What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Owen is my least favorite character in the whole series. He is very obviously an author insertion character. Besides that he has the whole "rebel without a clue" and "loudmouth so Conservative that he

I recently finished Working for Bigfoot by Jim Butcher. It's a collection of Dresden shorts. The tone in these tends to be on the lighter side, and the stories seem relegated to the sidelines of the D

Peace Talks, Book 16 of the Dresden Files dropped on Tuesday.   This has all the old favorites( with one exception) This book is basically a caper book set amidst family drama and some info

I've started reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn: The Final Empire and it's... eh. Worldbuilding and magic seem intriguing and original, but characterization seems tepid and the dialogue and prose seem off in a way I can't put my finger on. It's also clear that as the first volume in a trilogy of fat books, the plot is going to take its own sweet time to develop.

So I ask those who've read it already: Did the plot turn out to be worth the page count? (Not asking for spoilers! ) Do the characters develop in interesting ways? How would you rate the dialogue?

Given that reading is now physically painful for me, I am charier of long books. (And no, I can't get it as an audiobook.)

Dean Shomshak

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read this one yet, because I just heard about it yesterday on All Things Considered, but it sounds interesting.

Rebecca Roanhorse, Black Sun. First volume in a planned trilogy. Roanhorse said she's been a big fan of epic fantasy for a long time, but irked that it all seemed to be based on European myth and legend. As a Native American, she wanted to see something based on New World cultures. So she wrote it herself. Black Sun, she says, is not based on any specific Native American culture -- she mentioned cultures ranging from Chaco Canyon to the Incas as inspirations -- plus a lot of her own imagination. I'm sold already, just because it isn't Yet Another Tolkien Rip-Off.

I don't know when I'll be able to read this, so I'll keep an eye on this thread in case anyone else reads and reviews it.

Dean Shomshak