What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

On 1/31/2020 at 9:21 AM, death tribble said:

The Shadow of Saganami by David Weber.

This is an Honorverse book. That means it does not feature Honor Harrington as the main character. Instead it looks at different characters in the meta plot about the evil machinations of the Mesa system and the Manpower corporation. The executives of Manpower are trying to overturn a vote in a system where the inhabitants want to be incorporated in the Star Kingdom of Manticore. One of the planets has a set of terrorists who engage in a violent struggle while another planet has a group who engage in economic warfare. In the background another system is refitting warships to come into the area and take it over on Manpower's behalf. The crew of a new battlecruiser must work out whatv is happening and how to stop it.

If you like David Weber's Honor Harrington, you should like this. I did. 

I read the first 3 books, but as soon as Honor gets a boyfriend, I lost interest in the story.  I wanted more detailed space combat than kissy face time I guess.

56 minutes ago, Mightybec said:

I read the first 3 books, but as soon as Honor gets a boyfriend, I lost interest in the story.  I wanted more detailed space combat than kissy face time I guess.

Honor does very little kissy-face time until much later in the series. The space combat is the main story alongside some character development and bad guys getting what they deserve.

9 hours ago, Mightybec said:

8 hours ago, Grailknight said:

Honor does very little kissy-face time until much later in the series. The space combat is the main story alongside some character development and bad guys getting what they deserve.

No spoiler, but anything resembling kissy-face is very short term. 

• 1 month later...

Shadow of Freedom by David Weber.

Should have read A Rising Thunder first. Oh well. Michelle Henke continues her work as an admiral. And you have more of Mesa working in the background and recovering from their own problems. Which means I need to get Crown of Slaves etc. You get resistance movements elsewhere working against the transtellars and a sterling example of what happens when you push too hard. Weber also puts in a quote from Terekhov when he posits the thought Why don't people like you, think I cannot be as as ruthless as you ?' It's enjoyable. Short but sweet.

• 1 month later...

The Soprano Sorceress by L E Modesitt Jnr

A woman is transported to a new world where songs can create magical effects. She must fight for her place in this new world and to defeat an evil from another neighbouring country,

It could be a little too simple at times and a little bit blunt on the brutality but it worked.

Been listening to Michael J Sullivan's Ryria Revelations. Finished first big book, Theft of Swords. Liked it enough that I basically went and picked up a few short stories and the prequels (written after but take place before) of the same characters. The main 2 are Hadrian Blackwater and Royce Melborn. A couple Thieves for higher (well, Royce is a thief, Hadrian is a master swordsman) known for doing the impossible. The humor is very good, and mostly sarcasm, but the stories are serious and they are very much in the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser vein. I recommend them and if you do audio books, the reader (Tim Gerrard Reynolds) is very good and I enjoy his characterizations.

On 5/30/2020 at 4:06 PM, death tribble said:

Shadow of Freedom by David Weber.

Should have read A Rising Thunder first. Oh well. Michelle Henke continues her work as an admiral. And you have more of Mesa working in the background and recovering from their own problems. Which means I need to get Crown of Slaves etc. You get resistance movements elsewhere working against the transtellars and a sterling example of what happens when you push too hard. Weber also puts in a quote from Terekhov when he posits the thought Why don't people like you, think I cannot be as as ruthless as you ?' It's enjoyable. Short but sweet.

I've read all of Weber's Honorverse books plus the anthologies.  There are a few stories I have missed, individual stories in various scifi collections I haven't read.  But of all the books the Crown of Slaves series was meh and I kind of ground my way through it out of stubbornness.  It just didn't have that zing that Weber's books normally have for me.    Another series you may like is Weber's Safehold series.

Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames

Loads of fun. A bunch of D&D style adventurers need to "get the band back together". Yes they lean hard on that word. All groups of adventurers and mercenaries refer to themselves as bands, and they even have band names ("Lady Jane and the Silk Arrows", "Saga", "The Screaming Eagles"). Oh, and the best bands get touring buses ( massive eight wheel carriages).

But this one had a good mixture of comedy and action. I'd been wanting a book that featured heroes over 35, because there just aren't enough of them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Peace Talks, Book 16 of the Dresden Files dropped on Tuesday.

This has all the old favorites( with one exception) This book is basically a caper book set amidst family drama and some info reveals. While it is complete in itself, the fact that it an the next book, Battle Ground were planned as one book that grew too large is obvious.

Alliances will shift. Death flags will fly. Dresden will actually begin to(gasp) fight smarter. A major side villain will show a very human and vulnerable side.

The Last Titan is coming and she intends to knock humanity back to the Stone Age starting in Chicago.

9 hours ago, Sociotard said:

Just finished it. I was a little annoyed that

Hide contents

I assume the Black Council is behind the police investigation, but are they also in on the Fomor and Outsiders alliance?
Did Marcone arrange to have the attack at his place, to gather more power?

Can Grey shapeshift into a Titan?

What I don't get is the Fomor?. Yeah they think they have their goddess leading them, but if this doesn't work out perfectly Mab and and every other supernatural nation are gonna get together and hold a fish-fry on a global scale. Mortals may seem weak, but we've traded the torches and pitchforks for 50-cals and fuel air bombs. We'd just need some guides to put a couple dozen nuclear torpedoes in their "secure underwater lairs" and show them what humanity can and will do once mobilized. The other powers know this and stick to the shadows. Guess they need an introduction to the modern world.. Unfortunately it will take millions dead, to get us going but they are planning that as their kickoff intro.

On 6/30/2020 at 10:37 PM, slikmar said:

Been listening to Michael J Sullivan's Ryria Revelations. Finished first big book, Theft of Swords. Liked it enough that I basically went and picked up a few short stories and the prequels (written after but take place before) of the same characters. The main 2 are Hadrian Blackwater and Royce Melborn. A couple Thieves for higher (well, Royce is a thief, Hadrian is a master swordsman) known for doing the impossible. The humor is very good, and mostly sarcasm, but the stories are serious and they are very much in the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser vein. I recommend them and if you do audio books, the reader (Tim Gerrard Reynolds) is very good and I enjoy his characterizations.

I'm on the book The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter and enjoying it a great deal even though it , so far, has fewer sword fights for Hadrian than some. Ryria have become one of my favorite fantasy buddy team ups of all time. 

18 hours ago, Hermit said:

I'm on the book The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter and enjoying it a great deal even though it , so far, has fewer sword fights for Hadrian than some. Ryria have become one of my favorite fantasy buddy team ups of all time. 

I am most the way through Emerald Storm. And agreed. I am looking forward to the last pair and then working my way through the prequels.

• 2 weeks later...

reading has become physically painful as my eyes get worse, so I m grateful for Librivox free audiobooks of public domain literature. This gave me a chance finally to finish William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land: A seminal work, but dear gods Hodgson's pseudo archaic language is thick... and long-sinded.

The Night Land fully deserves its reputation as a tour de force of world-building. With some tweaking, it could also make a stunning game setting. Hodgson's portrayal of an inconceivably far future Earth in which the sun has gone out and the last of humanity lives in a miles-high Great Redoubt besieged by monsters is fantastic, in every sense. The protagonist's quest fo find a Lesser Redoubt is suitably harrowing. (And bonus points for the number of times he tries to be smart and avoid the monsters.)

But the book is marred by lengthy digressions in which the narrator-protagonist tells about the Night Land or the Great Redoubt, speculates about the information, and spends whole paragraphs explaining why he's telling us about his speculations, and why he's telling us why he's telling us. Background information and guesses what it means, fine. The rest is waste verbiage. A little editiong could have reduced the book by, at least 10% with no loss of content.

There is also a lengthy sequence in the latter half of the book in which gender attitudes are expressed that many people would now consider, hm, toxic? And, unfortunately, in which nothing much actually happens.

The framing narrative of reincarnation used to set up the story also struck ne as a bit clumsy. Fortunately, it's just one chapter at the beginning.

Still, despite these flaws The Night Land deserves its status as a classic. A lot of fantasy and SF traces back to The Night Land, and it's well worth going back to the source for your own inspiration.

Dean Shomshak

A Rising Thunder by David Weber

The Solarian fleet runs right in Admiral Harrington. Oh dear. And now Haven and Manticore are united. Beowulf are on the Verge (get it ? No ? Please yourself) of leaving the League. And now the Solarians know they cannot beat Manticore in a stand up fight so what happens next will be interesting. I lied it. Shadow of Victory will follow in September after I have read another book.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished reading Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. I've read two of her other books, Austenland and Midnight in Austenland, but this is her first fantasy work that I've read.

Miri is a 14 year old girl in a mountain village where everyone (but her) works in the local quarry. One day a delegation from the King arrives and tells them that the King's priest have revealed that the Crown Prince will choose his wife from the girls in the village. So all the girls from the ages of 12 to 17 are taken from the town to attend a finishing school, the Princess Academy of the title. The book recounts her experiences of the next year or so as she contends with 19 other girls, and unnecessarily strict headmistress/tutor, and her own feelings of inadequacy as they prepare for a ball where the prince will choose one of them to marry.

I thought it was a really great read. Shannon Hale has a way of writing that draws you in and makes you feel comfortable in her world. Her prose is simple and descriptive and she does a great job of letting you inside the minds and hearts of her characters. Mary's character development from an insecure outcast to a confident leader is well plotted and well-executed.  and there is a small twist at the end that you could probably see coming if you were paying attention better than I did.

Highly recommended. I already have the other two books in the series in my Amazon cart.

I have a question for you guys. Has anyone read the new Rachel Morgan book by Kim Harrison. The original series was fantastic and seemed to end perfectly or close to it. One of my friends has started it and said he wasn't happy, so curious if any other followers of the series have read it?

As to the thread. Finished Peace Talks and dammit, next month can't come soon enough.

• 2 weeks later...