What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Personally' date=' I loved these books when I first read them many, many years ago - the series gets better & better. Intervention (a sort of prequel) is good, but I'd avoid the other books actually set in the Milieu[/quote']

Rumours persist that they were actually written by her editor and son, Sprague Christopher Brian May.

Just finished Captain's Fury, by Jim Butcher. Fourth book in the Furies of Calderon series. Great read, as usual. Every book I read by Butcher only raises my level of respect for his writing. There were some moments of epic and woot here, as Tavi gets himself deeper into trouble.

One thing about Butcher, his characters (especially Dresden) know how to get themselves into whole heaps of trouble fast. =)

Just finished Captain's Fury, by Jim Butcher. Fourth book in the Furies of Calderon series. Great read, as usual. Every book I read by Butcher only raises my level of respect for his writing. There were some moments of epic and woot here, as Tavi gets himself deeper into trouble.

One thing about Butcher, his characters (especially Dresden) know how to get themselves into whole heaps of trouble fast. =)

I'll have to try them again. I have every Dresden, but couldn't make it half way the the first fury book. Maybe in a few years...

War of Honor by David Weber

Most of it is pretty good, and for once Honor doesn't end up losing most of her crew. But the most important thing which occurs is absurd. Knowing that the guy in charge of foreign relations is a political enemy, shouldn't they be trying to keep an eye on him?

Rumours persist that they were actually written by her editor and son' date=' Sprague Christopher Brian May.[/quote']

L. Sprauge de Camp

Christopher Tolkien

Brian Herbert

and....

???

Rumours persist that they were actually written by her editor and son' date=' Sprague Christopher Brian May.[/quote']

Which ones, the Saga of the Exiles, or the Milieu books?

I just finished reading Matter by Iain M. Banks. I was dissapointed with the ending, but otherwise it was a good book. It's mostly about a primitive society living in the shadow of hyper advanced societies. The setting is a Shellworld - an megaconstruct - sequentially larger hollow spheres around central core, with towers supporting them.

• 3 weeks later...

Read my last Doc Savage double book Man of Bronze/Land of Terror. In the first, Doc's dad has left a land grant in Hidalgo and someone doesn't want him to claim it. In the second, The Smoke of Eternity leads Doc to a land of the lost.

Read the Dead Man's Brother by Roger Zelazny. Ovid Wiley, ex-thief and art dealer, finds his former partner dead in his gallery. Then the police arrive and arrest him. Then the CIA asks him to do a job to get clear of the murder.

CES

The City & The City -- Bizarre murder mystery by China Mevillie that takes place in a inclave/enclave divided city.

Isn't the divide trans-dimensional? I thought I remembered that there were two cities superimposed on each other where each could peer at the other through breaches in the fabric?

Doc

Lois McMaster Bujold's Passage, the third book in The Sharing Knife quartet.

It's got a really wonderful sequence where Dag and Fawn (and Whit) hitch a lift down the river Grey. It's based off Bujold's experience riverboating on the Ohio and research she did. At the end, Dag takes them to the seaside and they go paddling.

There's also an awesome takedown of river bandits headed up by a rogue Lakewalker. Amongst other things, let's just say that Whit grows up fast when he gets his first combat kill. He's got a talent with a bow, that lad.

Now I have to wait for Horizons to come out in paperback. :mad:

Isn't the divide trans-dimensional? I thought I remembered that there were two cities superimposed on each other where each could peer at the other through breaches in the fabric?

Doc

I thought it was... but no, the cities exist side-by-side, but the residents go to great lengths to not see each other.

Who Censored Roger Rabbit

It is VERY differnt from the movie "Who framed Roger Rabbit".

good idea. Good read, but it might have been better with a differnt writer

1. toons are not immortal or unkillable. When they speek, thier words appear in ballons over thier head. but they can talk normal if they work at it
  2. toons are able to produce a doppleganger copies of themselves that act as stuntmen
  3. the president of a comic company is murdered, possably by roger
  4. the real Roger Rabbit is killed early, but a doppleganger he sent on a errand survives
  5. Jessica is NOT in love with Roger.
  6. all the suspects are interested in Rogers missing teapot

Consider Phlebas -- Ian M Banks' 1st Culture novel. I think I'm hooked. Besides, you got to love any society that names a warship No More Mister Nice Guy.

The Dark Lord of Derkholm and Year of the Griffin -- two fun Diana Wynne Jones young adult novels. I've decided that Diana Wynne Jones is one of those author's I'll read regardless of what the books about (within reason). Her fantasy novels are a lot of fun. These two concern a fantasy world with some of the usual trappings -- dragons, magic, elves, and so on. In the first, our heroes seeks to rescue their world from the domination of dimensional traveler, who uses their world to run destructive fantasy tours. The second concerns troubles at the University of Magic, specifically their lack of funds.

In addition, I have House of Many Ways waiting in the wings, which is the second sequel to Howl's Moving Castle.

Consider Phlebas -- Ian M Banks' 1st Culture novel. I think I'm hooked. Besides' date=' you got to love any society that names a warship [i']No More Mister Nice Guy[/i].

:)

They name themselves though, it's part of the Mind's growing up process. For some reason they like using parodies of old Earth culture proverbs, non-sequitors or ambiguities.

You can find a list of them here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_(The_Culture)

Although as the ships are AI several million times more intelligent than a human being - it's difficult to categorise any of them. They sometimes change jobs as well when bored (ie from warship to something else).

I recently finished Matter - and I have to say my favourite ship name is non-Culture, the Nariscene "The Hundredth Idiot" mostly because of its proverbial origins.