What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Soulless by Gail Carriger. Its the first book of the Parasol Protectorate series. I picked it up so I'd have something to read to my youngest daughter, who is eleven -- thought they were not targeted at the YA audience. I have been very pleasantly surprised. While its a fairly boiler-plate urban vampire and werewolf fare, the author's love of the Victorian era really shines through and the main character has an interesting premise. She also has an excellent sense of characterization, a tongue clearly planted in cheek, and a highly witty turn of phrase that makes them a great deal of fun to read.

"Death's Daughter" by Amber Benson (who played Tara on Buffy incidentaly). Light urban fantasy about a daughter of the grim reaper who, despite being determined to live a normal life far from the world of magic, finds herself drawn rack in when her father goes missing. A nice take on the urban fantasy genre that's an easy, entertaining read. There are sequels that I want to read but havnt gotten to yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Monster Hunter: International

A solid piece of work. I thought that the introduction of the Big Bads so early in the series might be playing too many dramatic cards too quickly. I was also offput by the gun fanboyism. I love to shoot and I love guns, but I have never been exactly to the point where I can (or want to) quote manufacturer and model number. It was a jarring break from the narrative every time a new toy was mentioned. A few other things kept this from being a solid 5/5. I'll give it a 3.5 out of 5 though.

Monster Hunter Legion (Monster Hunters International)

Heard about this series because of the game adaptation.  Great series, but it escalated too quickly and could have been a 6-7 book series.  I am a fast reader and really hate it when I find a great series and then it writes itself to an ending.... :weep:

H.E.R.O. - Nightmonger

This makes Kevin Rau's 12th book in the primary storyline. He has two shorter ones that cover side stories.  He started as self published and his writing is getting better.  But the setting and story are well thought out and one of the very few Supers series/book out there that are actually about superHERO's.  You may have to put up with some grammar and dialog issues, but on the whole this is a solid story.

Omega Night (Wearing the Cape)

The other series that actually features superHERO's.  This series is also a good solid read for anyone looking for superHERO storys.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently finished with Treecat Wars, the third of the Star Kingdom YA series by David Weber and Jane Lindskold(?)

set some three to five hundred years before the events in the main Honorverse stories, and am currently reading Come

And Take Them, the fifth in a series of novels by Tom Kratman (the previous books in the series are A Desert Called

Peace, Carnifex, The Amazon Legion, and The Lotus Eaters) set on an Earthlike world whose major power blocs are

similar to those of modern-day Earth.

Major Tom 2009 :dyn

• 5 weeks later...

Not done yet, but am reading Neville Shute's In the Wet.  It starts out being the story of an aging Episcopalian priest in Northern Australia in the 1950s, then abruptly shifts to the adventures of the Queen of England's pilot in the 1980s.  What's striking is not the bits that Mr. Shute got wrong (he's got some political axes to grind) but that he correctly guessed that Elizabeth II would still be queen, Charles would still be the Prince of Wales, and he is married with two young boys.

The racism in the book is weird...the hero's nickname, which he insists his friends call him, is the N-word.  (He's mixed race.)

• 2 weeks later...

I recently read The Martian by Andy Weir.  It's about a manned, 30-day Mars mission that has to abort after 6 days, and a mishap during the evac leaves one crew member behind and assumed dead.  Once he realizes what's happened, he has to figure out how to contact Earth to let them know he's alive, and then stay that way until they can come get him.  Luckily, the next mission is set to land about 1000km away and in about 4 years, so, no pressure.  I read this in essentially one sitting, and while I am no astronaut, it seemed realistic...it was definitely realistic enough to get me thinking about the Solar Hero period.  I definitely recommend this to anyone setting up a campaign in that time period.

Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan.  It was entertaining, with a fairly diverse set of characters.  Napoleonic setting with magic.  As the industrial revolution takes hold, a new sort of magic is appearing: powder mages. They can snort gunpower like cocaine to become superhuman (also addictive like cocaine), plus they can control bullets, redirect energy from exploding gunpowder, and more. great fun.

The Given Sacrifice by S.M. Stirling.   4th book of Emberverse III.  Or the 10th book in the series.    I have enjoyed the series, both the Emberverse and the not quite related 'Island in the Sea of Time' series. 

I enjoyed the Emberverse because it is a nice change of pace from 'standard' fantasy/scifi.  And it is one of the very very very few fantasy series in the universe still in print that does not have vampires, werewolves or zombies.   That alone makes it the best current fantasy series in existence. :hail:

• 2 weeks later...

I finally picked up The Martian. I can recommend it. As Robinsonades go, it was a lot of fun. The character was kind of flat, but he was funny, and he had the kind of optimistic I-can-do-this attitude that we see too little in sci fi these days. And Chris Hadfield liked the technical accuracy in it so it has that going for it.

read three books today. Jay Gustilainis Known Devil is about the Scranton Police Department's Occult Crimes Squad trying to stop a vampire mobster war, a new drug designed to hook elves, and tea party expy wanting to start a species war.Joe Lansdale's Deadman's Road is a set of stories about Reverend Jebidiah Mercer and his vocation of killing monsters in the old west. Chuck Wendig's Mockingbird has a psychic trying to stop a serial killer in a girl's school.

CES 

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Shadow of Freedom by David Weber. The plot continues to thicken as the Star Kingdom of Manticore and the Solarian League edge closer to open warfare. But are they being manipulated (again)?

The latest installment in this series has far too many characters and some atrocious editing -- typical for an Honorverse novel. It also has lots of action, intrigue, and snappy dialogue, which make it a good read if you can get over the aforementioned hang-ups. For me, this series is a guilty pleasure, and I just keep plowing thru them regardless.

Just finished Shadow of Freedom by David Weber. The plot continues to thicken as the Star Kingdom of Manticore and the Solarian League edge closer to open warfare. But are they being manipulated (again)?

The latest installment in this series has far too many characters and some atrocious editing -- typical for an Honorverse novel. It also has lots of action, intrigue, and snappy dialogue, which make it a good read if you can get over the aforementioned hang-ups. For me, this series is a guilty pleasure, and I just keep plowing thru them regardless.

Yup....The only part I don't really keep up on is the Crown sub-series.