What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

I recently finished Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks. I wanted to give the Culture series a try and really enjoyed it, even though it wasn't what I was expecting. Good combination of space conflicts and planetary action. 4 of 5.

On the fantasy side I finished Orb Sceptre Throne by Ian C. Esslemont, the companion novels to The Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I thought Esslemont really got this book right vs the three before it. 5 of 5.

• 2 weeks later...

The Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu.  I didn't actually finish the book--I had to give it back to the library--but it's a collection of short stories, and I read all but the last two or three.  Genre wise, this book is all over the map, including historical fiction, cyberpunk, epic SF, and urban fantasy.  Liu's prose is very cleanly written (though not truly spare like a Hemingway), and the stories are all very thought provoking.

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

Very high concept.  Starts by pulling all those portal fantasy kids books (children going to Oz or Where the Wild Things Are) together and saying they all happened to kids on the same earth, even if they went to many different fantasy worlds. What happens to those kids after? The book is set in a school that provides therapy to kids who desperately want to go back to whichever Wonderland or Neverland they visited. (the school for kids who hated the place and want to forget it is somewhere else).

Very interesting. The whole thing is a murder mystery. The book is short, (more of a novella), so it can't get boring.

Chosen by Benedict Jacka.

A group of adepts target Alex Verus for death after events that he was involved in when he was a potential Chosen for Richard Drakh. After several attempts which also injure a Keeper, Alex takes drastic action. As this involves Deleo and Cinder, it is drastic. You get more background on the two potential chosen ho have died, Shireen and Tobruk and what Rachel did to become Deleo.

You need to have read other books in the series in order to appreciate this one. If you have then this is very good.

Currently reading some old "Sword and Sorcery" "Elak Of Atlantis" by Henry Kuttner and enjoying it.  On another note any "Batman" fans out here may be interested in another book that I purchased recently; "Batman's Arsenal" by Matt McNab a large book (large format as well as 456 pages) detailing the various devices used by Batman from the comics, the movies (including the 1943 batman serial). and TV (including the various animated shows) (Opus trade paperback,2016, $U S 32.95).

Hidden by Benedict Jacka.

When Anne Walker is kidnapped from her new home, Alex Verus tries to find her although she does not want to see him after the events of the previous book. Alex runs up against a gathering of Dark Mages and the apprentices of Anne's former master, the mage Sagash. This book is best read as part of the series rather than a stand alone.

Hidden by Benedict Jacka.

When Anne Walker is kidnapped from her new home, Alex Verus tries to find her although she does not want to see him after the events of the previous book. Alex runs up against a gathering of Dark Mages and the apprentices of Anne's former master, the mage Sagash. This book is best read as part of the series rather than a stand alone.

I agree. The series is good. In a lot of ways, reminds me of Dresden Files, but perhaps pushing having to do bad things more then Dresden's does. I like Alex's power set and the limitations therein.

And as I had a train journey yesterday I started and finished Veiled by Benedict Jacka. Alex Verus goes to work for the Keepers in a rather unofficial way due to some people's dislike for his past. And when he goes out on a solo job things get serious in a hurry. Following his thought processes you get to see who the villains are and just what they are up to. It is low powered (compared to Dresden) but you do get some serious firepower from the Keepers.

• 2 weeks later...

The Maker of Universes by Philip Jose Farmer. 3½ stars

Fun pulpy stuff.  I read it back in high school, but it was nice to revisit after so many years.  He spends a bit too much time explaining things as if there are critics standing around shouting "but how does..." but it still is breezy and entertaining.  Farmer is very creative and he spins a fun yarn with lots of unexpected new ideas and twists.

Demonsouled and Soul of Tyrants by Jonathan Moeller

I rarely read novels these days. It is rare that I set aside the time to read when there are so many other distractions and responsibilities to deal with. I've been feeling the itch to read again and wondered if I could make myself do so. That said, I found a couple of collections of the first three books in the Demonsouled and Frostborn trilogies by Jonathan Moeller for $0.99 each on Amazon. In light of my recent reluctance to read, it seemed that $1.98 was a small risk for the possibility of some entertaining stories. It was a good risk; one that paid off. First of all, these stories are not masterworks of literary art. I would go so far as to say that they are to literature what "popcorn movies" are to cinema. Being as I like a good "popcorn movie," these are right up my alley.

Demonsouled follows the exploits of a knight errant that has been away from home for a decade and a half. When he returns home, action, adventure, intrigue and conspiracy occur. I don't really like to spoil the plot in any details, so that is about as far as I will describe it. The setting and tone of the books is very familiar to anybody who has ever played in a D&D fantasy game. Some of the items, spells and monsters are nothing more than D&Disms with the serial numbers filed off. Still the author does not rely too much upon the D&D gimmick to tell his story. Some of the characters are pretty well defined and some are little more than stereotypes.  The main character's best friend and traveling companion is barely defined beyond being a pious knight, for instance.

The Good

• The stories are an entertaining read.
  • There does not seem to be the almost obligatory rape scene that seems to permeate modern fantasy.
  • The stories are a little lightweight, making them easy to get through in a single afternoon.

The Bad

• The main character of Demonsouled is somewhat of a Marty Stu character. It is most distracting during the non-critical encounters where hyper competency abounds.
  • The first book started with a little awkward prose. It gets better. In fact, the overall quality of writing is better in Soul of Tyrants.
  • Some of the names are kind of silly.
  • Strangely, some of the main characters are little more than stereotypes with little detail to flesh them out. 

The Other

• If I were to guess, Mr. Moeller is a gamer. One of the main bad guy factions are essentially Yuan-Ti (D&D). A lot of the spells sound like D&D spells.
  • The writing is pretty terse. That may be an attraction for some and not for others. I actually miss Robert Jordan's "capsule biographies" for secondary or even tertiary characters. The lack of those details are not damaging to the story, as the setting and tone are very familiar to anybody who has played in a D&D-like setting before. Despite the naming convention, the hints at previous history do make me want to know more about the world.

Conclusion: As a (re)entry into the novel reading hobby, these are ideal vehicles. I was able to easily relax into the setting and get comfortable with the characters and plot. The story does have its fair share of tropes and cliche' but I see potential for improvement. I am looking forward to reading the third book from the omnibus and will probably buy the rest of the books to fill out the story.

Final Scores:

3.00/5 Demonsouled

3.50/5 Soul of Tyrants

Currently reading "Wearing The Cape" by Marion G Harmon. Interesting take on the superhero idea. A young woman reveals that she has super powers (strength and flight so far) and is inducted into the city's premier super team. Ilike it so far as it touches on aspects of the Superhero lifestyle frequently glossed over in comics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished D. Rus' AlterWorld and The Clan. I bought them both on the strength of the reviews and most regret that the return time expired before I had begun the second. I will not read the next. I left 1-star reviews on Amazon for the interested. To put it simply: there is no struggle in the books. The Main Character gets things handed to him and just ascends through the ranks. His love interest has more struggles than he does. I did read the Look Inside of book 3 because book 2 ended in a cliffhanged. Knowing that Rus will not leave Max in danger, I estimated resolution quickly. I was right!

On the other hand, One Bright Star to Guide Them rocked!

I've just become aware of these.  Polished prose it's not, but in all fairness I'm pretty sure I'm reading it in translation.  The worldbuilding is good, and the premise would appeal to most gamers.  Yes, the protagonist is a bit of a Marty Stu,lucky beyond belief 'cause god loves him best [spioiler] (literally, as it turns out)

,  But there was just a sense of fun I haven't seen in new stuff for a while. I binged on the first four and now am looking forward to the other three.

Not sure anyone mentioned these before, but they are very good:

By Richard Roberts

Don't tell my parents I'm a Supervillian -Middle Schooler daughter of 2 superheroes powers (Mad Science) begin to show up, due to circumstances, she and her 2 friends become supervillians.

Don't tell my parents I blew up the Moon - Penelope Ack, Reviled and E-Claire head into space. Sort of feels like should be a third or fourth book, but still fun.

Don't tell my parents I have Minions - The further adventures of the Inscrutable Machine as everyone with powers in her middleschool finally begin showing them.

by Seanan Maguire

Encryptid series - 4-5 novels, a lot of short stories and novellettes (I recommend checking them out for free on her site). Modern day family who protect humans and the various magical life from each other.

October Day series - Starts with Rosemary and Rue - October - a half fay having to help fay and humans both to coexist. Well done series.

Velveteen vs. - Former child superhero and her battles against the most evil force on the planet - marketing. Started as a series of online stories and now put into books.

Kevin Hearne

Iron Druid series - 2000 year old druid and his dog (dog is great) and their battles with gods and other folk.

• 1 month later...

Read For a Few Souls More by Adams. After two books following a cast of characters to their destination of Wormwood and the afterlife, that cast is replaced for the most part with new characters as the trilogy  ends with Lucifer as the president a few years after the event and Patrick Irish becoming a prime agent in changing the world having taken up the role filled by Alonzo as the master of heaven.

CES 

• 2 weeks later...

Alone - Jonathon Crane

The first story from the Girl in the Box series. Better than some of his other work, it was a solid piece of workmanship. My only real complaint is really a spoiler and mostly a matter of taste. I am quasi-enthusiastic about reading the rest of the series.

Manifold: Space, by Stephen Baxter. The Manifold books (Time, Space, and Origin) are all variants of a theme -- each book deals with different solution to the Fermi Paradox. They share some dramatis personae, like the protagonist Reid Malenfant and his wife Jenny, but the books does not have to be read in any particular order.

Anyhoo, Space starts with the first discovery of aliens, and that right here, un our own solar system's asteroid belt. Soon after, signs of life shows up from all across the sky, and the question is: Why Now?

It is a fascinating read in the great tradition of Sense-Of-Wonder sci-fi, but I do get the feeling that Baxter doesn't think all that highly of Humanity.