What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

I dont know if this is the right thread but I got the first collection for PS 238 by Aaron Williams. It's awesome.

CES

Great book, great strip. It really is a good time to be a Superhero fan.

I remember reading the first book of that series and then not continuing. Kind of a disappointment' date=' as I was a real Chalker fan at that stage. I still think that the Well World, Four Lords of the Diamond, and G.O.D. Inc. contained fantastic settings and ideas, especially for a gamer, but I find it difficult to enjoy reading any of Chalker's books these days. Too much torture of the protagonists.[/quote']

Particularly the females ones, I do intend to read Lords of the Diamond again (its been so long I barely remember them or if I finished all of them) and finally get around to reading the Changewinds series. I used to read obsessively in jr high and early high school but I really slowed down on recreational readingh ironically when I got into gaming but I'm trying to get back into it. My "to read" list would be probably be about as tall as I am if I stacked them up.

Finally getting around to reading "The Xanadu Adventure" by Lloyd Alexander. The final "Vesper Holly" novel. About halfway through and seems up to standard thus far. The book copped a lot of flak when it first came out and a lot of people didn't like it but, apart from a few cliches springing up here and there ("the fallacy of the talking killer" for example) i've enjoyed it.

Per Alice's suggestion, I read Castle in the Air the sequel to Howl's Moving Castle. I found it to be great fun.

I also read Enchantress from the Stars, which is more YA SF, and found it to be a good read. I like how the author switches between three characters, and uses a different style for each.

I am now going to start on Over Sea., Under Stone the first book in The Dark Is Rising series.

Got the other two collections of PS 238. There is a lot of foreshadowing of trouble in the future, and some new kids with new powers. Overall the light moments such as the nuke stopping silly putty outweighed the dark.

Also got CSI:Dying in the Gutters. A murder at a comic convention. Moment that made me stop to MST3K.

"Mr. Quesada you might have been the intended victim."

"Who would want to kill me?"

(Anybody who didn't like civil war)

CES

I recently finished the Scepter of Mercy series by Dan Chernenko(Harry Turtledove) it was a pretty good read, but I was disappointed by the epilogue.

I'm in the process of re-reading The Farseer Trilogy and the Tawny Man Trilogy by Robin Hobb, since she has a new series out. These books are just fantastic. The Liveship Trilogy is also very good, just not in the mood to re-read that one.

The Man with The Golden Torc by Simon R Green: Eddie Drood thinks he's fighting the good fight and keeping the world safe for humanity. Then he is declared rogue and almost killed. He finds out that everything hasn't been like he thought.

CES

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished the Dark Tower by Stephen King. I don't know what to say. Roland always arriving at the tower and being sent back to save it is harsh punishment, except at the end there's hope that he will fix the mistakes he made the next go round.

CES

Just finished Renegades Magic, the last Soldiers Son Trilogy book, and to be honest with you I really enjoyed it. Her reinvisionings of dryads/wood elves, and mages who are used by magic were really interesting as usual, but more interesting was the way she discussed identity politics through Nevare's character. It was as interesting as it was frustrating.

Just finished the first Dresden Files novel, Storm Front the other day. Good stuff.

Cool thing is the TV series and the novel's universe seem to be disparate enough that I can enjoy both on their own merits, but close enough in the essentials that I can get a good sense of double-dipping into the Dresden-verse. Here's hoping they renew the show! In the meantime, I think I'll be picking up more of the novels.

Finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Read it in one day, and found it flowed well with a wonderfully menacing villain. Oh, and one heck of a body count!

Finished the Dark Tower by Stephen King. I don't know what to say. Roland always arriving at the tower and being sent back to save it is harsh punishment, except at the end there's hope that he will fix the mistakes he made the next go round.

CES

I liked the ending, but I've heard a LOT of whining about it. I figure, the story's always been about something epic, the kind of story that's been told again and again and again. There are several themes which exist in other, much older stories, and even some of the names are bastardizations of names from classic tales.

So the wheel comes around again, and this time, Roland has the chance to do it right, instead of being so fixated on the Tower that he loses sight of everything else.

I liked the ending, but I've heard a LOT of whining about it. I figure, the story's always been about something epic, the kind of story that's been told again and again and again. There are several themes which exist in other, much older stories, and even some of the names are bastardizations of names from classic tales.

So the wheel comes around again, and this time, Roland has the chance to do it right, instead of being so fixated on the Tower that he loses sight of everything else.

The implication that he's done the same thing multiple times is kind of staggering.

Still the return of Dinky Earnshaw and Brautigan and others from other stories was welcome.

CES

The implication that he's done the same thing multiple times is kind of staggering.

Still the return of Dinky Earnshaw and Brautigan and others from other stories was welcome.

CES

Yeah, I definitely got a kick out of the cameos. ^ v ^

Mirror of worlds by David Drake. The Kingdom of the Isles has become the Land as a continent has been formed to unite the islands. Garric forces the Coerl to vow to become members of his kingdom, then sets off on a quest to gain aid against the latest menace to his rule.

Volumes 1-7 of Buso Renkin by Nobuhiro Watsuki. Kazuki Muto was injured, armed with a weapon that replaced his heart, fought menace after menace, only to be put on a hit list because his weapon can make him a vampire draining all life around him.

He has six weeks to find an answer to his problem.

CES