What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Same here. I even got them on a CD with a bunch of free pdf books, and haven't started them yet. Don't care for the co-author.

For me it wasn't that.  I don't have a real issue with the co-author writing, just not that interested in his chosen story-lines.

It was the story was spy'ish/political intrigue'ish but seemed to skip the interesting parts of the genre and concentrate on the boring parts.   Like a text book with no payoff at the end....

• 1 month later...

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. With the world in decline a hunt to be the heir to a billionaire's fortune turns nasty when a corporation uses any means necessary to win. Lots of 80s trivia, And likeable protagonist. Thoroughly recommend to any who lived through or grew up in the 80s.

Equations of Life by Simon Morden. When Petrovich intervenes and stops a kidnapping, it lands him in more trouble than he bargained for. Set in London after the bombs have dropped this is an interesting look at post Apocalyptic life which is not Mad Max like. I liked it so much I was leant the sequels.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sledgehammer 44 and Hellboy in Hell: the Descent by the Mignola team. Sledgehammer brings back the Vril suit and the professor's daughter from the Iron Promethesus and The Black Flame from the Burning Hand as a dead man decides the course of the future. The Descent is the start of Hellboy's adventures in the underworld after he is killed by Nimue.

CES 

• 2 weeks later...

It must have been "British author month" for me or something

The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey.  This was a great read. Zombie apocalypse, but some of the child zombies are intelligent! Oh, they still have an overwhelming desire to consume human flesh. They're only nice until something rubs off a researchers scent-blocker. The story starts off at a prison camp/research facility studying them, and the story is principally about one little girl in particular.

The Outsorcerer's Apprentice by Tom Holt. Lots of funny in this one.  Lots of economics jokes. The only thing I didn't like was the unresolved questions, like where did the two mercenaries come from? How did the Unicorn know all he did?  Was the last prince to ask for a doughnut another relative of Florizel?

American Gods. I finally got around to it.  Good, and it was nice to see Odin as a trickster, after certain other recent works only remember he was a king.

The Dumb Gods Speak by E. Phillips Oppenheim:  A rare outright SF book by an influential spy thriller author, a spy thriller set in the future year of 1947.  Using advanced television and EMP weapons, the mysterious International Bureau is about to score its greatest coup, an end to war!  The good guys' plan is what would normally be supervillain territory.  http://www.skjam.com/2014/09/01/book-review-the-dumb-gods-speak/

The Cloak Society 3: Fall of Heroes by Jeramy Kraatz:  The villainous Cloak Society has captured the heroic Rangers of Justice and have taken over Sterling City by posing as the New Rangers.  Only former Cloak Society trainee Alex Knight and his group of superpowered kids know the truth, but they've been branded as criminals.  Can they rescue the Rangers, expose the Cloak Society (including Alex's parents) and save the city?

This book has a hidden fatal flaw, which I talk about in the postscript to my review.  http://www.skjam.com/2014/09/05/book-review-the-cloak-society-3-fall-of-heroes/