What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Owen is my least favorite character in the whole series. He is very obviously an author insertion character. Besides that he has the whole "rebel without a clue" and "loudmouth so Conservative that he

I recently finished Working for Bigfoot by Jim Butcher. It's a collection of Dresden shorts. The tone in these tends to be on the lighter side, and the stories seem relegated to the sidelines of the D

Peace Talks, Book 16 of the Dresden Files dropped on Tuesday.   This has all the old favorites( with one exception) This book is basically a caper book set amidst family drama and some info

• 3 weeks later...

The Crippled God by Steven Erikson. The Bonehunter army has been maimed by a battle and comes back together again to cross a desert while their allies travel towards a spire where some of their enemies await.

This is the last book of the Malazan book of the Fallen. If you have been with it from the beginning Gardens of the Moon then this is the climax. The series had everything marines (or soldiers), dragons, shape shifting beings, various humanoid types, gods, magic, explosives and undead. I enjoyed the series and loved this last book.

Knife of Dreams, the 11th book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I'm in the home stretch of my series reread and taking a three day break. The reread has made my opinion of many of the books so far and what I liked or disliked about characters and arcs.

The first six books are still awesome, really taking off in book 2 and not slowing from there.

Books seven thru nine are still good, just a comedown from the previous.

Books ten and eleven are still the low point of the series  mainly because they take so many side trips, though Mat's story is very good.

The later books are better because I didn't have to wait for them to be published. There's no letdown from anticipation.

Rand and Mat's stories are top notch and i like Egwene and Elayne"s narratives. Perrin's was always weak in my mind but I now realize I was blaming the wrong narrative. Perrin's is great, Faile's stories just don't fly well. Of all the female leads, she is the greatest drag on the story, functioning mainly as a sidekick at best and too often a damsel to be rescued.

I also get a better feel for what Jordan was trying to do. The series works best  if you see each set of three books as a trilogy connected to the others. Each starts over building new parts of the overall world and builds to climaxes in each: The fight for Callandor in the Stone, Dumai Wells, the cleansing of Saidin and Rand's reconciliation with himself all bring these trilogies to a finish and the final two books wrap it all up.

Three books to go and then the wait for the series on Amazon starts.

Also Butcher just sent Peace Talks to his beta readers, do that may hit by year's end.

6 hours ago, death tribble said:

The Crippled God by Steven Erikson. The Bonehunter army has been maimed by a battle and comes back together again to cross a desert while their allies travel towards a spire where some of their enemies await.

This is the last book of the Malazan book of the Fallen. If you have been with it from the beginning Gardens of the Moon then this is the climax. The series had everything marines (or soldiers), dragons, shape shifting beings, various humanoid types, gods, magic, explosives and undead. I enjoyed the series and loved this last book.

The Crippled God is out?  I missed that.

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

Start with Gardens of the Moon and Deadhouse Gates. If you don't like these two which are the start of the series, you won't like it at all.

I found Gardens to be a slow grind, but the series picked up and flew with Deadhouse.

Read The Sixteenth Way to Defend a Castle by Parker. The hero, a member of the minority, is a colonel in a division of engineers. He has to hold the capital city from the enemy. He does this by building catapults on the walls, forging coins for money, and making the local underworld part of his army.

CES   

• 4 weeks later...

Read To Clear Away Shadows by Drake. This is the second book set in the RCN where Leary and Mundy aren't the main characters. Harry Harper is asked to join the Far Traveler as a biologist. This leads to finds from humanity's predecessors among the stars. It's told in both third and first person for some reason.

The Adventure Zone:Murder on the Rockport Express. A group of D&D adventurers have to figure out why their conductor was beheaded and behanded before their train reaches the destination. A pretty good graphic novel.

CES

3 hours ago, Twilight said:

Escape to Witch Mountain by Alexander Key.  Surprisingly the Disney adaption was pretty faithful to the book in many ways with the big changes being the addition of the flying car scene at the end of the movie and the addition of Aristotle Bolt.  If you can track down a copy I highly recommend it.

It's available on ebook from my local library, and might be in other library districts as well.

Finished my Wheel of Time reread and have a few thoughts.

Books 3-6 are still the best of the series but the book 14 finale was almost as good and had some really high points.

The middle books, 7-11, aren't nearly as bad when you don't have to wait years for the next. Book 11, the last by Jordan himself, is still pretty weak.

All the Faile narratives are pretty much fails. Likable character but a drag on the story.

If you have it and didn't hate it then a reread will probably be a good experience.

Dennis L McKiernan's "The Eye of the Hunter"

Been reading several of his books, started with the Iron tower trilogy; He has a somewhat different take on Fantasy races, elves, dwarves and Warrows (his version of halflings)  Each have some unique abilities to them.

Over all I enjoyed the story but was disappointed when one of the main characters dies, but I enjoyed the ending.

On 9/3/2019 at 10:49 AM, slikmar said:

I enjoyed the entire series from Mithgar. He blatantly states the the Iron Tower is an homage to Lord of the Rings. But I liked how, if you read the entire Mithgar series of books, how things come around at the end that were setup in earlier books.

I've read the Iron Tower and the Silver Horn books, but never realized he had written so many additional books.  I'll need to get a chronological list and start again.

(Might help if I put this in the RIGHT thread, sorry about that)

The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent by Larry Correia is a short hilarious over the top Audio book. leans heavy on some political leanings (Some of which I share, many of which I don't) but mostly it's cheesy fun based on the premise of whole worlds being insured. Who you going to call? Tom Stranger, of course. Nazi Dinosaurs , Chuck Norris' beard! 

Narrated by President Space Cowboy Adam Baldwin

The first two books of The Themis Files, Sleeping Giants and Waking Gods, by one Sylvain Neuvel. It's contemporary sci-fi on the softer side of the Mohs Scale. The writing is in the found-footage style, to use a cinema trope; it's all transcripts of audio files. Almost, but nor quite, like the documentary interviews of Maz Brooks' World War Z. It starts with a flashback, a girl who just turned eleven takes her birthday bike out for a spin as night falls. She gets distracted by a light in the woods, and falls down a very big hole that wasn't there yesterday. What they find at the bottom of the hole "changes everything", as such finds are wont to do. When she's grown up into a physicist, she leads the search for more finds ...

On the whole, I'd give these two books a strong two out of five. There's a third book in the series -- Being Human -- but I felt no urgent need to start on it after I finished the first two, and I bought all three at once. That sums up my feelings on these books rather well.

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie.  Seems to have become a staple in the modern fantasy landscape, and I can see why: tight writing, packed action, and brilliant dialogue.  The writing is so cinematic it's shocking that it hasn't been picked up by Netflix or HBO yet.  It's pretty gritty, which I understand is not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.

On 9/9/2019 at 1:20 PM, Old Man said:

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie.  Seems to have become a staple in the modern fantasy landscape, and I can see why: tight writing, packed action, and brilliant dialogue.  The writing is so cinematic it's shocking that it hasn't been picked up by Netflix or HBO yet.  It's pretty gritty, which I understand is not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.

I'll have to check it out, I read a lot of scifi and fantasy and I think I have seen the name Abercrombie but I have never read one of his books.  I'm thinking I may have seen the name in passing while browsing for new reads.  What kind of storyline?

• 1 month later...