and now this man is raving about space aliens... Are all the Specials crazy?"

Stang tries to redirect the conversation back to the fact that perhaps he can be of assistance in tracking down this Avenger character... and they discuss his equipment and armor, which had to be specially made, and both think it a good place to start looking. McGregor starts to settle down at this point, keeping the conversation civil, at least... when his cell phone rings again.

Muttering, "Oh man, not Michael again..." Damian looks at who is calling, and is surprised to see it is Wu... or at least Chow Yen who does all the calling for Wu. He flips open the phone to say hello... and is immediately greeted with a static charged "CRACK! CRACK! CRACK!!" and other loud sounds that hurt his ear and can be heard by half the restaurant.

"Hello? Hello? Wu? Chow Yen? What is going on?" shouts McGregor into the phone... and Chow Yen's voice comes back with "Damn you, McGregor! You send them to kill us! You will die for that!"

Stunned, McGregor's says, "I didn't... I'm not.... WAIT! I'm coming! I'll be there! I'm coming!" as the line goes dead. McGregor grabs Jasmine, and they head out. Stang and Jones hurrying to follow.

Next: Things get dangerous...

Secret Worlds: Emerald Palace blood bath...

Out in the parking lot, Jasmine hops on her bike, as McGregor pulls a 270 degree bootlegger reverse taking him right out on to the street and heading back to Wu's restaurant. Mr. Jones mutters, "I took the wrong car," as he gets in with Stang, who pulls out well behind the others.

Racing through traffic is not easy in San Francisco, and though McGregor pulls some daring moves, plowing up the center line to avoid stopping... he still gets stopped by a traffic jam about three blocks from the Emerald Palace. Hopping out, he grabs his sword, wrapped in his jacket and starts running. Jones and Stang pull up behind him, and just in time to see Jasmine zip up the sidewalk behind McGregor, who makes an amazingly fluid twist and leap, and jumps on behind her as she goes past, and they race down the hill toward the restaurant. Mr. Jones starts to run after them, but is quickly left in the dust.

Ahead, the restaurant has turned into a combat zone. In what looks like an attack from two vehicles, one sedan has driven headlong into the front window of the store, and behind it a black van has pulled up, and it's rear door are open... likely having disgorged attackers. On the street, two men in black ski masks are using the van for cover and spraying into the building with Mini-Uzi's Other gunshots can be heard from inside.

Damian and Jasmine race ahead, and McGregor shouts "Slow and stop!" which she starts to do, popping into a "Stoppie" front wheel skid position. Damian goes off the bike, rolling to the ground and back up, right in front of the nearest gunman. The guy turns and looks menacingly at him, waving the pistol... but Damian has no gun, sword is still wrapped in his jacket, and he just raises his arms and looks scared. This seems to work... especially as the gunman is quickly distracted by the sleek, sexy image of Jasmine on the motorcycle behind Damian. The man looks suspicsious, and starts to raise his gun toward her, and shouts something that Damian is sure is Japanese, but doesn't understand. He uses this distraction, to move in on the thug... (rolled a natural three on his Dex roll. I gave him plusses on any attack and he has Rapid Attack HtH). In a blur of movement, Damian knife hands the gun to the ground, snap kicks him in the solar plexus, and then finishes him off with a spinning axe kick that drops him hard.

Busy firing, the gunman's buddy doesn't see this at all. McGregor signals to Jasmine to take him out and then armed only with his sword, he ducks and weaves toward the front of the store, as the buddy stops to pop his clip and reload.

From two blocks up the street, Jones sees this happen, and curses that he is so far behind. A luck would have it, he comes to the end of the traffic jam, where the fire fight has caused someone to abandon their rustbucket Impala, keys in and engine running. (Ah, Blue Chit dramatic editing...) Jones hops in and floor it toward the fight.

Meanwhile, Jasmine accelerates the bike toward the reloading thug, who sees her and tries to dodge, but she swerves and skids sideways, slamming into him and sending him skidding along the street with a loud crunch! McGregor has mad his way into the foyer, where he sees the dead body of a waiter and a patron, a masked mook hanging half out of the wrecked sedan, moaning and holding his mangled leg... some huddled customers under tables... but no immediate threat. Gunshots come from the kitchen just ahead.

Outside, Jones comes skidding to a halt. Jasmine pulls a gun on this approaching car, flipping up her helmet face shield to squint and try to focus because she seems to have a hard time figuring out who is driving. Jones makes himself seen to her, and she swears, "Fu**! I hate this guy!" but doesn't shoot him. Jones heads for the restaurant.

McGregor makes his way further up the central hall, when he sees two more masked gunmen, their backs too him, just inside a kitchen door, using cabinets for cover, and popping up and down, as if trying to get a shot at someone deeper inside the kitchen. McGregor tries to rabbit punch one while pulling the gun over to make the man fire at his own partner. He hits the man, but is unable to make a solid grapple, and the partner swings his gun, standing up in surprise, aiming right at Damian. Just at this moment, Jones is approaching the blasted out front window of the Carry Out section. He sees through the kitchen bay (where orders come up) a masked man suddenly stand up and point his gun at an unseen target. Jones takes a shot, shooting the man in the forearm. He screams and drops his gun.

From McGregor's point of view, he simply sees the man pointing a gun at him suddenly scream and drop the pistol as a round punches through his arm... and this is followed by the sudden appearance at the back of the kitchen of a large Chinese cook in a blood spattered apron, stand up with a folding stock AK-47... bellow in rage, and open fire. (Truly a Gotcha! Oh shit! Cool! Oh shit! series of events from McGregor's POV.) 7.62 rounds tear into the hapless masked man, who takes the full brunt of the AK. In a panic, his partner, still grappling with McGregor, kicks backward, forcing them both out of the kitchen and into the hall. McGregor pounds elbow strikes into the guy's back, but he doesn't go down!

Mr. Jones scrambles past the window, trying not to get hit by errant assault rifle rounds, and comes into the restaurant, to see McGregor struggling with the thug. Shrugging off an poor shot from the mook, McGregor swings him around into the wall and follows up with a full turning back side kick, that the man tries vainly to block. The impact slams the man back, cracking his head on the wall, and he slumps to the ground.

Jones and McGregor confront each other (McGregor finding it easier and easier to notice this guy, the more he is around him) and they start to look for Wu... heading back to the private dining area and the offices they know are there. McGregor picks up the .40 Caliber pistol from the man he took down, just as the Chinese cook comes around the corner, AK leveled. Both are caught in his gaze, noticing an angry sneer and a bullet hole clean through his shoulder... "Uh... here to help?" squeaks Damian... and the big man takes in the situation... seeing the downed attackers. He grimly nods, moving up to flank the other side of the door that leads to the private dining area. "We kill them all," he says with a growl. Then he suddenly catches a glimpse of Jones, right next to him, and squints in confusion, but shrugs and seems to take it in stride.

Jones and McGregor snap a look into the dining area, seeing a dead attacker and two guards sprawled on the floor... another dead waiter... and at the other end of the room and masked man standing half in, half out of the doorway to the back offices... a SPAS-12 cradled in his arms. He is in a perfect position to cover the room, and still see the offices beyond him. Jones takes the limited risk of being seen, and snap shots at the guy. It is a miracle shot (spent a black chit to roll a 3) but the bullet only strikes the man's right bicep, blowing clean through. Bellowing in pain and anger, he falls back, out of sight into the office area beyond the doorway in which he was standing.

Jones moves in, as does McGregor and then the cook, who deliberately paces across the room, covering the door with his AK. Nothing happens, so with Jones nad the cook covering, McGregor pushes it open. It is a long hallway with four doors, two on each side. The gun man is again half in a doorway, but happens to be checking hsi wound as McGregor comes in... Damian fires twice, but the shots are wide, slamming into the doorframe. This still drives the mook back into the office, out of the line of fire, and freeing the hallway for the others. Looking back to the cook, Damian's shouts "Where's Wu?" The cook nods, and points to the back left office. Damian has to go past the doorway likely covered by the SPAS, then takes a running leap past it to get down the hall. The doorway errupts in blasts of 12 guage double-ought... but he was a tad to slow, and McGregor makes it past, and down the hall.

At that point, the cook screams a bloodcurdling cry, and runs down the hall to join Damian, opening fire along the wall into the room where the shotgun toting gunman fled. The machine gun stitches holes all along the way, the rifle slugs tearing through the interior walls with ease.

Jones moves up, back against the wall, next to the open door, cringing at the thought of shotgun blasts tearing through the drywall and blowing him away. Luckily the man doesn't just start firing. A quick glance inside shows the gunman unhurt by the cook's fusillade, but ducking down none the less.

Down at the door to Wu's office, Damian sees the door is just slightly ajar... not locked... and hesitates a second, before pushing it open and swinging the pistol in to cover the room as best he can. He sees the terrible sight of a large masked attacker with a pistol shoved into the mouth of Chow Yen, yelling at someone on the floor and out of sight... presumably Wu. In a split second, he takes in the lose/lose situation... and aims at the attacker to fire. (DEX OFF! And a bad roll, Damian loses!)

The man is fast, faster than the others, and kicks backward, pulling the trigger at the same time. It's a sick wet explosion, as Chow Yen's head explodes all over the office, but that moment of delay allows McGregor to take his shot before the attacker can switch his aim. A single shot... punches through the neck of the thug in a spray of red. (5 on hit location!) His hand clamps automatically on the exit wound, mouth moving... surprisingly not going down, though clearly stunned and shaking. Before he can recover, McGregor steps in and clubs him to the ground, where he begins to twitch and bleed out.

At roughly the same time, Jones snaps a shot around the corner at the thug huddled against he back wall, taking him in the opposite shoulder from his arm wound, and making him drop the cradled SPAS-12. Before he can respond, Jones steps in, kicks the gun away, and presses his pistol against the man's forehead. He gets the idea, and surrenders.

Back in Wu's office, Damian finds the Triad money man with a bullet wound in his leg, but still alive. There is a big safe, bolted to the floor, and it is unopened. Wu stares in shock at his dead friend, himself covered in Chow Yen's blood, bone and brain matter. The cook charges in, looking about wildly, and runs to help his boss. Damian tries to get Wu to leave, but is denied. "You go. Get away," says Wu. "This is my business. I can't leave." Damian looks unsure. "Thank you, my friend..." says Wu again... "Leave... you were never hear!"

McGregor nods and runs, taking Jones and the captive thug with them. They meet up with Jasmine, and steal the thugs own van as a gettaway... heading off into the streets to try and figure out how to lose any police pursuit.

Jones calls Stang, reporting what happened. Stang says, "Does the man you captured have any tatoos." Jones pulls off the man's shirt... revealing an intricate dragon tattoo along his back in red and black ink. "Mr. Stang," says Jones into the phone. "The dragon is holding flowers in his claws... nine of them."

"This is bad," says Stang.

In a moment of silence as the van moves away and the everyone considers the implications of this event... then, smiling, McGregor says, "Hey... Jones..." half turning in his seat. He holds out his hand in that fist-to-fist greeting that has replaced the handshake on the street.

"We're good now!" he says... and laughs.*

And that's where we left it.

*(Nothing like a close quarters gun fight for male bonding!) :cool:

Bummed I missed it.

The cutaway scene with Avenger is interesting,, even though we don't know anything of it.

Great sounding gunfight...sounds like you could have used Terry in that donnybrook.

I look forward to actually exploring this dark world more and soon!

Originally posted by Storn

Bummed I missed it.

The cutaway scene with Avenger is interesting,, even though we don't know anything of it.

Great sounding gunfight...sounds like you could have used Terry in that donnybrook.

I look forward to actually exploring this dark world more and soon!

It was funny, but afterwards we were joking that it was a GOOD thing Terry wasn't there... because he wouldn't have left anything for the others to do. Figured he would have just waltzed in a mowed everyone down, and left the others standing outside saying, "Oh please... let me have one? I'll give you a dollar!"

I said that if Terry was there, I'd have another full truckload of thugs show up, just for him. ;)