What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Read Micah by LkH in under four hours. It is not the sex that bothered me, to be honest I saw the sexual aspects of the books coming from the first one. It is the ridiculously short length of the "novel", and utter lack of deapth in the plot that kills me. The ending is an utter and complete Deus Ex Machina for a situation, that we didn't even know existed.

The Warslayer, Rosemary Edgehill, from the Baen Free Library. Amusing and light, a quick and energetic read. The prose and style was good enough not to elicit criticism beyond the fact that it was a touch pedestrian, but then, so was the plot and the characters. I'd call it a popcorn book. Worth a read if you want some entertainment, have some hours to kill, and don't have something more promising on hand. I don't regret having read it, but it didn't raise my hopes in terms of the quality in the fantasy market these days, either.

Unfortunately the series lost me. The author's political bent comes out a little too strongly in the series. You can tell who the good guys are and who are the bad guys by what political views they have. Also the lead has too many Mary Sue tendencies for my tastes.

Honestly, I like his other series a lot better, Mutineer's moon being the best. I found the problem with Honor to be more his... homages, given that what he's writing is only following the origional material.

*shrugs* My latest, for thread purposes?

So, you Want to be a Wizard? Diane Duane And Wizard's War, by the same author. Wow, really seeing the differences... and I can't wait to see what she does next with the world. Wizard War is going to change a lot. Though I'm hoping for another cat book.

Crossfire by Miyuki Miyabe

The first thing I would like to say is if you get a wild urge after reading this book or before of renting or buying the Movie Pyrokinesis….Don’t!!! It is even more of a departure from the book then Sci-fi’s Earthsea. That being said on to my review of the book.

Miyuki Miyabe gives a good read about two women. One is a middle aged and skeptical police detective and the other is a young woman with the ability to start fires with her mind. The basic story revolves around the detective coming to grip with the reality of such powers and the pyrokinetic facing that what she is doing may not be right. You see the young lady views herself as a loaded weapon to punish those that escapes the law. Throw in a secret organization with its own agenda and you have a mighty good read.

The book greatest strength is the character development that Miyabe adds to her protagonists. While the fire starter starts out as this cold and unfeeling machine by the end you really begin to feel for her. The detective is likable from the start but you get the chance to see her growing and the problems of being a woman detective in a male dominated field.

I would recommend this book to all who are interested in psychic powers and also Japan. Miyabe’s story is also a tour of Tokyo and gives a feeling for the city (a great thing if you plan to run a scenario there). It is an easy and fun read.

4 out 5 stars

Just finished Kushiel's Dart by Jacquleine Clay. The hero is a masochistic prostitute who uses spy skills to save her country (France) from the Skaldi (Germans). It is a fascinating read. But for mature readers as the masochism might put people off.

I picked up the two other books in that series, but am cautious about opening them. Either it'll be more of the same and I'll want to smack the character by the time I'm through, or she'll develop and grow as a character and be someone else entirely. I'm not sure which I'd prefer, really.

Just finished Deryni Checkmate by Katherine Kurtz. This was the new "Author's Cut" version, which, other than being a new hardcover, seems to only have been changed for a few typos. Good book, has a bit of an "Empire Strikes Back" feel to it, as it's the middle of three books.

JoeG

Finished Kolchak:The nightstalker chronicles. The stories are a bit uneven, some not really capturing the feel of the character if you have seen the original series and movies.

Still most of the anthology is highly readable.

CES

Finished Dean Koontz's Life Expectancy.

When Jimmy Tock was born, his dying grandfather predicted five terrible days for him to live through. This book could have collapsed just dealing with those five days like the Difference Engine, and Double Image, but Koontz skillfully adds in where needed to connect everything together.

CES

I'm just over 1/2-way reading On Stranger Tides.

All I have to say is "Wow." It's a pity this book is out of print and so hard to find... as I'd love a copy for my own.

I'm just over 1/2-way reading On Stranger Tides.

All I have to say is "Wow." It's a pity this book is out of print and so hard to find... as I'd love a copy for my own.

Tim Powers, right? I think I have that book somewhere. I think I have a couple of his books, actually. If I remember correctly I liked 'em. I'll have to dig 'em out again.

Personally, I'm on the first book of Michael Stackpole's newest series. The book is Secret Atlas, and it's solid fantasy that follows a family of cartographers in their various trials and tribulations. Here's the thing: the patriarch is locked up by the prince cuz he's too valuable to let loose. The oldest son is off in the barren wastes hunting for the source of wild magic, his twin sister is caught up with a shady noble, and the youngest son is off to the edge of the known world to see what else is out there.

I recommend his stuff to anyone who enjoys a good solid fantasy read.

Tim Powers' date=' right? I think I have that book somewhere. I think I have a couple of his books, actually. If I remember correctly I liked 'em. I'll have to dig 'em out again.[/quote']

Yes. I have his The Anubis Gates, another good read.

Yes. I have his The Anubis Gates' date=' another good read.[/quote']

That was the other one. I don't know if I have more than those two but I remember both of those titles. It's been so long that I'll probably enjoy the books all over again.

Just finished Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordon. This is the penultimate book of the Wheel of Time and several loose ends have finally been tied up.

I have seen an interview where he says that there will be two more books, another prequel and the last book of the series.

I liked this one and shot through it in ten days.

There are still questions to be answered as to how it comes to a close but other questions have been answered and dealt with. I will leave off saying what for fans of the series.

Just finished Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordon. This is the penultimate book of the Wheel of Time and several loose ends have finally been tied up.
This just in: Hell officially about to be frozen over! (pending the actual end of that monstrosity I so liked when it was going to be a few books long) If he really does it, I'll be the first to tip my hat and I might even take a peek at it.

I just finished Tomoe Gozen and am now working on The Golden Naginata (and will finish up with Thousand Shrine Warrior. While okay, the writign style and some of the inaccuracies bother me, so I don't think I'll be keeping my copies once I'm done.

Aboiut halfway through the Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. It is interesting to me that everyone is making choices and fulfilling history without realizing it until it happens.

CES

Read this one years ago (whenever it first came out). Great book. This, plus Drawing of the Dark, securred Powers a permanent spot on my "author's to watch" list.

Read this one years ago (whenever it first came out). Great book. This' date=' plus [i']Drawing of the Dark[/i], securred Powers a permanent spot on my "author's to watch" list.

This book has made me think of getting the other one I saw on the shelf. I believe the title is Last Call. I haven't read one of his books before but this one has been cool so far.

CES

This book has made me think of getting the other one I saw on the shelf. I believe the title is Last Call. I haven't read one of his books before but this one has been cool so far.

CES

Last Call is part of an odd trilogy -- along with Earthquake Weather and Expiration Date.

CES

On Stranger Tides is also really cool - pirates, voodoo, and the Caribbean - what more do you need?