What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

I've been reading "the Dresden files" by Jim Butcher. Finished the series up to date. The TV show on sci-fi is good but the books are better.

Also recently finished "a feast for crows". By george R.R. Martin

I only read Odd Thomas' date=' but IMO 1) Koontz has a tendency to make his protagonists too squeaky-clean for my taste, including in that book, and 2) making Dead Elvis into a character rubbed me the wrong way.[/quote']I agree with the first statement. The Elvis part was pretty much a non-issue for me. If it bothers you greatly, it gets worse in the second book.

I liked all the Gunslinger books. Wastelands was my favorite. (However, if I ever build a killer robot, remind me not to put its source of power where it can be easily shot off. Who designed those things?)
I just want to know how they got a bear so big in the first place! I think I'd put in an Achilles Heel of some sort too. Just maybe one that didn't beg to get blown off. I might put the whirlygig on top to make somebody think that was the soft spot though. :)

I do believe you've got them confused.

Well, either you or WikiPedia, and I wouldn't put it past them. :)The Bad Place and Cold Fire.

No, I'm the wrong one. I apologize for that. Looking at the illustrations of the covers reminded me that Jim Ironheart believed aliens lived in a pond near a mill. Cold Fire has that windmill on the cover.

CES

Got a trio for you:

Creepers by David Morrell. A band of trespassers explore old buildings to see how the past was lived. They enter the Paragon Hotel and things go down hill from there.

The Curse of Arkady by Emily Drake. The Magickers are at home, but they still have to deal with the Dark Hand, and school problems on top of that.

Darkfall by Dean Koontz. Evil Voodoo magician versus New York cop in a blizzard.

CES

Hell hath no Fury, second book in the Hell's Gate sequence. The war begins in earnest, and both sides are in for some nasty shocks (not the reader, though. Weber can be a little easy to read as far as foreshadowing goes)

Exciting, highly readable and well written. Not High Literature, but who wants a steady diet of that?

Hell hath no Fury' date=' [/i']second book in the Hell's Gate sequence. The war begins in earnest, and both sides are in for some nasty shocks (not the reader, though. Weber can be a little easy to read as far as foreshadowing goes)

Exciting, highly readable and well written. Not High Literature, but who wants a steady diet of that?

That is why I like a lot of Weber. His books are FUN. They tell an adventure. They don't beat me to death with "reality". Like movies I get enough reality in real life. On occasion I just like a book or a movie that is just fun. Weber, Flint, Moon and Stirling, just to name a few all can write fun adventures and I really enjoy them.

Hell hath no Fury, was a good read.

Just finished "Cursor's Fury", the third book in the fantasy series by Jim Butcher (of "Dresden Chronicles" fame). I really enjoy that series. Good fantasy campaign material with a bit of a Roman foundation.

Of note, Butcher's next offering in the Dresden Chronicles, "White Night", (9th in the series) comes out tomorrow. I have it on pre-order so I should get it within the week.

Of note' date=' Butcher's next offering in the Dresden Chronicles, "White Night", (9th in the series) comes out tomorrow. I have it on pre-order so I should get it within the week.[/quote']

But only in hardback!!!!

:weep: :weep: :weep:

Just finished "Cursor's Fury", the third book in the fantasy series by Jim Butcher (of "Dresden Chronicles" fame). I really enjoy that series. Good fantasy campaign material with a bit of a Roman foundation.

Of note, Butcher's next offering in the Dresden Chronicles, "White Night", (9th in the series) comes out tomorrow. I have it on pre-order so I should get it within the week.

I pick mine up tomorrow :D

Guest steamteck

Been reading Lord of Light. It's slow going for me' date=' but then, Zelazny's very hit-or-miss with me. Some of his stuff I can burn right through, others I struggle with.[/quote']

I love Lord of Light. I must of read it 10 times. (Where's my copy) 9 Princes in Amber is really great too.( first series not 2nd where concept got clouded)

I love Lord of Light. I must of read it 10 times. (Where's my copy) 9 Princes in Amber is really great too.( first series not 2nd where concept got clouded)

I finished it. It was... okay. I'll be putting it in the NASA HQ book exchange.

I finally got to read A Feast Of Crows by George R.R. Martin. Man, it's like Karma works backwards in his settting. The more noble you are, the more unjust your fate....

Mm, I maybe exagerating, a lot of scumwads suffer too...

just not enough ;)

Grim Tuesday by Garth Nix. Arthur Penhaligon just wants to return to his everyday life after defeating Mr. Monday, but when his family and home come under attack, he must once again stop another dishonest trustee, Grim Tuesday.

CES

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore. Funny, irreverent look at death. Still not quite sure what to make of the ending, though I think I'm a little squicked.

I tore through it over the weekend.

I also read Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris, which was more of a mystery novel than speculative, but our heroine had the ability to "feel" the presence of dead bodies and what happened right before they died, so I'm counting it.

I'm also counting the number of times she describes what her characters are wearing, which is distracting in a murder mystery.

I had an attack of "pulpiness" recently and read a "Doc Savage" novel "The Land Of Terror". Fairly early and featuring a smoke that dissolves things and a "lost tropical island" south of New Zealand filled with dinosuars (of course !) Interesting in that we have a "Doc" who is much more prepared to kill criminals than I had ever thought. Maybe he got more into "delicate brain operations "in the later books ! Lots of fun and easy to read .