What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

_Gateways_ by F. Paul Wilson, part of the Repairman Jack series.

The only problem was that, due to having to read books in the series I can find, I read the next book in the series (Crisscross) before this one, which did spoil the metaplot a bit. However, even with that, I enjoyed the book greatly. The self-contained plot is good and the clues for the metaplot are nice (even having read Crisscross first, there are some things in Gateways that aren't referenced in Crisscross).

If you don't like Repairman jack, you probably haven't (and never will have) gotten this far into the series; if you've never read a Repairman Jack novel, start with The Tomb. Of the five RJ novels I've read so far, only Legacies seemed lacking a bit (but then it was more scifi than horror).

Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber. His best one for a while' date=' I think.[/quote']

I am looking forward to the next book. I would also love to see him write the story of the 40 year war with the Gbabe.

Just finished re-reading Robert A Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land... Well, it's been 40 years since I first read it. Still a classic, and fun.

Before that, just read the Saga of Seven Suns books (5 of 7 out so far) by Kevin Anderson... Feels like a Babylon 5 style story... Various races and human factions dealing with personal / racial problems all taking place in the background of an Elder Races war going on. Thought I'd give the first volume a try, and kept reading, and reading, and reading. Great characters and looking forward to the last two books.

Been reading Lord of Light. It's slow going for me, but then, Zelazny's very hit-or-miss with me. Some of his stuff I can burn right through, others I struggle with.

The Engines of God by Jack McDevitt. I liked it a lot, but since it echoes the themes of the Time/Space/Origins series (by Stephen Baxter, IIRC) I'd just been reading, it didn't stick out in my mind as it otherwise would have.

Been reading Lord of Light. It's slow going for me' date=' but then, Zelazny's very hit-or-miss with me. Some of his stuff I can burn right through, others I struggle with.[/quote']

Hint: I like Zelazny and even I found that one a bit hard until I was halfway through at which point there's an "Aha!" moment and it all starts to make sense.

cheers, Mark

Hint: I like Zelazny and even I found that one a bit hard until I was halfway through at which point there's an "Aha!" moment and it all starts to make sense.

I just finished the sequence where Sam gets his new body (after testing the process on someone else...).

Cormyr, by Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grubb. Yes, a Forgotten Realms novel. I liked the history and the (rather infrequent) action scenes, but I could have done without the endless scenes of noble intrigue for the throne. Reminded me all too much of Vampire:the Pretension, which in turn reminded me all too much of high school, which I don't want to be reminded me of.

I'd say it's okay, but meh, there are better books set in the Realms.

I just picked up Proven Guilty' date=' book 9 of The Dresden Files.[/quote']

I picked it up a few weeks ago. Oddly enough its my first book in the Dresden Files, but it was the only one available at Books-a-Million. Its well enough written that its wrecking my sleep schedule. :)

I picked it up a few weeks ago. Oddly enough its my first book in the Dresden Files' date=' but it was the only one available at Books-a-Million. Its well enough written that its wrecking my sleep schedule. :)[/quote']

I read it the night I got it. Went to bed around 1 AM.

Jennifer Government by Max Barry. How corporations could behave if they really thought they could get away with it. Thank the lord for government.

A fantastic book. I highly recommend his other books as well (Corporation and Syrup). They are also making a movie of Jennifer Government.

A fantastic book. I highly recommend his other books as well (Corporation and Syrup). They are also making a movie of Jennifer Government.

Y'know, I heard that, but I haven't seen any updates on it lately. Have you heard any updates? I think I heard a couple of years ago that Julia Roberts was signed on as Jennifer.

LOVED that book, by the way. I picked up Syrup at the library a while back, and that was also pretty good. Same concept at Jennifer Government, basically, but not taken to such an extreme.

Haven't read Corporation yet. I should probably go track down a copy.

Thanks, I hadn't really paid attention to any names on the newest incarnation of the movie project, didn't realize he had such a light resume, haven't seen any of his work yet but would like to see 300.

I'd like to add my voice to the praise of Jennifer Government - and also point out the website the author created for his webased game inspired by his ideas in the book- http://www.nationstates.net/

I don't know if Julia would be right for Jennifer - I think it should be someone younger.

I read it the night I got it. Went to bed around 1 AM.

Finished "Proven Guilty" over the weekend. It was very good and I am looking forward to reading "White Night." I just started reading "Storm Front" so I can figure out what's going on. ;)

Finished the first of three (in one tome) Hawk and Fisher novels. It's an interesting point of view on Fantasy Cop stories. I think I'm liking Nightside better overall, but I'm still going to finish the other two books.

I'll probably pick up a few more Dresden Files books after the fourth Nightside book.

I read a different Fantasy novel in there somewhere, but don't recall the title. It was much denser fiction than Dresden or the two Simon Green books, but enjoyable about a 100 pages in. I'll comment more when I recall the name.

Finished "Proven Guilty" over the weekend. It was very good and I am looking forward to reading "White Night." I just started reading "Storm Front" so I can figure out what's going on. ;)

I have a copy of "White Night" reserved. :nonp: