What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Been reading Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. Currently, I'm up to the 3rd book Cursor's Fury.

Entertaining, thus far. No surprises, I expected as much from the author of The Dresden Files. The Roman elements struck me as odd enough that I went delving online to find out what was up with 'em. Fairly cool magic system. I'll keep reading them as they come out.

Been reading Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. Currently' date=' I'm up to the 3rd book [i']Cursor's Fury[/i].

Entertaining, thus far. No surprises, I expected as much from the author of The Dresden Files. The Roman elements struck me as odd enough that I went delving online to find out what was up with 'em. Fairly cool magic system. I'll keep reading them as they come out.

Butcher is on my short list of "if he writes it I want It!"

:thumbup:

The Black Company by Glen Cook. I read this once a long time ago--so long ago' date=' apparently, that I didn't remember most of it. It's possible I didn't finish it back then, since at the time I don't think I had developed much tolerance for gritty. Cook has an interesting writing style--it seems very spare; there is little descriptive text and he often glosses over seemingly major plot events, so it's a little surprising the book is as long as it is. I've started in on the sequel (Shadows Linger) already.[/quote']

I found this entire series quite enjoyable, if (indeed) quite gritty. The characters have even been creeping into my fantasy games over the years - my players have learned that when fighting the Black Company, never take anything for granted, because it is rarely what it seems to be. :D And Lady makes a GREAT villian... (love.gif/:mad:)

Fool Moon (Dresden Files Book 2) by Jim Butcher.

It's pretty good. Great pacing, Neat plot twists, Lots of action and a bit more insight into the Dresden Files World. I'd recommend it!

I also finished Storm Front (D.F. Bk. 1) and I'm 3/4 of the way through book 3 Grave Peril. I'm starting to read more now that my satellite box's card fried week before last.

Princep's Fury by Jim Butcher: Alera vs the Vord with some cold revenge and a new High Lord.

CES[/QUOTe]

Up to this point also, can't wait for First Lord's Fury. Love the various magic systems (furies, blood magic, symbiotic magic(marat)). The point in cursor's fury where he does an excellent job of showing why a phalanx works, even against superior forces.

Friend of mine has been loaning me the Thraxus series. Noir detective in a fantasy setting.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I am torn. I liked parts' date=' hated others. I had picked up one or two of the original run of Comics, and it is nice to know what was really going on, but I still hate it when innocents are murdered.[/quote']

I ended up ordering the compilation. I've liked Witchblade enough to give it a shot.

Hmmm... Sci-Fi

The Eisenhorn Trilogy by Dan Abnett... Surprisingly good. It's set in the Warhammer 40k universe, follows Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn (and his group of agents) and is written entirely in the 1st person. :cool:

Started reading Vorpal Blade.

I don't know if it's any good yet, but with a title like Vorpal Blade? Come on, how could I pass that up?

Did you read Through the Looking Glass first?

Most recently finished Dragon Heir by Cinda Williams Chima, the last book in the Heir Trilogy (following Warrior Heir and Wizard Heir). It's a young adult/teen level fantasy-in-the-modern-world story revolving around a group of young magic-users caught up in a civil war within the hidden wizard society. The triology is an easy read, has some good characterization, and was overall quite enjoyable. I give it four stars out of five.

(My current endevour is Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. My friends have been telling me for years to read this one. We'll see how I like it.)

Lonewalker

By Schism Rent Asunder: I liked it better than Armageddon Reef because Merlin plays a smaller role in it. Merlin's too much of a munchkin for my taste.

In the Courts of the Crimson Kings: The Martians are a riot. "Agreement-apprehension of inflicting involuntary injury during parareproductive minimizes anticipatory stimulation."

(My current endevour is Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. My friends have been telling me for years to read this one. We'll see how I like it.)

You realize, of course, that if you don't like it you'll be disowned by all of us. ;)

You realize' date=' of course, that if you don't like it you'll be disowned by all of us. ;)[/quote']

Ahem - yes, well, so far it's the most exceptional piece of literature ever to be produced by human hands. And I'm only twenty-five pages into it.

(Hm...might have overshot the mark a bit there....)

Lonewalker

Ahem - yes, well, so far it's the most exceptional piece of literature ever to be produced by human hands. And I'm only twenty-five pages into it.

Lonewalker

. . . You will like it!

And again -- no pressure.

Mercenaries by Angela Knight

I do not recommend it. The "mercenaries" do no fighting worth mentioning. But they do tie girls up and have sex with them, all in a spirit of good kinky more or less consensual fun. So if that's what you are into, hey, go for it.

Lonewalker

I liked it. I think you will too.

Mercenaries by Angela Knight

I do not recommend it. The "mercenaries" do no fighting worth mentioning. But they do tie girls up and have sex with them, all in a spirit of good kinky more or less consensual fun. So if that's what you are into, hey, go for it.

I'll have to put it on My wishlist.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if "mercenary" always implies "mercenary soldier...."