What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Just finished Turn Coat (Yay for libraries that ignore street dates).

Spoiler free commentary.

I thought it was one of the best in the series. It did have some obvious transitional stuff, and set up for future bits, but most all the recent Dresden books have had that.

We get some more info on Harry's mom, lots of info on the White Council, and most every secondary character (except the Carpenters) appears in the book somewhere (even if just for a cameo). Harry is actually planning things a little more ahead, and there is serious butt kicking. There are also a number of things that end up sad for Harry... but things are hopeful at the very end, even with the bittersweet moments.

Highly recommended.

Wait... no Molly?

Yeah' date=' well Mean Streets showed Michael up and walking, but not much else. So now Harry has two holy swords to deal with.[/quote']

Yeah. Nifty little story there.

I figure the books with Micheal in them are required reading for anyone who wants to play a paladin in an RPG. He's the perfect example for one.

Yeah. Nifty little story there.

I figure the books with Micheal in them are required reading for anyone who wants to play a paladin in an RPG. He's the perfect example for one.

Ayup. Now all Butcher needs to do is get all of his Dresden short stories collected into one volume for easy access.

Short Stories?

Butcher's published a number of them. I have two - the one in the Mean Streets compilation (4 urban fantasy stories), Backup (a story told by Thomas) a small hardcover. He's also done two comic minis - one set before Storm Front (Welcome to the Jungle), and a comic adaption of storm front. Both are pretty decent. Welcome to the jungle is out in trade. Butcher wrote the comic, so the characters feel right.

I'd love to see a Dresden Files story collection.

Butcher's published a number of them. I have two - the one in the Mean Streets compilation (4 urban fantasy stories), Backup (a story told by Thomas) a small hardcover. He's also done two comic minis - one set before Storm Front (Welcome to the Jungle), and a comic adaption of storm front. Both are pretty decent. Welcome to the jungle is out in trade. Butcher wrote the comic, so the characters feel right.

I'd love to see a Dresden Files story collection.

Thanks LM,

I'd like to see DF season two.......:D

Anathem by Neal Stephenson: Short story premise stretched out to door-stopper length by the cunning use of page after page of lectures and dialogues about geometry, physics, the nature of reality, God, human consciousness, perception, flatulent dragons, and blocks of ice at the heart of suns. And I still never could figure out how you can use an Orion drive to travel between universes. Go fig.

Anathem by Neal Stephenson: Short story premise stretched out to door-stopper length by the cunning use of page after page of lectures and dialogues about geometry' date=' physics, the nature of reality, God, human consciousness, perception, flatulent dragons, and blocks of ice at the heart of suns. And I still never could figure out how you can use an Orion drive to travel between universes. Go fig.[/quote']

Sounds like one I'll miss. I like his stuff, but that seems a bit much.

Sounds like one I'll miss. I like his stuff' date=' but that seems a bit much.[/quote']

I like Stephenson's stuff, but it seems to follow a pretty similar path since Snow Crash: slow going until the last 20% of the book or so, then everything he spent several hundred pages setting up starts to come together and the book ends up being enjoyable. Those several hundred pages of setup can be grueling at times, though.

The last SF book I finished was Witches Incorporated by K.E. Mills.It's the second book in The Rogue Wizard series.

For those who came in late,the series is about a mage called Gerald Dunwoody (NOT Dunnywood,as the chief plonker in the series calls him),who becomes the most powerful mage in the world after an accident at Stuttleys,the country's most famous magic staff factory.

After the events in the previous book,Gerald is now a junior secret agent for his country's secret service,and is now investigating the worlds foremost airship company,after several transport portals have been sabotaged.

(Note:In this world,most transport is now done via magical teleport portals,with dire consequences for other means of transport.Matters are not helped by the fact that the company's leader is a sexist idiot).

The Witches Incorporated of the title is made up of Monk's sister (who is as brilliant and careless as he is),Princess Melisande (trying to work incognito),and Reg,the annoying talking bird/former princess.Due to the country's sexism,business is poor,until they take a job from the sister of the aforementioned sexist idiot.With the help of a sprite (summoned by Monk's new dimensional portal) the cheating cook is exposed ,and Witches Inc. take a job exposing a biscuit thief,which gets them mixed up in Gerald's case...

I finished "turn coat" by jim butcher. Very good but I figured out who the trator was as soon as he was introduced.

some of the things that I think should happen...

1. Harry should give one of the swords to Karen Murphy.
  2. Murphy should get her PI license and become Harrys partner
  3. find a girl dog for mouse, give a puppy to the Archive (she needs a friend)

I finished "turn coat" by jim butcher. Very good but I figured out who the trator was as soon as he was introduced.

some of the things that I think should happen...

1. Harry should give one of the swords to Karen Murphy.
  2. Murphy should get her PI license and become Harrys partner
  3. find a girl dog for mouse, give a puppy to the Archive (she needs a friend)

1. Murphy refused the sword back in Small Favor. Drawing it, and the result (a blinding white light) scared her. However, she might take the sword up later.
  2. I like the current dynamic. I see Molly as Harry's PI partner.
  3. While I'm not sure if Mouse needs a love interest, giving the Archive a Foo Dog is a really good idea.

1. Murphy refused the sword back in Small Favor. Drawing it, and resulting result (blinding white light) scared her. However, she might take the sword up later.
  2. I like the current dynamic. I see Molly as Harry's PI partner.
  3. While I'm not sure if Mouse needs a love interest, giving the Archive a Foo Dog is a really good idea.

Agreed on all points. The Archive having a Foo Puppy would be just nifty. :)

... bought it but haven't read it yet (Turn Coat).

1) Rereading Callahan's Con by Spider Robinson.

2) Playing LOTRO entirely too much. The MMO siren song has been too strong so far.

1. Murphy refused the sword back in Small Favor. Drawing it, and the result (a blinding white light) scared her. However, she might take the sword up later.

Considering that Harry's wizard sight showed her as (to Harry) an angel. I think (hope) it will happen eventualy

While I'm not sure if Mouse needs a love interest, giving the Archive a Foo Dog is a really good idea.

He still a dog. I assume he has a normal dogs reaction to a female in heat, but maybe not.

A easy way of setting up the plot of giving her a foo dog is.. have the Archive call Harry, and tells him she needs help because Kincaid is missing.

Another Doc Savage Double header with The Squeaking Goblin and the Evil Gnome. In the first book, the Squeaking Goblin causes a feud and tries to keep the bloodshed going. In the second, Lion Ellison is framed for murdering the governor of Missouri with the use of a gadget.

Note: I did use the Squeaking Goblin as a basic plot once. Naturally the players changed some of the story around. One of which was chasing the goblin through the woods, having him chase them, and negotiating a truce by promising to put the curb stomp on anyone who didn't abide by it. Eventually the ancient master tracked the Goblin to his lair where a long gun wouldn't do much against Kung Fu and that was the end of the adventure.

CES

"Matter" by Iain Banks. That was a very long book for an ending that had nothing to do with anything. A thousand pages of politics' date=' and then a god just shows up and kills everyone.[/quote']

Someone stole the ending of The Stand?

:mad::nonp::ugly::eek:

KA.

The Chronicles of Chrestomanci VOL 1 by Diane Wynn Jones. This is a two book novel which includes A Charmed Life where Cat Chant and his sister become orphans and go to live at Chrestomanci Castle, and The Lives of Christopher Chant where Christopher learns he can travel to other places and threaten the many universes next to his own.

CES

Just finished reading Small Favor by Jim Butcher. First off, at the price for the paperback, it will soon be cheaper to buy hardbacks at release then wait for it to come out in paperback. Second I enjoyed the plot and story and the secondary characters are well written and thought out, but there is something about the writing style that kind of bugs me. Not sure if its 400 pages of Harry self-deprecating himself, or if its 400 pages of Harry self-deprecating himself and then being so uber-competent that he manages to outwit the world's most power beings. Third, the editor needs to pull out the multi-page internet dissertations that have been in the last two books. So yeaha few gripes, but mostly minor, overall I thought it was a pretty good book and a fun read.

Just finished reading Small Favor by Jim Butcher. .

I just picked up the new one. Overall I like where the series has been heading and I hope the new one keeps things rolling. But tomorrow I have tics to the game so it will be Sunday before I pick it up....