What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

While they technically dont count as "fantasy", Ive just finished reading the entire Horatio Hornblower ceries by C.S.Forester (spelling may be off, but I think that's correct), and they are AWESOME! Im running a ship-based fantasy game, and those books have really set me in the mood for it!

I strongly recommend the Hornblower series to everyone who likes historical adventure that is both well researched and very, very engaging. There are -alot- of nautical terms thrown about, so either get a nautical dictionary, or just let your brain make up what certain phrases mean ;)

Id seen the Hornblower movies that Ioan Gruffud starred in, and liked them immensely. The books, if one can believe it, are even better! I borrowed them form a friend, but Im planning on acquiring the whole set as soon as I can!

Enjoy! :D

Just finished Thud!, by Terry Pratchett, and the related book, Where's My Cow?, also by Terry Pratchett. The latest in the series of books to deal with Commander Vimes, and the City Watch. Thud! deals with unrest on the Discworld concerning the ancient battle of Koom Valley, and its modern echoes in the dwarven and troll communities. As always, Pratchett echoes real-world concerns with his fantasy characters. A good read.

Where's My Cow? is a bit of a departure from the normal Discworld book. It is an illustrated children's book, which is read to Commander Vimes to his young son, Sam. The book figures prominently within the plot of Thud!, and is a delightful bit of background for Discworld. The version that we read is almost identical to the well-chewed version that Vimes pulls from a shelf in one of the illustrations, but it also includes Vimes' act of reading the book (within the book) to his child, including a wonderful take on law enforcement, as it relates to missing farm animals, and a children's view of Vimes' world as it relates to some of the more colorful figures:

Where's my daddy?

Is that my daddy?

It goes, "Bugrit!

Millennium Hand and Shrimp!"

It is Foul Ole Ron!

That's not my daddy!

[/Quote]

JoeG

I just finished Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey.

Those who read my random musing on it already have a pretty good idea of my opinion of this book. I DID like it, but if I was reading it for the sex, I would've been sorely disappointed. It was incredibly well-written, and I found myself liking all the characters, by the end. Unfortunately, it left the ending a bit open-ended, so now I have to read the other two to find out what happens to my favorite character.

Argh.

While they technically dont count as "fantasy", Ive just finished reading the entire Horatio Hornblower ceries by C.S.Forester (spelling may be off, but I think that's correct), and they are AWESOME! Im running a ship-based fantasy game, and those books have really set me in the mood for it!

I'll second that vote! I'm currently alternating between Hornblower Books and Aubrey/Maturin books by Patrick O'brian. Both are amazing, and you wanna know something weird, if you alternate them like I am, you find they're actually running almost in sync! Each book is covering the same rough point of time as it's counterpart is in the other book series!

Both series are absolutely amazing, but I describe them like this:

Hornblower is the Silver Age DC version of Napoleonic Sea War. Epic, heroic and larger than life. Hornblower is a minor god in training.

The Aubrey/Maturin saga is the Silver age Marvel version. The stories of two realistic people having amazing luck and adventures on the high seas, with just enough grit and detail to make it come alive as a real place.

Rob

Just read the Colorado Kid by Stephen King. It's mystery without a solution.

Basically these reporters tell an intern about a dead body that was found sitting next to a trash can on the beach of a Maine island.

CES

Oh, that's out now?

*haunts her local bookstore*

Ilium, by Dan Simmons

Typical of his stuff. Very well crafted, highly "literate", and amazinging dense - definitely not a "beer and pretzels" kind of read. Although not part of the Hyperion Cantos, it has very much that kind of feel.

Post humans living as Greek gods on Mars re-enacting the Illiad. Earth populated by just a few hundred thousand humans who are allowed to live exactly 100 years (and are dumber than stumps) and a couple of self aware robtos trying to make sense of all.

I'm rereading the Garrett, P.I. books by Glenn Cook, which are hard-boiled detective stories in a fantasy world. Very fun. If you can find the books used somewhere, I highly recommend them. The first book is called Sweet Silver Blues...

• 2 weeks later...

I know these aren't fantasy, or sci fi, but I am posting them anyway.

The Body of David Hayes by Ridley Pearson.

Liz Boldt had an affair with an embezzler, and now that he's out of prison, a bunch of people want the 17 million he stole from their bank. The problem is Liz's husband is Lou Boldt, a Seattle homicide lt. who will do almost anything to save her career, their marriage, and their future.

The War of the Worlds Murder by Max Allan Collins.

When a dead woman is seen in a studio control room on the eve of the War of the Worlds hoax broadcast, did Orson Welles do it.

Only Walter Gibson, the creator of the Shadow, knows.

CES

Troy' date=' by David Gemmel -- top marks![/quote']

That's good to hear, I found the last few Gemmel books to be a little on the flat side.

On a similar vein, I have just finished the second Emperor novel by Conn Igullden, very good, can't wait for the third one to come out in paperback.

The Big Book of Amber

All 10 of Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber in one big book. I finished 9 Princes in Amber and have started on The Guns of Avalon.

Sure is better than the Elric books I just finished.

The Big Book of Amber

All 10 of Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber in one big book. I finished 9 Princes in Amber and have started on The Guns of Avalon.

Sure is better than the Elric books I just finished.

Yeah. Some free advice: Read the first 5 and STOP!!! The Corwin books are great; the Merlin book are pretty lame.

Yeah. Some free advice: Read the first 5 and STOP!!! The Corwin books are great; the Merlin book are pretty lame.

I read the whole run at once point. All I can recall of the Merlin books was that Grimjack cameos in one volume.

Furies of Caleron by Jim Butcher (I think Dave Thomley mentioned it a few pages back). War between species break out, caused by a rebellion in the making. The day is saved by heroes on both sides.

Hellboy: On Earth as It is in Hell by Brian Hodge. This is a low key tale, and not the usual monster whacking that you would expect from Mike Mignola's red devil.

CES