Speaking of Campaigns

Shikarr

I have a thought or two. One is what types of campaigns do people run? Low powered, High powered, mid level? Mine run basically from Mid level to high powered. Generally well in the middle though. Also what setting do people use? Do they use Millenium City, Hudson City, or a local city or one of their own making. I am using Hudson City basically as a backdrop at the moment but have placed it close to Millenium City in my game world. Also, do people keep decent notes of their campaigns? Luckily I have a slightly obsessive compulsive in my group who likes to personallize her notes on the game and I keep a backup copy of her stuff with mine for keeping track of the campaign. If you all would like I have asked her if it would be okay to share her writings of our campaign and she said if you all would like I can post them. They are quite an interesting read overall. So let me know what your all answer to the questions are and if you would like to see the record of my campaign to date.

Our campaigns usually start in the 350 point range with 60 AP and such, but we have a generous GM who gives an avg. of 5 XP per game session so we quickly get into the 400 point range. We have some characters who have become iconic and most of our campaigns are run in real cities (Chicago, NYC, SF).

As far as notes go, not so much but we do have some great stories that serve as a living history of past Champions Campaigns.

Re: Speaking of Campaigns

I have more than one campaign I run (Same players though), I tend towards Standard power, but they've really enjoyed the one high powered one I have.

I use both my own setting as well as Millennium City. MC has worked out pretty well, but I sometimes worry I play too fast and loose with it rather than using it's full details. I don't keep good notes.:(

BTW, I like that idea of having Hudson City and Millennium City near each other... in a campaign, it could be great contrast between a decaying sprawl and an almost utopian metropolis.

Thank you for the complement on my having Hudson and Millennium City next to each other. I do use the contrast between them quite a bit and also it helps me slowly integrate a bit of higher tech into the game city slowly instead of full blown as Millenium City is. Also it allows my lower to middle powered heros to sometimes deal with street crime and the occasional outbreak of advanced weaponry from Millenium with complete believability and ease. :)

I'm currently running a "fourth to fifth edition" campaign, set in Detroit 1992 and leading to the Battle of Detroit. After that, I plan on moving fast-forward to present-day Millenium City. The campaign is set on standard 350 points.

I keep records of my campaign, but since they're in Italian there would be little use in posting them. Anyway, I like reading campaign logs; they're an excellent source of inspiration.

I'm sort of sub-medium powered. I started my characters at 300pts to keep the discrepancy between experienced and inexperienced character makers small. Subsequentlly I've inflated experience a bit to make up for it.

If I were to make a new campaign today (Superheroic) I'd probably give the players the standard 350. It's already too hard to handle 8 PCs. They do a good job of chewing up my villains with those numbers; I can't imagine what they'd do at 450.

I'm actually dying to start a Dark Champions game. Too bad the new edition won't be out until mid-year.

I run a campaign set in Detroit in the 1980's, which is based on the 4th Edition Champions Universe and Dark Champions Universe. The PCs began at 250 points, and over the course of the 10 year long campaign some have earned enough XP to put them around 450 to 480 points total. There are, however, characters of lower power level, so basically the campaign has various power levels ranging from 250 to 480 (Active Cost is 50 to 70 points).

In the past 10 years of the campaign the PCs have "lived" through 5 years of their lives (1983 to 1988). I have begun to add some of the elements of the 5th Edition Champions Universe to our 4th Edition Universe (for example, when the campaign reaches 1992 Dr. Destroyer will destroy Detriot, and construction will begin on Millennium City).

As for the records kept on the campaign, well I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to that. I have a timeline detailing every adventure of the PCs that is over 300 pages long. I've run hundreds of adventures in the campaign's long run, and I wanted to make sure there was a record of their exploits. I also keep other detailed notes, such as details of super bases, NPCs, Stronghold guests lists, etc.

Our campaign is 5e Standard, so all characters started at 350 points. At this time we have several characters approaching 400 points (388 is the highest, with a couple 385s). Our team, MidGuard, is the Avengers/JLA of our gameworld, most paranormals are 200-300 points so we're the ones who fight the big nasties. At 2 - 3 XP per month we'll hit the 400 mark this spring.

We don't play in the CU but in the "real" world; our adventures tend to be globe spanning. Our team is secretly based out of Norway, so most of our adventures tend to take place in Europe. One of the coolest aspects of our campaign is the constant travels to exotic locations such as Japan, Easter Island, lost Mayan cities, the jungles of the Congo, the central Mongolian desert, etc., where we meet interesting people/lifeforms and beat them up. :) ) We don't use Champions' villains per se, but a bit of judicious poaching from CKC goes on. We've fought Eurostar (suitably modified) and last weekend simultaneously took on two Mechanon variants (reworked into giant 32' centipede forms rather than 10' humanoid, with pincers 6d6 HKA, Extra Limbs, Stretching, Clinging, Swimming, etc.). Tough fight.