What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Finally got around to reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I can assume everyone has heard of it, but I found it to be a very good story, deliberately limited to the perspective and knowledge of the main character. Not to be cliche, but I liked the book better than the movie, and I did like the movie.

Read and thoroughly enjoyed the first two installments of Kate Locke's "Immortal Empire" series. Queen Victoria along with all the nobility of Europe became either vampires or werewolves during the Black Plague years and are still in power in the year 2013 as the preparations ramp up to celebrate the 175th year of her reign. Steam Punk, Urban Fantasy, Gaslight, Romance (sorry about that) with what I found to be a really interesting setting that I really wish someone had a nice wiki for, because I can totally picture running adventures in that world using the Monster Hunter International rule book.

• 4 weeks later...

The Titus Crow omnibus by Brian Lumley which features The Burrowers Beneath, tHe Transition of Titus Crowe and The Clock of Dreams. The first story is the best and strongest. After that Titus becomes a Mary Sue and Tiana is pure fan service.I could see the book being written in Lovecraft's time but it was actually written much later. My recommendation is get the firt book on its own (Burrowers Beneath) for the Cthonians in all their glory.

t's see. Recently "Wraith" by Phaedra Weldron (not too bad, will read the rest of the series), "Brother To Dragons Companion to Owls" by Jane Linskold (really enjoyed this one,but it is hard to describe why; maybe I just empathised with the lead characters) and currently "Hunted By The Others" by Jess Haines a little bit slow but I like the background (were's, vampires and mages having come "our of the closet" and what that does to the legal system, plus murder and just a touch of romance)

A few days ago, I finished reading "Three Hearts and Three Lions" by Poul Anderson. I picked up this book for two reasons...

1. Supposedly, this is one of those fantasy classics that predates The LOTR trilogy (if only by a year).

2. I usually enjoy books that feature a modern man thrust against his will into a parallel Earth where magic works.

Thankfully, this is a very short book. More of a long novella in my opinion. I would not have finished it (and almost didn't) if it were longer than 170 pages. I did find parts interesting… Sadly, I found an equal number of parts annoying or just too simplistic for my taste. The majority of annoying parts were found in the first half of the book…which contributed to my early desire to stop reading. I am glad that I finished, but only marginally so.

I give this book a 2 out of 5 on the Goodreads' scale.

• 1 month later...

Read the Rithmatist by Sanderson. In the United Isles, chalk is used to battle the wild chalklings. Then the students are taken from their school.

Confusion of Princes by Nix. The empire is run by a million princes who have unlimited power in their narrow jurisdiction. One of the cogs decides to leave the machine

CES

• 3 weeks later...

Read Spellbound by Larry Correia. The Grimnoir take on the government and reveal a plot to to make every active slaves and guinea pigs. The most epic part of this book is George Bolander breaking a twenty year drought in the dust bowl by one shotting a spirit creature with his lightning.

CES

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Read Chosen by Bendict Jacka. Alex Verus is being pursued by a bunch of adepts who want to punish him for something he did when he was their age. When he can't talk them out of their revenge, he has to do something horrible to them.

Too Many Curses by Lee Martinez. A kobold is the cleaning lady of a wizard's castle. When the wizard is accidentally killed, she has to keep the residents safe from a new menace.

CES  

Just finished "This Book is Full of Spiders" the sequel to "John Dies at the End".

I enjoy these books a lot but hesitate to recommend them unless I really know the tastes of the person I'm suggesting it to. Imagine if King or Straub teamed up with the Southpark/Book of Mormon guys. Funny, horrific, gross, and genuinely scary in parts.

• 4 weeks later...

Read the "I Am Number Four" series and actually found it a fun read and compelling! It is very much a YA read, and plot holes and other less than adult novel issues abound, but I didn't regret the time spent reading them and found the setting inspirational enough to wonder about setting a teen champions game in it.  :rockon: