What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

This is a note for all Borrible fans everywhere - and, if any of you have managed to nick a laptop, to all Borribles too.

For some reason or another, possibly because of the anti-authoritarian, non-conforming message of the books, they have never been a huge commercial success.

I want to change this. Despite the books' lack of success, I somehow keep bumping into people who know, and love, all three Borrible novels. I know there is a fan base out there that could give these books the recognition they deserve, and I believe that if this fanbase could be reached through word of mouth then this recognition would follow.

But for this word of mouth to work, we need a lot of mouths. That can mean you, if you would like it to. If you are interested in trying to give the Borribles the success they deserve - in terms of recognition more than anything else; money just ain't Borrible - then please get in touch with me:

notknocker@hotmail.co.uk - please note that this _is_ at hotmail.co.uk, and _not_ at hotmail.com.

I would like to hear your ideas as to how you think you can help. I don't want you to sell anything, or buy anything (again, it just ain't Borrible); but I do want recognition for the books. Whatever the idea is, please do it, but also please let me know, so I can pass it on to other people to use. The reverse applies: if you would like some ideas as to how you can help, please get in touch.

Thank you all. If we don't speak again, to paraphrase another proverb, have a good life.

Not Knocker.

notknocker@hotmail.co.uk

Grass for His Pillow by Liam Hearn. A Japanese style culture where a young boy escapes the massacre of his village and is adopted by a Lord. The plot moves in traditional Japanese style. This is supposed to be more of a kids book but I liked it. 8 out of 10.

The Soulforge and Brothers in Arms, both by Margaret Weis, the prequels to the Dragonlance Chronicles. Raistlin was always my favorite of the Heroes of the Lance.

9/10 on both books (she ain't getting 10's until the third book is out)...

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Just reread the Belgariad after about twenty years. Starting on the Mallorean. One thing I couldn't escape noticing is that Robert Jordan borrows freely from these for his Wheel of Time series. I am somewhat more fond of Jordan's fleshing the world out style than I am of Eddings, but I like Belgarion a lot more than Rand. He doesn't whine nearly as much.

I believe the Belgariad is a practical mans alternative to Wheel of Time. The plot is a little less complex than WoT, but somehow just as satisfying. The characters are just as rich (and borrowed extensively from for WoT). I like the fact that little character details are revealed as the story develops. Very subtle. There is also a great deal of humor written into the interaction of the main characters. Something that I'd almost forgotten existed in books. (Of course, I just tried to read Game of Thrones and had to set the second book down after being thoroughly disgusted by it.)

Where the Belgariad/Mallorean falls flat, is the bad guys. All of them are evil through and through. Instead of being written as characters in their own right, they seem to be cardboard cutouts or plot devices. Of course, I like a complex story where even the antagonists have some sort of redeeming quality about them.

Overall, I would say that the Belgariad is a very fun and easy read. 4/5

"Night Watch" by Terry Pratchett.

Another installment in the Discworld series, centered around Commander Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch. A bit of accidental time-travel has potentially huge consequences. I hugely enjoyed the glimpse into the past and the explanation of how some of the regular gang got their start. Some more serious scenes than most of the Discworld books contain, but plenty of humor and the usual host of bad puns.

"Virtual Light" by William Gibson

As was said a few pages back, it's the Gibson-ian idea of bringing completely unrelated characters together in what are pretty far-fetched plots. Lots of sizzle, but not much steak to this one. By and large, it's good mood music for cyberpunk/shadowrun inspiration, but not a whole lot more.

Currently re-reading "Desparation" by Stephen King. I'll hold comment for a few more days until I've finished it again... and may re-read the (sort of) companion book, "The Regulators" by (King, writing as) Richard Bachman as well.

"Virtual Light" by William Gibson

As was said a few pages back, it's the Gibson-ian idea of bringing completely unrelated characters together in what are pretty far-fetched plots. Lots of sizzle, but not much steak to this one. By and large, it's good mood music for cyberpunk/shadowrun inspiration, but not a whole lot more.

VIRTUAL LIGHT works a lot better if you read the whole trilogy. Then you realize it is just there to set up an even larger plot.

Then again, there's not many sci-fi/fantasy books out there that Slim has NOT read. I should know. He can quote almost every book he owns, and usually does. :D

Oh, you know I still love you, Slim... besides, just because you're married to my best friend doesn't mean I can't still give you a hard time.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reading The Coming of Conan, with the Solomon Kane and Bloody Crown of Conan books waiting in the wings (should plough through those during my Christmas vacation). The more I read the "unadulterated" Conan stories, the more impressed I am with Howard's ability to write an exciting, interesting tale. The hack jobs some later writers have done (and I usually love L. Sprague de Camp's works) really didn't do him justice, nor did Ah-nold.

Now I've a hankering to stat out Conan. I wonder how he'd match up to Mike Surbrook's version...

Now I've a hankering to stat out Conan. I wonder how he'd match up to Mike Surbrook's version...

Mike's version is getting junked once I get the third Conan book and am able to do him over from scratch. I also want to do Beleit ("Queen of the Black Coast") and Valeria ("Red Nails"). Not to mention Howard's Bran Mac Morn.

VIRTUAL LIGHT works a lot better if you read the whole trilogy. Then you realize it is just there to set up an even larger plot.

No Gibson book has ever lived up to Neuromancer. The guy pretty much outdid himself with that first book and every book since then has been slightly disappointing as a result.

I didn't care for Virtual Light so much because it didn't have the depth or atmosphere that the first trilogy did. The setting and tone are what made those books so exceptional.

I also want to do Beleit ("Queen of the Black Coast") and Valeria ("Red Nails"). Not to mention Howard's Bran Mac Morn.

Those'd be cool too. I've been toying with the idea to stat out Thoth-Amon as well, assuming he shows up enough. At the very least, I'd like to stat out the powers he uses in the stories.

Did you get the Wandering Star Collector's Editions? The price was extremely steep, but if I'd noticed them before they sold out the Leather Editions, I'd have been sorely tempted. No, better to buy the cheap but excellently illustrated paperbacks...

No Gibson book has ever lived up to Neuromancer.

I actually also liked Count Zero and Burning Chrome (especially the short story where he comes up with a rationale for the high tech in his future setting). But my favorite Gibson book is probably The Difference Engine.

Wind Rider's Oath by David Weber. It's the third book in the saga of Bazhell Banakson, Horse Stealer Hradani and Champion of Tomanak. Tight up there with the other two. It's been a long wait since the second book, but it's been worth it. I'd give it a solid 3.5 out of 5, maybe even a 3.75. Now if George R.R, Martin would just publish, I'd be happy.

I just flew out to Cali for the holidays, and took CJ Cherryh's "The Morgaine Saga" (originally released as a trilogy) for reading purposes on the plane. It's one of my favorites... I've read it probably fifteen times or so since 1985.

Her works just blows me away... she has influenced my own writing far and above any other fictional author. CJ can deliver more impact in a paragraph or two of subtle dialogue than some authors can in eight chapters of bombast. Also, she can do both Sci Fi & Fantasy with roughly equal skill. Sweet lady, too. Will answer fan's questions through her web site. (http://www.cherryh.com)

To "Al-Hazred" I haven't read enough "Conan" to tell whether the later versions are "hack jobs" or not. I normally love De Camp's work and I should think that , provided he could keep his tongue out of his cheek for the duration of the book, he would do a good job on "Conan". I very much enjoyed his "Unbeheaded King" books. I am currently waiting for a copy of "Black Vulmea's Vengence" to swim its way across the Pacific to me. I have a sequel by another writer "Black Vulmea :Witch of the Indies" somewhere around but can't lay my hand on it at this particular moment.

I forgot to mention I am currently reading "Confederacy Of The Dead" edited by Richard Gilliam, Martin H Greenberg and Edward E Kramer. Modern (early '90's) horror stories with an American Civil War theme. My favorite story so far has ben "Beast" by George Alec Effinger, featuring an interesting take on General Benjamin Butler.

Didn't care for it' date=' not because it was terribly uneven but because it had no discernible plot. Plenty of atmosphere though.[/quote']

And an ending that made no sense to me at all....

The 4 volume Parsina Saga by Stephen Goldin. Nice to see an epic series that doesn't draw on Tolkien

The two translated Slayers novels: 'The Ruby Eye' & 'The Sorcerer of Atlas'

Nice quick reads. Throwbacks to better days of writing.(IMPO the books of today are far to wordy)

Didn't care for it' date=' not because it was terribly uneven but because it had no discernible plot. Plenty of atmosphere though.[/quote']

That was exactly my sentiment. I loved the setting both in terms of the the time (late 1800s) and subtle changes in reality, but like Old Man, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the point of the story was. Glad I didn't miss anything. :winkgrin:

Currently re-reading "Desparation" by Stephen King. I'll hold comment for a few more days until I've finished it again... and may re-read the (sort of) companion book, "The Regulators" by (King, writing as) Richard Bachman as well.

Just finished these two recently. Yumpin' yiminy is King's head a creepy place. Some of it was great, some of it was good, a little of it was terrible. Bachman is the name King uses when he writes things that are too nasty for him to be comfortable writing about, I think.

And an ending that made no sense to me at all....

That was exactly my sentiment.

I quite agree. I love style over substance. I kind of thought that was the point... :D

Actually, I thought it had to do with the Transhuman Singularity theory.

Is anyone else here a Sterling Lanier fan? I really enjoyed (in a completely RPGesque way) his Hiero series (Hiero's Journey, and The Unforsaken Hiero), and was unhappy when I realized the third in the series would never come out.

• 1 month later...

Just finished the Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson. This is an alternate history which uses as its jump off that the Europeans are wiped out by the black death in the 14th Century. How then does civilisation progress ?

It is thus India, China, Japan and Islam which shape the world. Some things are different. Some the same. Really great read as it looks into Chinese Religious Beliefs, Islam and Buddhism.

And as most alternate history stuff is either short story or the War Between the States a really refreshing change.