Highlander HERO

tkdguy

I just got an update, from a telemaketer, no less. There will be a fifth Highlander movie named The Source, as well as a new TV series called Forever Young. And Adrian Paul and Team Highlander will be in a car race (more like a marathon like the Tour de France) like he has been doing for a few years now.

• 9 months later...

Re: Highlander HERO

How about this setting for a Highlander campaign?

THE GATHERING IS A LIE!

That's right. The whole "there can be only one" nonsense started in ancient times, when there were only a few immortals. They were once a close-knit group, but they soon became rivals and eventually became enemies. The Gathering was a lie they perpetuated to get their younger counterparts to fight their enemies for them. They also made up all the rules of combat so that they would have some sort of sanctuary. Suppose an immortal found out this was the cas. How would he or she convince the others to lay down their swords? And how would the Watchers react?

There's a Highlander fanfic story entitled "It's Just A Game!" that runs with this premise. In the story, Duncan is explaining the Rules to a newbie immortal while Methos listens...and thinks about the real story. The Four Horsemen (Methos, Kronos, Caspian and Silas) used to invent contests by which they would decide who was in charge for the next few years. At one time they decided to have a headhunting game--whoever took the most heads in the next 20 years would be the winner and get to be in charge. They scattered across the continent. Methos and Silas run into one another a few years later, and they meet a newbie immortal. They argue about who gets to fight him, citing the rules of the game (Silas refused to fight in a cemetary for superstitious reasons of his own, among other things); Silas fights the guy, wins, but they have to flee before he beheads the guy. Twenty years later, the Horsemen reunite. Kronos won, and he's in charge for a few decades.

Time passes. Methos runs into a strange immortal decades later, who challenges him. The guy talks about the Game , and how the winner will win the Prize . Methos tries to explain the truth, but the guy is having none of it. He knows the truth because his mentor taught him. Turns out the original guy Silas fought took what he heard of Methos and Silas's argumetn as gospel Truth. He taught his student, who taught his student, who...

By the time centuries had passed, Methos gave up trying to correct everyone. The Game was too well known, too thoroughly entrenched in Immortal lore. It had become a self-fulfilling prophecy. So...the Game, the Rules, all of it is a lie. But Methos isn't about to fess up at THIS late date....

Awesome! Only thing is that the way you have built the Quickening, it aids EVERYTHING on the character sheet all at once (may or may not be what you wanted) and it maxes out at 6 points of aid (not what you wanted) after killing one or two immortals. Maybe replace the +2 Can aid all similtaneously with +1/4 any one thing at a time and use the extra points to buy up the cap

Personally, I've never believed that immortals can't regenerate lost limbs. I simply don't believe that, and refuse to acknowledge the canon stories that support it. If you can have all your internal organs removed and recover, if you can have your brains blown out and recover (including all your memories and personality, how can you NOT be able to regrow fingers, toes, arms and legs? Besides, anyone who has been fighting with swords for centuries is going to have lost a finger or two at some point.

I'll accept that they may regrow limbs _slowly_. But not at all? Sorry, no sale.

Otherwise I like the write-up. Although....

I think it would be interesting to play Immortals as seen in the original film. Series immortals could be killed, if only briefly. Immortals in the (first) film JUST DON'T DIE. EVER. Except if they're decapitated. Connor never actually died after being spitted on the Kurgan's sword; he lay at death's door for a while, then recovered. They can be machinegunned at pont blank range and fall down for a moment, maybe be stunned, but that's it. They can fall many stories and leap up (with the snap, crackle and pop of bones resetting). Movie immortals were much more killing machines than series immortals.

This has other consequences too. Series immortals can arrange to die publicly, where their deaths can be witnessed. Even if they escape from the morgue later, nobody really doubts they were sincerely dead. Movie immortals can't do that. They never die, they just fall down and are stunned briefly. They're still breathing and clearly alive. That makes it a lot harder to fake your death when you're being actively investigated or hunted.

Awesome! Only thing is that the way you have built the Quickening' date=' it aids EVERYTHING on the character sheet all at once (may or may not be what you wanted) and it maxes out at 6 points of aid (not what you wanted) after killing one or two immortals. Maybe replace the +2 Can aid all similtaneously with +1/4 any one thing at a time and use the extra points to buy up the cap[/quote']

Actually, I have Steve Long (via Fantasy HERO) to thank for that. I was struggling to figure out how to write up the Quickening, when I saw the Bladetheft ability on the Chaos Blades section. Itseemed like the best way to do it.

In 4th Edition, I wrote it up as a number of character points gained equal to 5% of the slain Immortal's total point cost. I think the one for 5th Edition is more elegant. Thanks, Steve!

Personally, I've never believed that immortals can't regenerate lost limbs. I simply don't believe that, and refuse to acknowledge the canon stories that support it. If you can have all your internal organs removed and recover, if you can have your brains blown out and recover (including all your memories and personality, how can you NOT be able to regrow fingers, toes, arms and legs? Besides, anyone who has been fighting with swords for centuries is going to have lost a finger or two at some point.

I'll accept that they may regrow limbs _slowly_. But not at all? Sorry, no sale.

No problem. I doubt allowing limbs to regrow would break a campaign. I don't know of any internal organs being removed. Maybe Nefertiti when she was mummified; it wasn't explicitly shown, but it can be inferred that was done. In any case, the point cost would be slightly altered, but that shouldn't be much of a problem.

I think it would be interesting to play Immortals as seen in the original film. Series immortals could be killed' date=' if only briefly. Immortals in the (first) film JUST DON'T DIE. EVER. Except if they're decapitated. Connor never actually died after being spitted on the Kurgan's sword; he lay at death's door for a while, then recovered. They can be machinegunned at pont blank range and fall down for a moment, maybe be stunned, but that's it. They can fall many stories and leap up (with the snap, crackle and pop of bones resetting). Movie immortals were much more killing machines than series immortals.[/quote']

I think all you need to do is just state that at 0 BODY, the Immortal is stunned and in a coma-like state. I personally wouldn't change any mechanics; I'd just classify it as a special effect.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Major Tom

Just one question: how do you plan on handling a dual Quickening (like the one

that happened when MacLeod and Methos killed their Horsemen opponents at

the same time in the last part of the Horsemen episode, and it looked as though

they were experiencing some kind of link as a result) in your game?

Major Tom :confused:

I never actually thought of that one. I just considered it a special effect. But I'll think about it, and maybe I can give you a more satisfactory answer in the near future.

I think you could handle it pretty much however you like. The series didn't go on long enough after that episode to really set down strong rules about it. You could decide that it _was_ just a special effect with no lasting repercussions, or you could take it as far as having them both experience the effects of a quickening when either one takes a head (and hint that if one dies, both die).

• 6 months later...

Looking at the regeneration power you have listed, I have a question.

I ran it through the Hero Designer software as I was going to build a couple characters and then have at it, I built it as you suggested but I only come up with 31 points instead of 40 and Quickening as well I come up with 12 instead of 13...I took the liberty of customizing my own sheet and used the extra points to add Anonimity (which can be useful) at 3 points, a single point in False Identity (again useful) and then I tossed 5 points into Money: Well Off (these guys always seem to have ready cash somewhere) the spare point I put into Martial Arts for use in Weapon Element

The Quickening: Aid 1d6, all powers simultaneously (+2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Century; +3 1/4) (62 Active Points); Conditional Power: Only when beheading another Immortal Power does not work in Ubiquitous Circumstances (-2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/2), Self Only (-1/2) 12 Points

Regeneration: Healing BODY 1 point, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (46 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2) 31 Points

Also if you make the Methuselah Crystal with the Independent modifier (-2) you can save a ton of points, would that work easier as a Multipower with variable slots?

My 2 coppers....I will let you know how playtest on my end turns out...

Tkdguy, you are now repped! This is a great resource. The only think I'd change is to remove every single reference to the second Highlander movie. God that was awful. I'll take Jar Jar Binks over that spectacular piece of crap anyday!

That particular prize need not be the only objective of the PCs. Both the films and the television series featured friendships between immortals, and the pursuit of other goals.

And the key word here is "eventually." For immortals that can be a long, long time from now. ;)

Friendships among immortals do occur, so they can adventure together. It is possible to have solo games. I ran a different adventure for each person in the group once; mind you, running 3-4 adventures simultaneously can be draining.

Now I'm goiing to have nightmares about Jar Jar Binks being an immortal. :fear:

"Meesa thinkin' theresa gonna be only one?" Decapitate and run, I don't want ANY of that quickening...

Speaking of which...a playtest has been occurring during my vacation of last week and continues now, this is an update. There are three immortals total of various ages and backgrounds, two guys (550 years old and 200 years old) and one girl (115 years old). Yes, I made them all write up character histories based on 3 to 5 life events per 100 years, those writeups have recently finished as have all my new plot hooks :sneaky: . We all do medieval re-enactment (SCA) so history is easy, twisting the event is hard.

I am a perpetual tweaker, not because I think you should get more bang for your buck so you can min-max but so that the particular elements of a power can properly reflect how they work in 'real' space. This is what we have agreed upon so far:

Tweaked: Immortal Regeneration: Healing BODY 1d6, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Limited Power Power Cannot Be Pushed (-1/4) 27 points

Reasoning: The immortal can't not regenerate, he can't opt to not heal that wound it happens automatically, we figured that if he really really wants to not heal that hit to make it look like he's normal he'd have to spend a big chunk of END, at least 3x or better. Savings of 13 points.

Tweaked: The Quickening: Aid 1d6, all [special effect] powers simultaneously (+2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Century; +3 1/4) (62 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Ubiquitous Circumstances (-2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character; -1/2) 11 points

(Quickening Side Effect Blast: Energy Blast 4d6 (vs. ED), Explosion (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), Gradual Effect (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1/4))

Reasoning: Added the side effect to reflect the actual damage done to the surroundings. Savings of 2 points.

Additional Template adds:

Anonimity 3 points

Reasoning: these guys slide from place to place with people not really remembering them

False Identity 1 point

Reasoning: always handy to have this as a floating point perk, renews every so often

I also added the following to customize characters, 5 additional types of Quickening.

The Quickening (Enhanced): Aid 1 1/2d6, all [special effect] powers simultaneously (+2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Century; +3 1/4) (94 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Ubiquitous Circumstances (-2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character; -1/2) 17 points

Reasoning: Available to older immortals who know how to get a little more out of the kill. 6 extra points.

The Quickening (Quiet): Aid 1d6, all [special effect] powers simultaneously (+2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Century; +3 1/4) (62 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Ubiquitous Circumstances (-2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/2), Self Only (-1/2) No Side Effect 12 points

Reasoning: no side effect, for the more pious immortals that just have the white light and holy choir, no damge, poof, done... 1 extra point

The Quickening (Painful): Aid 1d6, all [special effect] powers simultaneously (+2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Century; +3 1/4) (62 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Ubiquitous Circumstances (-2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character; -1 1/2), Self Only (-1/2) 9 points

(Quickening Side Effect Blast (Painful): Energy Blast 8d6 (vs. ED), Explosion (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (120 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), Gradual Effect (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1/4))

Reasoning:more damaging side effect to fit a more violent personality in the immortal. 2 less points

The Quickening (Peaceful): Aid 1 1/2d6, all [special effect] powers simultaneously (+2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Century; +3 1/4) (94 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Ubiquitous Circumstances (-2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/2), Self Only (-1/2) No Side Effect 19 points

Reasoning: very old, very pious immortals only, rarest of quickenings. 8 extra points

The Quickening (Weakened): Aid 0 1/2d6, all [special effect] powers simultaneously (+2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Century; +3 1/4) (31 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Ubiquitous Circumstances (-2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-1), Self Only (-1/2) 5 points

Reasoning: This was created for a cowardly and relatively weak immortal, more a brainiac than a fighter, this also works well for new immortals who are untrained, 6 less points.

Weapons became a strong point of contention, specifically the personalizing, I had to limit the potential addons to a custom compound power.

There were all Independent, OAF(Durable/Difficult to obtain new Focus), cannot be Pushed, Real Weapon based around a 2d6-1 HKA (STR Min 12)

optional ads were required for one, one and a half or two handed and STR min to wield, most of them opted for one and a half handed.

Reach was possible (1" Stretching) for 1 point(great weapons, polearms, big honkin' axes), Negative Combat skills (-1 to opponent's ocv or dcv) for 1 point (tangler type weapons or swords with big quillions), +1 w/ HTH combat skills for 1 point (basic fine balance), Penalty skill levels (+2 to hit locations w/ all attacks) for 1 point (more to reflect skill than actual weapon seeking capabilities), and +5 to either Fast Draw or Concealment for 1 point (these guys pull these things out of their shirt pockets or cleavage with ease).

So far the most dangerous combinations are with martial arts maneuvers with the weapon element:

Fast Strike, Weapon Block, Counterstrike, Weapon Flash, Haymaker for Decapitation (called shot to head @ -8). The Martial Flash helps with the last maneuver immensely as several test combats proved. Also helps when a target gets CON stunned. Lightning Reflexes is a big seller too, arguements were posed for adding them to the weapon creation but I nixed that.

All the extra points saved earlier were put into either martial arts or more skills.

Also if you add Independent to the Methuselah Crystal and bump the Immunity to include chemical agents (makes it sweet for even an immortal to own it) the cost drops to 22.

Methuselah Crystal :Elemental Control, 34-point powers, (17 Active Points); all slots Independent (-2), IAF Fragile Expendable (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 3/4), Arrangement (-1/4) 3 points

-+4 with All Combat (32 Active Points); Independent (-2), IAF Fragile Expendable (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 3/4), Arrangement (-1/4) 3 points

-Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: Immortal) (25 Active Points); Independent (-2), IAF Fragile Expendable (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 3/4), Arrangement (-1/4) 3 points

-Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Independent (-2), IAF Fragile Expendable (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 3/4), Arrangement (-1/4) 3 points

-Regeneration: Healing BODY 2d6, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (80 Active Points); Independent (-2), IAF Fragile Expendable (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 3/4), Arrangement (-1/4), Always On (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Limited Power Power Cannot Be Pushed (-1/4) 10 points

My two coppers, for what it's worth...(wow, am I wordy, my longest post so far I think)