Dark Champions: Secret Worlds

RDU Neil

That cook was pretty cool. I was just picturing Damien crouched down picking up a weapon when the cook walks out. Blood stained apron, smoking AK-47 in his hands and I just witnessed his ability to use it. all I needed was a cartoon-style thought bubble "EEP!"

I had a great time. However I was pissed on the ride home. I remebered that I had a white chit left and could have re-rolled that last DEX off. Oh well, I'll learn this game eventually. Looking forward to next week:

Triads vs. Yakuza round one

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About Martial Arts

I was looking at the previous pages and I think one of the problems with Martial Arts and acceptable DC levels is allowing Extra DCs at all.

A 20 STR character with an Offensive Strike could do 8d6 damage- that's equivalent to a 40 STR. A 10 STR normal with Offensive Strike could do 6 dice- that's equivalent to a 30 STR.

Simply defining how high you want characters to go with their Damage Classes (like, 8 dice Normal) would solve the problems you seem to have, and as you say, Find Weakness and CSLs to Hit Locations would simulate a martial artist's skill more effectively than giving them superhuman dice damage.

Otherwise, this whole campaign looks really neat, and I'm glad you're recapping it for us. Can't wait for the next installment!

JG

Simply defining how high you want characters to go with their Damage Classes (like, 8 dice Normal) would solve the problems you seem to have, and as you say, Find Weakness and CSLs to Hit Locations would simulate a martial artist's skill more effectively than giving them superhuman dice damage.

James, you might have missed it, but this is exactly the types of solutions that both Neil and I batted forth.

Originally posted by James Gillen

I did miss it. I just caught up a couple pages ago. :)

JG

The last adventure, I basically went with the following slight modifications to Martial Arts.

Extra DCs cost 8 points... and any marital maneuver that does normal or killing damage, then you subtract a single DC from that maneuver. Martial Strike now just does +1 DC... Offensive Strike does +3 DC...

This seemed to work really well. It took two or three shots to put down a foe... unless you were using weapons. That really captured the "feel" I was looking for.

Another thing Joe could have done, which is just something to learn as the game goes along... is used his sword "in scabard" to add a DC to his attacks. Basically use it as a club, since he didn't really want to pull the blade and use it, for some reason.

I may have to tweak some of the normal damage weapons, as well. A bo staff doing +4 DC? Holy cow. Ok for super level stuff, but that is HUGE for this kind of game.

Most KA's are well balanced in the weapon lists... but normal damage can just accelerate so quickly to unmanageable levels, if you make it 1 for 1 equivalent DCs with killing attacks.

A left over result of the supers concept that is the core of Hero System... and just takes some tweaking for this level.

Thanks for your comments.

Review of Episode 2

Forgot to do the G,B & U of the last episode.

The Good: The fact that I had only two players. This allowed Joe and James to really get a lot of "face" time for their characters. Mr. Jones, a guy who is so average as to be almost invisible... well a character like that can get lost in a game... and here he was able to really generate some personality. Both players and characters also got to learn a little of what they can do. A gunfight like this would have been totally dominated by Storn and Eric, both because their characters are more suited for this, and as players, they both have a lot more experience in this style of game. It really allowed McGregor and Jones to stretch their wings a bit.

(Oh... and the Martial Arts -1 DC to maneuvers, really worked as well.)

The Bad: The fat that three players were missing. A game really needs momentum to succeed. A great first session can derail if the next session doesn't work out. There is enourmous pressure to keep things going in our group. One pause, and you can lose players attention. I'm hoping this doesn't occur this time.

The Ugly: Re-arranging some plot elements at the last moment. This accelerated some of events, primarily the confrontation between Yaks and Triads. Such storylines tend to take on a life of their own... and that can make for difficulties this early in a new campaign. Certain characters can come to the front as important, and others not, which leaves some players feeling left out. I took the risk with this, by not putting more limits on PC concepts, but I really wanted to see where the players would take their characters. Right now, we have some very "realistic" characters, in some sense. The world is very close to home, just cinematic. It hasn't really gotten "weird" yet... and some PCs are better suited for weird, rather than action. This will be a tough bump to overcome.

There is enourmous pressure to keep things going in our group. One pause, and you can lose players attention. I'm hoping this doesn't occur this time.

Don't worry about this too much Neil. I think you've got a good thing going. And while it is taking a while to find its legs, it is steeped in mystery. That "wtf is going on" will keep us all moving forward deeper into the world. I think James's Mr. Jones was really trying to get there with his questions aimed at Stang.

As for my character or Eric's dominating gunfights... I wouldn't worry about it too much. While my character is amazingly tough and can get blown up repeatedly... he can be knocked out of a fight through stun attrition. And while really good, he doesn't know that he is a super yet. So when people shoot at him, he is going duck and find cover. In fact, I don't think Terry has ever been shot up to this point..... shot at, oh, hell yeah. Blown up? Repeatedly. But a bullet hitting him? Hasn't happened yet. So the psychological blow of that happening is going to impact my character, even if his stats allow him to bulldoze through it.

Re: Episode Recap

Originally posted by RDU Neil

Due to request... and the fact that it was a good idea... I've cut and paste the Episode recaps into an attached TXT file. (I hope... never attached anything on this board before.)

Down load for the story so far...

Great Idea! Thanks. Now all we need is a group picture from Storn to put faces to the names. ;):D

Originally posted by Storn

Don't worry about this too much Neil. I think you've got a good thing going. And while it is taking a while to find its legs, it is steeped in mystery. That "wtf is going on" will keep us all moving forward deeper into the world. I think James's Mr. Jones was really trying to get there with his questions aimed at Stang.

As for my character or Eric's dominating gunfights... I wouldn't worry about it too much. While my character is amazingly tough and can get blown up repeatedly... he can be knocked out of a fight through stun attrition. And while really good, he doesn't know that he is a super yet. So when people shoot at him, he is going duck and find cover. In fact, I don't think Terry has ever been shot up to this point..... shot at, oh, hell yeah. Blown up? Repeatedly. But a bullet hitting him? Hasn't happened yet. So the psychological blow of that happening is going to impact my character, even if his stats allow him to bulldoze through it.

Definitely. I am looking forward to the next game; it's just been a matter of timing. We'll get back on track.

As for gunfights, I have no idea how Ryu will react to this kind of thing. It really depends upon the situation, and how Ryu fits into the events. He's got a lot of conflicting things going on inside his head, which will, of course, all end badly... =)

Another thing Joe could have done, which is just something to learn as the game goes along... is used his sword "in scabard" to add a DC to his attacks. Basically use it as a club, since he didn't really want to pull the blade and use it, for some reason.

Well my orginal idea was to try and not kill anyone. Damien is not a murderer. Self defense is ok (avenger attacking Melissa), out and out slaughter is bad. Plus I kinda hoped that if I just put a HTH smackdown on the yakuza guys afterwards there would be some broken bones and hurt pride but no deaths to avenge. Damien understands how mobsters handle avenging and the answer is pretty much the same no matter what language you speak. Then the cook brought out his subamachine gun and the no killing pretty much went to hades. But by that time the sword wouldn't have been all that effective. Sword vs. Point blank shots from a SPAS ends with Damien being buried in a jar and Joe rolling up a new character.

which will, of course, all end badly... =)

yup pretty much. Very badly, but should be fun to watch.

-Joe

What's a (insert color)CHIT

Love the post and the campaign looks like fun . Looking forward to seeing much more .

One Question . What are (insert color) CHITs ???

The Martial Arts Manuvers and Weapon Damage discussion is good for me as I'm looking at introducing the "Optional Damage Rules" to my campaigns . Personally I'd settle for reducing the Damage Classes by Half ( minimum one ) .

I think I would add something though . A bare handed attack against a Resistant Defense/Target should be treated as a Move By or Move Through . The Iron Fist/Shirt would make a good defense and add dramatic flare .

What do you think ???

Weird Post anomoly

Freaky, the first half of that is my post. Then for some reason, "The Question Man's" post kinda overlaps.

I of course know what the colored chits are. They umm affect stuff. And you get more the more luck you have. I'll let Neil or Storn explain the colors. I think it goes Gold, blue, white, black in order from coolest to least-coolest. (if my grammar teacher could see me now)

-Joe

Huh?

Weird post. The first half seemed to be from Newbie Joe... and the second half from someone else. TheQuestionMan, maybe? It all looks like one post got mixed up.

Weird.

Anyway... to answer the couple questions.

Chits: Way back in the days of Danger International... I'd created a generic "luck roll" to help determine random events. Roll 3d6... sixes good, ones bad. So if a player asks something like, "I need a rock to throw at the wild dogs making off with the baby!" I'd say, "Roll a luck roll," to determine if there just happened to be a rock around. Good luck, there is a perfect throwing rock, right at your feet. Bad luck... no rock to be found. Neither/nor... there is a rock, but it's 20 feet away, and will take a turn to get it.

That kind of thing. Luck (the Talent back then, now a Power) allowed characters to roll an extra die for each luck die they had... and that die could only be good for them (ones didn't count.)

This worked pretty well, but for years there was a need to open up Champs/Hero system, to allow some flexibility with powers and give players a little more control over their characters destiny and story.

Then I played Deadlands. (Original Deadlands, when it first came out.) They had chips (poker chips) that you could spend to soak wounds, or make rolls better, or whatever. It was a great mechanic. After only one session, I realized that this was a way to make Luck in Hero very viable. Now every PC gets at least one chit of luck, and can draw one more for every d6 of Luck they purchase. There are four colors... white, black, blue and gold. The chits act as follows...

White: Allows a reroll of any one roll you control. Or allows an abort maneuver (dodge, block, dfc...) without using an action. It also allows a single Recovery, without using an action.

Black: Same as white, plus you can spend a black to take away a single die in a "to hit" or "skill" roll, to gain a success. Rolled a 15... spend a black, take away that 6, now you have a 9! Success! (GM gets to draw a chit for the villains, if you spend a black.)

Blue: Same as Black, without any benefit to GM. Blue is also a way to "flex" powers in a supers game. It allows a power to be used in a way that fits the SFX, but they haven't paid points for. Ex: Flame character... wants to reduce the fire in a room to save a child... but doesn't have this power. Spends a blue... for this one action, his EB (or whatever) becomes Suppress normal fires, and he can do it.

Blue also allows for "dramatic editing" so that the character can simply say, "I grab the broom handle and snap it off, so I have a stake to fight the vampire!" rather than asking, "Is there anything wooded around?" In the case I highlighted in the last Secret Worlds adventure... on PC was way out of the combat, and spent the blue to come up with a creative way to get his character there "right now!"

Gold: There is only one in the bag (chits are drawn randomly) but if drawn, the player can become GM for a scene. They get to create and event or subplot or something along those lines, that fits with their character concept and long term goals. I've had one person spend it so his character finally got his Thesis on Paranormal Gestation Theory published, and to wide acclaim, so he became famous in those circles as THE expert on metahuman bio-genesis. Another spent it, so that during a mission, he accidentaly stumbled across some critical information about villain financing... this changed the entire SHAPE of the campaign, as the villains funding was exposed, and they had to come out of the shadows, rather than manipulate from behind the scenes.

It's a great system... players seem to really love it... and it gives flexibility within limits. Many systems have this kind of thing now. Bennies in Savage Worlds... Hero Points in M&M. I've been doing it for probably 6 years or more at this point. I'd never go back.

Re: What's a (insert color)CHIT

Originally posted by TheQuestionMan

I think I would add something though . A bare handed attack against a Resistant Defense/Target should be treated as a Move By or Move Through . The Iron Fist/Shirt would make a good defense and add dramatic flare .

What do you think ???

For a long time, I've been bugged by the fact that game systems don't deal with the fact that punching someone hurts the puncher, as well. Back in the early days of Champions, when walls had no defense, just body... anybody with STR five or better could pound a physical object to dust, given enough time. It struck me then... "But wouldn't they break their hand, hitting the steel wall?"

Anyway, DEF for inanimate objects fixed that for the most part, but I agree... at a more "realistic" level, characters should have a chance to injure themselves when hitting or kicking something barehanded, or barefooted. I just don't know how technical I want to make it. I'd never use this in any kind of real "supers" campaign. Wrong feel.

I do like it for this one... and maybe I'll simply take the very loose concept of "If you do more than average body with a barehand strike against a hard target, you might just hurt yourself." I'm not worried about Stun damage from punching someone, as much as the broken nuckle or two that might occur, and have fun role playing possibilities.

This should be a flava' thang! Not a penalty for the players, IMO.

(But a 6 PD guy punching a 7d6 whallop, and rolling 8 body... yeah... I'd probably have a wrist pop or a knuckle crunch in that case. I did it enough myself, back in my TKD days. :D )

Re: Huh?

Originally posted by RDU Neil

The chits act as follows...

{SNIP}

It's a great system... players seem to really love it... and it gives flexibility within limits. Many systems have this kind of thing now. Bennies in Savage Worlds... Hero Points in M&M. I've been doing it for probably 6 years or more at this point. I'd never go back.

Curious, how many of each chit are there?

We have something very similiar in the Action! System as well, called Action! Points. Everyone starts off the game with at least one, and they can earn them whenever they doing something heroic, surprising, or very entertaining (as far as the GM is concerned). They can only take a maximum of three into the next session though. Without explaining the system, the Action! Points allow you to add 5 to a roll, subtract 5 from damage taken, or add 5 to damage delivered.

As you pointed out a lot of systems are now using some sort of "modifier" to the story. I like your idea with the chits, especially the Gold one. How long do they get to be GM, and how detailed do they get to be? Do they "run" the show, as in interactions with other players and NPCs, or is it solely for them? I like it also because it lets the players shape the world, and I've received and given that request in many campaigns that I've played or GMed in.

Re: Re: Huh?

Originally posted by RPMiller

Curious, how many of each chit are there?

We have something very similiar in the Action! System as well, called Action! Points. Everyone starts off the game with at least one, and they can earn them whenever they doing something heroic, surprising, or very entertaining (as far as the GM is concerned). They can only take a maximum of three into the next session though. Without explaining the system, the Action! Points allow you to add 5 to a roll, subtract 5 from damage taken, or add 5 to damage delivered.

As you pointed out a lot of systems are now using some sort of "modifier" to the story. I like your idea with the chits, especially the Gold one. How long do they get to be GM, and how detailed do they get to be? Do they "run" the show, as in interactions with other players and NPCs, or is it solely for them? I like it also because it lets the players shape the world, and I've received and given that request in many campaigns that I've played or GMed in.

There are equal numbers White, Black & Blue. Maybe 30 of each in the little bag. I even let folks trade up... 3 white = 1 Blue... A black and a white = a blue, etc. Sometimes you want quantity, sometimes quality. The chits go away at the end of the game, no carry over. Use 'em or lose 'em... which encourages interactive use, not hording, IMO.

The Gold Chit is usually just one "scene" or "event" They don't tend to really run the game in terms of controlling NPCs.. they just say, "Ok... here's this cool thing that I want to have happen, with this or that character..." They often don't force a certain outcome, they just want to have something that really shows off their character, or allows their character to have a really big impact on the plot. I guess it could be abused, but I've got great players. They tend to enhance the story and the world... not control it.

It tends to be just of their character, as I don't think anyone would want to screw with another PC. Causes bad feelings. This should be fun.

Oh yeah... the 5 pts of luck still allows for extra "good dice only" if I have them make a luck roll in random situations, as well as the chits.

Re: Anomoly Poster

Originally posted by TheQuestionMan

I don't know what happened to that Post , but I'm real glad I asked the question . It looks like a great idea and I think I'm gonna ste... ( ah hem ) I mean borrow it ;) .

P.S. : What kind of Chips ??? ( no Nacho jokes ) :(

Chits, actually... and just those colored glass counters used in tons of other games. Buy 'em in bags, cheap, at places like Michael's or other craft stores... or spend much more money buying them at your FLGS.

Try to make sure they are all the same size and texture, at least, because they are drawn randomly. People feeling around for the "small smooth ones" because they know those are the blue ones... that ain't right! :D

Oh... and colors don't matter... choose whatever colors you want.

New Chit ruling...

One thing I'm going to add to the use of Chits incorporates the use of the Hit Location chart.

A chit can be used to defensively move a hit location result.

White Chit: Move hit location by one number (up or down).

Black Chit: Move hit location by up to two numbers (up or down).

Blue Chit: Move hit location by up to three numbers (up or down).

So... if a character gets hit in the "Five" which is head (throat), they could spend a white, and move it to a "6" and the hit is in the "Hand" now.

I'm wondering about allowing chits to do the same, but on Offense... move a hit location to a more lethal area... but that could start a "Chit War" where chits are thrown back and forth to move a location around... winner is the one who can or is willing, to spend the most chits.

Dunno... gotta think about that one. Part of me is loathe to have the Chits become integral to offensive combat actions, losing their main thrust, which is to take the edge off of dice that go against a character.

Y'know... now that I think about it... I'll allow the Blue chit, and only the Blue chit... to act Offensively. That keeps in with the "story editing" power of the Chit to allow the character to make that spectacular, one in a million shot.

If this comes into play in tonight's game, I'll let you all know how it works.

Episode 3 Recap: Assassin's Service

We had all five players for this one, so we finally had a chance to get all the PCs together. Since I'd been unable to run Eric's Hitoshi Ryu last week, we still needed to bring this black sheep into the fold, as it were. The game started with a focus on Ryu. The game starts barely 30 minutes after the end of last episode.

Hitoshi Ryu: Having delivered his report on the Fight Club situation that morning, Ryu had spent the day in his guise of Akito Takashi, a senior programmer salary man. Tedious, but then Ryu had been trained in how to wait... how to demonstrate the consumate patience. At 5:30, he left his desk, and heads out of the building along with the other workers. At which time his cell phone rings. He does not recognize the number, and when he answers, is surprised to hear a female voice address him as Hitoshi-san. She continues, saying "We have never spoken, but I am Kichinishi Natusuko." Ryu is shocked to find himself speaking to the daughter of Ichiro-san, himself. "Hai..." he answers quietly.

"Meet me at the penthouse elevator. Your skills are needed," she says formally, and hangs up. Ryu makes his way to a bathroom, changing into his formal suit, from his shirtsleave and tie uniform, and then walks to the elevator bank, his gait and body position changed from mild mannered to steady and confident, as a man of his position should walk. Through frosted doors, his electronic pass allows him, and there he meets Natsuko. Only twenty years old, Ryu has seen her many times, but never spoken to her. The only contact prior to this came when he returned from Hokkaido after four years of training, and when he first saw Natsuko, she caught and held his gaze for a long, uncomfortable time. That was weeks ago, and now here she was. Dressed in a dark red leather pant suit... her hair cut short and spiky, with a shock of red at the tips. (Done by expensive professionals, so it looks fancy, not trashy.) A very modern look, compared to her father and his traditions. Without a word, they enter the elevator, and she keys the top, where Ichiro-san's office resides. Halfway up, she slides her card again, and hits the pause button, and the elevator stops without alarm.

"Are you aware of what has happened?" she asks. Ryu shakes his head "No."

"A serious situation has come about... a grave threat to the family. You need to be prepared to do whatever is asked of you." Ryu simple nods affirmative. He does notice that Natsuko seems very serious, and possibly quite upset, which is not at all normal for her. She says nothing more, but restarts the elevator, and they are soon exiting into the office. No secretary is in sight, and the go right in without announcing themselves. Ryu sees two guards standing above a kneeling and bound form... a low level kobun that Ryu recognizes... Jiro something. He has clearly been beaten, and he kneels on a heavy plastic sheet covering the carpet. Ichiro-san stands with his back to the room, looking out over the city as the sun sets and the lights go one. His silvery hair neat and glowing in the orange light of dusk.

Finally, Ichiro turns back to the room, walks around to Jiro and barks at him, his aged voice harsh with anger, demanding to know what happened this evening, and why he would take such actions. Jiro looks confused and terrified, looking around at everyone but Ryu, whom he avoids looking at at all costs. He starts slowly, but then begins to fill in the details, explaining how he had gone with his leader Bi, to attack the scum Triad in his house. He explains the attack was done overtly, with much death, as was expected. He explains they had taken most of the resistance, and Bi had gone to confront Wu, when they were attacked by some gaijin.

At the description of the attacker, Ryu immediately recognizes it as McGregor. Jiro was taken out by this man, and only came to later escaping just before the police arrived. He returned to report, and appologizes profusely for his failure.

Ichiro is livid, slapping the man, and finally growling, "Why would you do such a thing as this? Why would you seek to start a war with the Triads? Who ordered this?" Jiro looks utterly confused at this, his eyes darting around the room, and falling in a beseaching way on Natsuko, but he says nothing. Ichiro, clearly in a rage, turns to Ryu and says, "Hurt him."

Ryu nods and steps forward. Jiro mewls, and Ryu's right hand comes silently from his pocket with a butterfly knife. It flicks and spins, nearly silent... the blade flashing... Jiro's eyes wide in watching terror... then Ryu's left hand flashes out and he thumbs the nerve cluster beneath the mastoid bone, sending numbing pain through Jiro's neck and side. The knife disappears back in the pocket. Gasping and recovering, Jiro is asked again, "Who ordered this?" and again seems terrified to say, which Ryu can't understand.

Ryu reaches out with his left hand then, his palm against Jiro's forehead and his thumb gently pressing at his eye. Jiro sucks in his breath, humming sickly in anticipation... when Ryu's right hand snaps out and knifes the solar plexus, causing Jiro to seize completely. Collapsing backward, twitiching and barely able to breathe.

Ryu hauls Jiro up and spins him around to face Ichiro, holding him by his hair. Face contorted in rage, Ichiro leans over and asks one last time, "Who... ordered... this?" and Jiro gasps... clearly terrified to say it...

... "You did, my lord..."

The room is still for half a second... the Ichiro nearly screams inarticulately, and backhand Jiro out of Ryu's grasp. Ryu just steps back, and waits... when suddenly Natsuko is by her father's side... pulling him away... talking quietly and soothingly. Ichiro is nearly shaking with rage... but he is guided by his daughter toward a private room. He is almost away, when he snaps one last command.

"Finish it..." he says.

Ryu nods.

Jiro has only enough time to begin a slow, moaning cry... and Ryu steps behind him, and in one simple move, snaps his neck.

As the two guards move in to wrap up Jiro's body, Ryu steps back, just in time to see Natsuko give a slight hand signal. A code, known only to a ninja and his master. Unseen by the guards or Ichiro. "Meet. Later. Below."

Ryu nods, and the door closes behind the Oyabun... and the Oyabun's daughter.

More later...

Episode 3 Recap: Deeper Conspiracy

Martin Berkmann:

Cut to Stang's Mansion... northern San Francisco area. After the fight club, Martin Berkmann had returned with Stang and sequestered himself away, focusing on intense research on the concept of specials... looking for current, historical, mythological and cultural references. He only left the room for a short period of time to go to a nearby comic book shop in order to purchase a range of superhero graphic novels for analysis.

It is later on the second day, when he notices that his laptop has been chiming, signaling an IM. He toggles it open, and actually receives a graphic image in a text based medium. The image is of a stylized rose & thorny stem, with the name Briar Rose beneath it. Knowing this means his laptop has been hacked, he still reads the message, which is simply "What are doing, Berkmann?" The Dr. attempts some banter, but the message is steadfast, eventually asking, "Specials, Berkmann?" He answers with "MU"

They answer with "Leave it alone, Berkmann. You attract too much fire."

Then his screen begins to flicker, pixilating the screen, freezing up... but a last second message simply reads, "Listen to us, Berkmann. Let it go" And then his whole laptop crashes.

Cut to - Terry Owens: Offered a possible position as Stang's body guard, Terry was given time to review the mansion estate, the security, and decide if he wanted the job. This took place while Stang, Jolly and Mr. Jones were analyzing the images taken at the fight club. During this time, Owens tries to consult with Dr. Carol Cole... purely because he is curious about her involvement with this whole deal. Dr. Cole, and attractive blonde in her nearing 30, is clearly a talented physician and triage surgeon. Terry can't understand what someone like that would be doing in Pakistan, where she found him. Cole agrees to meet with him the next day, as she is involved in some tests, but has something to discuss with him as well.

When the two finally get together, Cole is amused by Terry's abrupt and almost condescending manner. "Bird like you just should not be in Pakistan. You've bankable talent. What are ou doin' with this lot?" Cole attempts to explain that maybe she likes a little adventure as well, and that being Stang's private doctor has been more challenging than a hospital residency, and without the public health woes. "I also get to study unique specimens like yourself," she says, pulling out his file. She keeps him sitting, when he tries to leave, explaining that she has been running triple tests on the blood and tissue samples she has taken from him. She asks him again about the dark spot on his heart, and explains that she has done a biopsy... and she couldn't think to explain why else is white cell count was so elevated, his platelet production was four times that of a normal man, and his lymph system was producing metabolic fluids that normally take weeks to circulate in trace amounts, but in his body, seem to circulate in ten times the amount, in just a few days. Her conclusion is not good. "I believe you have cancer, Terry. Not any kind of cancer I've every heard of, or can track down, but at least something that acts like a bizarre form of systemic cancer. It seems to be spreading from what I can only deduce to be some kind of tumor on your heart."

Terry leaves, stunned, talking about getting a second opinion and that is when he runs into Berkmann, coming out of his room. "You don't look so good," says the Dr. "I've got cancer," says Terry, handing him his file. "I'm not adept at reading medical charts, but I do know that cancer is a form of cell reproduction that is accelerated... mutated in a way... and that this is what causes the tumors and such. You heal in an amazingly rapid fashion. You must produce cells and such in a bizarrely rapid way... similar to cancer. Maybe you have GOOD cancer!"

"Huh..." says Terry. "So what's up with you."

"Oh, somone just threatened me and hacked my computer," replies Berkmann.

"I think the world is conspiring against us," says Terry. "I'd rather discuss this over a beer..."

At which point, Jolly comes around the corner saying, "No time for beer. Stang needs you. The shit has hit the fan, and he needs help."

"See," says Terry. "I told you the world is conspiring against me." He moves off to the armory muttering, "There is always time for beer..."

(More later... have to work all weekend. Very tired now.)

Episode 3 Recap: Reeling 'em in...

Berkmann & Owens arm themselves (Owens with vest and dual .45s, as well as a shotgun...) and head out to get Stang, Mr. Jones and the others. They decide to take Stang's 2002 Silver Audi TT.

Cut to - McGregor & Mr. Jones: After the fire fight at the Chinese restaurant, Jones and McGregor had sped away in the black Yakuza van, taking a prisoner with them. They were directed by Stang, to a nearby urban park... and he met them there, where they parked behind a row of dumpsters, backing up against rise of small apartment buildings. Relatively hidden from sight, they wait for Owens, to get an escort out of the area... hoping not to be spotted by the police.

During this time McGregor decides to "interview" the Yak hostage. With the others watching, he tries some snappy banter, and tough talk, getting only a sneer and a brush off from the soldier. McGregor finally pops the guy in the mouth, busting his lip and a tooth, making it nearly impossible for the guy to talk. Mr. Jones tries to help the Yak by removing the broken tooth from the guys lip, but gets squemish. Finally they get the man some water, and he still only sneers and threatens McGregor with the "You are all dead men..." speech. McGregor's response is "Oh yeah!" and other even less stimulating reparte, finally resorting to derogatory comments, like "If you won't give us your name, we'll call you Mr. Chink!" At which everybody stops and looks at him funny... and he glances at Stang, saying, "Oh... yeah... no offense..." and then Jasmine, who caught up with them, glares and says, "Get out here! Get... over... Here!" she says, pointing emphatically. McGregor crawls out of the van sheepishly, as she says, "You are emBARrassing me!" (All in all a hilarious scene of incompetence on the part of Joe playing McGregor. :D )

Cut to - Ryu: As Ryu is waiting for Natsuko, he receives a call from Jasmine, who has left off chewing out McGregor. He tells her he'll call back, then exits the Westcorp building. He heads a couple of blocks away to a pay phone, checks it for any Yak bugs, and then calls his sister back. Jasmine confronts him about the Yakuza attack on Wu's restaurant. She wonders if this has anything to do with McGregor, and demands to know what the Nine Flower Gang are up to. Ryu admits he has some information about this, and that he will find out more. He states that it doesn't seem to directly connect with McGregor or Yukiko (Jasmine) directly, but he will know more, soon. He'll call her back.

Cut to - Owens and Berkmann: Traveling through the streets of San Francisco, the duo is blathering about and rummaging through Stang's glove compartment. They pull out a pair of driving gloves and a bottle of 200 dollar an ounce cologne. Owen's tries on one glove, and it barely fits over his finger tips, so he tosses it out the window. "Hey!" Berkmann exclaims, grabbing the other one, putting it on, and then forgetting about it, sniffing the cologne. At that same moment, he notices in the rearview, that he sees a large, black Ford Excursion following a hundred yards behind. It is traveling fast to keep up with the speeding Owens at the wheel of the Audi. Pointing it out, Owens sees it as well and says, "Let's see what they do!" and takes a hard left at the next street.

"Oops, says Berkmann... and suddenly the car fills with the overwhelming odor of Bulgari Pour Homme Elite. "Jeeze!" coughs Terry... "I didn't know you had the bloody bottle open!"

Gagging on the smell, they make a couple of radical turns, faster than the SUV can follow, and lose it by pulling into an alley. With the windows down, eyes watering, they plot a separate path to Stang's location, and head on out.

Cut to - Ryu: Back at the Westcorp building, Ryu meets Natsuko in a downstairs office. He is uncomfortable being with her alone, especially after seeing what just happened in the office, but he maintains the calm facade, waiting for the Oyabun's daughter to speak. It is clear she is upset, and she turns away, looking like she will cry. Turning back, all tears are gone, and she says, "You must understand how serious the situation is. I tell you this in the strictest of confidences." She pauses, then... "My father ordered the attack." Ryu blinks. "I'm also sure that he doesn't remember that he ordered the attack... and he rages as much at himself, that he doesn't remember." She finishes with, "Do you know anything about Alzheimer's?"

"Enough," says Ryu, giving away no emotion. Natsuko goes on to explain the symptoms her father has been exhibiting for some time... but that this has been trivial and easily managed financial issues until now. Ryu doesn't know how to respond. "I serve the Oyabun..." he begins to slowly say, trying to maintain his poise and professionalism. Natsuko explodes!

"And I am the Oyabun's daughter!" she yells... "I'm telling you this for a reason!" Natsuko comes close to Ryu forcing him to look her in the eyes. "If they find out, they will have him killed," she says. There is no question who "they" might be. "You will be the one ordered to do it!" she continues, voice rising again. Without hesitation, she says, "I am asking you not to do it. Serve your Oyabun... he has raised you as a son!" Ryu, beginning to lose his composure, says, "I must follow the orders given to me..."

"And I'm ordering you if I have to, Ryu!" she says, using his first name in a casual form. "Damnit! We may never have talked, but we grew up together! I've seen you! I know there is something inside that shell. Something other than the stone killer!" Her look is angry, but frightened. "I'm asking you, Ryu... Please don't kill my father. Help me protect him!"

"I will be in your debt, Ryu." Softly she says it again, "Giri..."

The moment is stony silence... then Ryu simply says, "I will do what I can." He leaves her there, in the bare empty office, and walks calmly out of the building.

Cut to - Everyone else: Owens and Berkmann finally arrive at the alley where the others are waiting. Stang is appalled as he sees his car... the rocker panels scored from bottoming out on the hills of SF... and Owens and Berkmann approach, Owens with two pistols out watching the rooftops eyeing the group. Everyone is glad to see them, until they get about twenty feet away, and then everyone's eyes water as the smell hits them. "Kee-rist!" says McGregor, and Stang, covering his mouth and nose, looks at Berkmann, and the massive wetspot across the front of his pants, and says, meekly... "200 dollars an ounce..."

"Sorry," says Berkmann, and then heads for the van. "I understand you have a captive." He goes inside the back, driving Mr. Jones out with the smell, and causing the captive to gasp and stare. Jones, who had been taking the "good cop" role with the captive, says, "He did tell me his name is Jo-Jo..." before he leaves. Berkmann doesn't get the joke, and says to the man, "It appears that you mission was a failure, but it also appears to me that such circumstances were beyond your control. I'm sure you were just following orders." He says these things very precisely, reading the man's body language and other non-verbal cues, and realizes that his man is desperate to figure out how to save face after such a failure. Berkmann then launches into a steady verbal assault, each statement building upon the last, saying exactly what the man most wants to hear, primarily that Berkmann could be able to somehow make everything right, get him back in with his ikka, and maybe even keep peace with the Triads... which the Yak soldier KNOWS it was stupid to attack them. Berkmann so masterfully gains his trust, that the man gives names of all involved, and explains that the head of his cadre, Bi, would know more. Berkmann wants to speak with him, but when described, McGregor, listening in from outside, recognizes the man he shot in the throat, and makes a "Sorry..." shrug, and the throat slash gesture, telling Berkmann the man is dead. The Dr. leaves the Yak, who is completely cowed and subservient to him, and to all the others now, in relation.

Outside the van, Owens is planning the return to Stang's mansion, agreeing to actually work as Stang's bodyguard... calling Jolly to tell them they are heading out, then taking the Audi on his own, with the black van ahead of him, and McGregor and Jasmine on their cycle. As they start to head away, McGregor and Jasmine tear off without waiting, leaving the others to make it back on their own.

McGregor and Jasmine make it to Stang's place a good ten minutes ahead of the others. They cruise past, and then park their bike in a turn off with high bushes, and begin to walk back down the road of this swank neighborhood. From around a corner, McGregor sees a black, fully window tinted, Ford Excursion slowly drive past, headed toward Stang's. He moves to follow it, at the same time Jasmine's phone rings. It is Ryu.

"I have more information," says the assassin to his sister. He pauses then, and taking a deep breath, continues with, "I want out, Yukiko. I do not want to be a part of this anymore. They are not real. They do not know what real honor is... they think they are something they are not." Jasmine, stunned by this... thinks for a minute, and then says, "I may have an option for you. I will call you back in twenty minutes."

McGregor, ahead of her, also makes a call to Stang, mentioning the black SUV. Almost home, Mr. Jones takes the news, and immediately turns up another street. Owens, following behind, gets his gun out not having a clue what is going on. He takes out HIS phone and calls Jolly, to say that there has been a change of direction since before arriving home. All this phone tag gets very confusing, with at least McGregor arriving at the front gate with Jasmine and being let inside... the black SUV no where in sight. Finally, Stang talks to Owens, tells him about the black SUV... just in time for Owens to say... "Oh... like the one coming up fast RIGHT BEHIND ME!"

In a bit of desperation, Owens says, "Have Jones take you home! I'll draw them off!" Then he guns the Audi and pulls away. It is the right call, and the SUV follows the TT at the next corner, allowing Jones to take the rest of the group to Stang's, where they park the van in the garage, with the Yak left tied in the back. Everyone else goes to check security... (and they make Berkmann go change his smelly clothes!)

The SUV catches up to Terry, who is not trying to outrun it, and attempts to force him off the road. He makes a bad move (blown driving roll) and clips the massive SUV, crunching the Audi to a dead stop. The SUV's back tire actually drives up and over the hood of the poor sports car, crushing the front. Shucking out of his vest and holsters, Owens just steps out of the car, screaming bloody murder at the SUV about how these "Effin' blokes just ran over my car!" He can't see past the tinted windows at all... and tenses for an attack or something to come from the big vehicle... but after a second, it just pulls away and speeds off.

Owens looks all tough and scares a soccer mom who drives by, asking if he needs any help... then packs his gear into a gym bag from the back of the totalled roadster, and hoofs it the few blocks back to Stang's. He makes it quickly, and vaults the ivy covered fence, and joins the rest inside, where they all huddle in the kitchen, trying to figure out what to do next.

Jasmine speaks first... explaining for the first time, that her brother is a Yakuza, though she is not, and that he has information that could help them. She also explains that he says he wants to leave the Yakuza, and that he needs someplace to go. She asks if she can have him come to Stang's... to tell his information, and to gain some safety. Mr. Jones says, "I didn't think you could leave the Yakuza." Jasmine answers, "You are right. You can't. He is doing it anyway. Can I tell him to come here?"

Finally the group agrees, and she calls Ryu back. After giving him the address, she says, "I'm trusting you on this Ryu." His reply is simple... "As I am you. I will be there later tonight."

More later... the finale of Episode 3. It gets worse... MUCH worse. :(