What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

I've started reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn: The Final Empire and it's... eh. Worldbuilding and magic seem intriguing and original, but characterization seems tepid and the dialogue and prose seem off in a way I can't put my finger on. It's also clear that as the first volume in a trilogy of fat books, the plot is going to take its own sweet time to develop.

So I ask those who've read it already: Did the plot turn out to be worth the page count? (Not asking for spoilers! ) Do the characters develop in interesting ways? How would you rate the dialogue?

Given that reading is now physically painful for me, I am charier of long books. (And no, I can't get it as an audiobook.)

Dean Shomshak

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read this one yet, because I just heard about it yesterday on All Things Considered, but it sounds interesting.

Rebecca Roanhorse, Black Sun. First volume in a planned trilogy. Roanhorse said she's been a big fan of epic fantasy for a long time, but irked that it all seemed to be based on European myth and legend. As a Native American, she wanted to see something based on New World cultures. So she wrote it herself. Black Sun, she says, is not based on any specific Native American culture -- she mentioned cultures ranging from Chaco Canyon to the Incas as inspirations -- plus a lot of her own imagination. I'm sold already, just because it isn't Yet Another Tolkien Rip-Off.

I don't know when I'll be able to read this, so I'll keep an eye on this thread in case anyone else reads and reviews it.

Dean Shomshak

• 1 month later...

Uncompromising Honor by David Weber.

I had a project this year to read through the rest of the main Honor Harrington series and this finished it off. I read all the Shadows series which accompanies it. As Mr Weber says in the postscript Honor is now in retirement but there are still loose threads. And one thing that you are left with is that the Alignment has got a reckoning coming. The war with the Solarian Navy is brought to a sudden but satisfactory close and you also have members of the Solarian military who are smart and work out they have been played and start to do something about it. If you have followed the rest of the series, this caps it off. For now.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the series.

13 hours ago, death tribble said:

Uncompromising Honor by David Weber.

I had a project this year to read through the rest of the main Honor Harrington series and this finished it off. I read all the Shadows series which accompanies it. As Mr Weber says in the postscript Honor is now in retirement but there are still loose threads. And one thing that you are left with is that the Alignment has got a reckoning coming. The war with the Solarian Navy is brought to a sudden but satisfactory close and you also have members of the Solarian military who are smart and work out they have been played and start to do something about it. If you have followed the rest of the series, this caps it off. For now.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the series.

The Manticore Ascendant series is pretty good too. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/11/2014 at 4:13 PM, Spence said:

H.E.R.O. - Nightmonger

This makes Kevin Rau's 12th book in the primary storyline. He has two shorter ones that cover side stories.  He started as self published and his writing is getting better.  But the setting and story are well thought out and one of the very few Supers series/book out there that are actually about superHERO's.  You may have to put up with some grammar and dialog issues, but on the whole this is a solid story.

Thank you for this recommendation!  The first e-book in this series is FREE!

3 hours ago, Bozimus said:

Thank you for this recommendation!  The first e-book in this series is FREE!

Holy Abyss !

A Bozimus sighting !

Yes, Victoria, there is a Santa Claus !

The Eyes of God by John Marco

I have had this book for years but not read it. I have now and what a waste of time and disappointment it was. Supposedly the first in a quarter I can happily leave the rest as this was not engrossing at all.

The new king wants peace and comes to a neighbouring kingdom that he has been at war with to make peace. In return he marries one of the daughters of neighbouring king. However his champion and the soon to be queen fall in love and have an affair. Also she has a disease which is killing her. The champion has a rival in a fellow officer who tells the king of the affair only to be disbelieved. The king finds out anyway and also of the disease. So champion and rival are dispatched to find a cure before the new queen dies. They succeed but at a terrible price. The king meanwhile has problems with other realms and manages to stop a war with a surprise attack on one of these rivals which ends up with him killing the ruler.

The champion returns to the king and is banished for the affair. The queen is locked up in the castle and has blind servants as if anyone sees her she will die due to a curse on the cure. The rival gets control of the army.

Years pass. The queen does not age. The king goes mad and his major project a library is built. A servant in the library who is deformed sees the queen and speaks to her. The queen thinks the curse is a hoax. The champion is found in another kingdom working as a mercenary and he has lost an eye. He returns and is reunited with the queen who suffers the curse and dies. The Champion takes the cure back to where it came from and then has to defend it against the king and his rival. If this sounds interesting then I have failed you. 

On 8/29/2015 at 11:33 PM, bigbywolfe said:

I just listened to Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides.  Pirates, voodoo, treachery, sea battles, and puppets; what's not to love?  If you like pirate stuff or voodoo stuff, or historical fantasy in general this is worth a read.
I really do like Powers' writing style, and the reader of the audio book was superb.  I need to read more of his work, Drawing of the Dark is an old favorite and I remember really liking Anubis Gate even though I don't recall the story very well. 

I am also a fan of Tim Powers.  I have considered re-reading On Stranger Tides.  Even though it takes a little longer to get rolling than I normally like, I remember it being pretty kick-a$$ once it gets going.

Like you, I have never been able to remember The Anubis Gate storyline.  This happened (again) immediately after my most recent re-read!  I KNOW that The Anubis Gate is one of my favorite books of all time but I cannot tell you why...because I simply cannot recall any details!  Some would say this happens because I am getting older, but this has happened with this one book since the first time I read it back in the mid 1980s...  This weird amnesia does not happen to me with other books... 😕

52 minutes ago, Bozimus said:

I am also a fan of Tim Powers.  I have considered re-reading On Stranger Tides.  Even though it takes a little longer to get rolling than I normally like, I remember it being pretty kick-a$$ once it gets going.

Like you, I have never been able to remember The Anubis Gate storyline.  This happened (again) immediately after my most recent re-read!  I KNOW that The Anubis Gate is one of my favorite books of all time but I cannot tell you why...because I simply cannot recall any details!  Some would say this happens because I am getting older, but this has happened with this one book since the first time I read it back in the mid 1980s...  This weird amnesia does not happen to me with other books... 😕

The Anubis Gate is about how a rich guy finds out there are holes to send people back in time and he decides to send a team back, one of which is interested in a poet that lived back in the past. The problem is the body hopping guy who changes everyone he bodyhops into his old body. The litariticist winds up as the poet, kills the bodyhopper, and survives the loop to escape dying when the poet died.

CES  

3 hours ago, csyphrett said:

The Anubis Gate is about how a rich guy finds out there are holes to send people back in time and he decides to send a team back, one of which is interested in a poet that lived back in the past. The problem is the body hopping guy who changes everyone he bodyhops into his old body. The litariticist winds up as the poet, kills the bodyhopper, and survives the loop to escape dying when the poet died.

CES  

Thank you.  Now I know what happened.  Powers broke my brain with his convoluted plot!

I owe a big “thank you” to those of you on this forum who recommended “Fated”, first book in the “Alex Verus” series by Benedict Jacka.  I have only just started this book, but I am really enjoying it!   After scrolling through 7 years of replies to this thread, I kept seeing this “Benedict Jacka” fellow repeatedly mentioned (in an overwhelmingly positive manner).   I had to check it out for myself…and thus far, I am glad that I did!

2 hours ago, HeroGM said:

Thieve's World, edited by Robert Aspirin.

Was such a fun concept when it came one. Would have players read it and the others before we played so they could get an idea of character. 

Did you know that Thieves World was originally planed when Robert Asprin and a number of other writers (who were his friends) were drinking in the hotel bar at a Sci-Fi convention here in my home town of Boston?   It’s true, in fact they used the city map in the guests packet as the map of Sanctuary! 
    The ship docks are the wharf at Boston Harbor, the Governor’s mansion is the State House complete with gold leaf dome roof and The Maze is or was the red light district known locally as “The Combat Zone”.

2 hours ago, Bozimus said:

I owe a big “thank you” to those of you on this forum who recommended “Fated”, first book in the “Alex Verus” series by Benedict Jacka.  I have only just started this book, but I am really enjoying it!   After scrolling through 7 years of replies to this thread, I kept seeing this “Benedict Jacka” fellow repeatedly mentioned (in an overwhelmingly positive manner).   I had to check it out for myself…and thus far, I am glad that I did!

I have friends in Reading who introduced me to it and they followed the series so did I as they passed the books onto me after they had read them. They are the ones who also introduced me to Anita Blake and Dresden so I can say they have good taste.