What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Is that in on of the existing series? I haven't seen it yet!

Man with the Golden Torc is supposed to be the first book of a set according to the advert on the last page. I bought it as a hardback at B&N about a month after Hell to Pay I think. It should be on their site so you can order it.

CES

I recently read "Gardens of the Moon" by Ericksen. I think it is the best book I have read in a LONG time. It is similar in many ways to "The Black COmpany" novels by Cook, but I was always kind of "meh" on them, though I read them. I have re-read the ending of "Gardens of the Moon" about 6 times just trying to be certain I understand what is going on. I was told the next book isn't out yet, but there appear to be about 5 other LARGE books in the series/world on the bookstore shelves... :eek::D:eg:

I have just finished Reapers Gale which is the latest hardback in the series. There are also a series of novellas in the series.

The next one you need if you are reading them in order is Deadhouse Gates.

Then comes Memories of Ice

Chain of Dogs

Midnight Tides

The Bonehunters

You get a whole lot of things like different types of humans, gods, ascended beings, soldiers and demolition charges.

You can read the first two in isolation but after that you need to have read previous books. Midnight Tides, The Bonehunters and Reapers Gale go together but the two latter also refer back to the second through fourth books.

I have just finished Reapers Gale which is the latest hardback in the series. There are also a series of novellas in the series.

The next one you need if you are reading them in order is Deadhouse Gates.

Then comes Memories of Ice

Chain of Dogs

Midnight Tides

The Bonehunters

You get a whole lot of things like different types of humans, gods, ascended beings, soldiers and demolition charges.

You can read the first two in isolation but after that you need to have read previous books. Midnight Tides, The Bonehunters and Reapers Gale go together but the two latter also refer back to the second through fourth books.

My wife just picked me up the next three for my birthday!!! :D

I'm currently reading' date=' at the recommendation of others, Doc Sidhe. When I finish (and I'm taking my sweet time) I'll comment more, but so far, to those who suggested it, Thanks :)[/quote'] Do you know about the sequel "Sidhe Devil" ? Not as good, but worth a look if you enjoyed the first book. (As a fan of "pulp" I really enjoyed "Doc Sidhe" !:))

Good book. I need to find "The ghost legions" at a price I can afford. :(

I would also suggest "Freehold" about the ultimate (afaik) LIBERTARIAN (not just big L) Utopia and the related novel "The Weapon."

The latter is very powerful. It may be too dark for many people.

That's okay. I like dark.

Just finished Eric Flint's Through the Looking Glass. Like most of Flint's work, it's military sci-fi, and right-wing ideological, but it's a solid story, and I like his recent tendency towards Doc Smith style Space Opera. I've picked up the sequel Vorpal Blade, but I haven't had a chance to crack it open yet.

I would highly recommend "Inheritance" by Devin Grayson. Its probably the best superhero novel I have ever read (and I have read a lot of them).

The background plot of searching for Deathstroke is really just window dressing, as the main interest is the relationship development between Batman and Nightwing, Green Arrow and Speedy/Arsenal, and Aquaman and Aqualad/Tempest.

This should be required reading for any GM, as it could really flesh out the sidekick or DNPC personality.

Boy, I must have been out of it when I posted earlier.

It's Into the Looking Glass by John Ringo. I don't think I messed it up any worse than that.

Sorry, the name John Ringo is an instant turn-off for me.

It's not fantasy or sci-fi but, I recently finished ROCKET BOYS (AKA. October sky) by Homer Hickam JR. :thumbup:

If this had been published in the early 1980's, My blowing things up would have had a lot more method to the madness.:ugly:

I was reading "Kushiel's Dart" before it got packed to move. I was enjoying the book but I am unable to unpack further until the next bookcase comes. Please, no Spoilers, just what are your opinions ? I liked the section I got read before the book was packed.

And don't tell Constantine ! :sneaky:

I was reading "Kushiel's Dart" before it got packed to move. I was enjoying the book but I am unable to unpack further until the next bookcase comes. Please, no Spoilers, just what are your opinions ? I liked the section I got read before the book was packed.

I've only read the first two books, but I found number two to have a little more depth and somewhat better characterization - but the pacing was inferior to the first book.

Very intriguing books. There were definitely times when I wanted to strangle Phaedre, but the political intrigue is woven pretty well, and it's a very complex world Carey has built.

If one were reading those books for the sex, one would probably be disappointed, as one has to get through several hundred pages and LOTS of political intrigue to get to it.

When Darkness Falls, the final book in the "Obsidian Trilogy" which pretends that Mercedes Lackey had something to do with writing it, but was really written by James Mallory. I love his portrayal of elves from their etiquette to the fact that they gave up the ability to do magic in order get their long lifespans.

• 2 weeks later...

Neverwhere by Neil Gamien. This is the "author's preferred text" version that I picked up in Australia. Has some bits of new text, some passages are in different order, and the terminology is English. A fun book.