What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

She: A History of Adventure by H. Rider Haggard. It was a very good read, though it took me a while to read it but not for lack of trying. Several times I had to tear myself away and get some sleep for work. Very well paced. The end is a bit rushed, but even there Haggard describes it as "not being nearly the tale of what we had been through in the past three weeks." (paraphrased) The book is written in first person and the scenes are well described. A hidden place in this world, and every fantasy (or modern fantasy for that matter) world needs to have Kor hidden someplace in it.

I finally finished the Hawkmoon omnibus -- took me weeks to slog my way through it.

I have come to the conclusion that I have outgrown Moorcock's writing. When I was 9 I though Elric and Erekosë were cool. Now I find his writing plodding, his characters undeveloped, and the action uninteresting.

To recover, I reread The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe last night while watching Jurassic Park 3. Now that's a good book.

I have just finished book 4 of the Malazan book of the Fallen.

This is called House of Chains and is by Stephen Erikson. The book is a bit of a door stopper at just over 1,000 pages.

The book concerns in the main the Malazan empire's attempts at payback on the rebellion of the Seven Cities chronicled in Book 2 Deadhouse Gates. To be honest you really need to have read that book to get what is going on in this one. You do get a whole lot more of what is going on. book 1 Gardens of the Moon is also a help. You could miss book 3 but really you would not want to.

You have gods, various different human types, magic and the military all together. I really enjoy the books. If you ever wondered what use a skeleton with a weapon was as in DnD, then you really need to see the T'Lan Imass in action.

The book does feel anti-climatic in one way at the end but there is so much going on that you can forgive it. Less so if you haven't read Deadhouse Gates though.

a bit snobby, but full of good sources

Follow this link and see what this person thinks of your favorites.

http://greatsfandf.com/AUTHORS/

Many of my favs got 1 and 2 stars.

:(

Don't get me wrong, I am used to having tastes in movies/music/books that are not shared by many others. But if my favorites got 1 to 2 stars and this guy is rating some authors at 5 stars...maybe I should check them out as possible authors to investigate?

I have been looking at starting the Lyonese books of Jack Vance before visiting this site. Now I am going to try the Demon Princes series after reading the Vance entry.

Other notable authors that I had never before encountered -

Ernest Bramah, The Wallet of Kai-Lung

Charles G. Finney, The Circus of Doctor Lao

(Can you tell that I liked Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds?)

Anyhow, I hope that some of you will find some recommendations from this persnickety individual's website.

Originally posted by Lightray

I finally finished the Hawkmoon omnibus -- took me weeks to slog my way through it.

I have come to the conclusion that I have outgrown Moorcock's writing. When I was 9 I though Elric and Erekosë were cool. Now I find his writing plodding, his characters undeveloped, and the action uninteresting.

I'm an enormous Moorcock fan. I first read his fantasy stuff in my teens and I still think it rocks.

Hawkmoon isn't quite as good as the Corum, Elric or Erekose series but even at his less successful Moorcock still kicks the ass of almost any other fantasy writer.

The first 3 books in the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg. An absolutely enthralling tale of a group of college gamers dragged into the fantasy world their 'characters' play in, acquiring the skills, talents, and physical characteristics of their characters and maintaining their normal intellect.

Quite good.

Originally posted by Starlord

The first 3 books in the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg. An absolutely enthralling tale of a group of college gamers dragged into the fantasy world their 'characters' play in, acquiring the skills, talents, and physical characteristics of their characters and maintaining their normal intellect.

Quite good.

I read the first six books or so of that series. I liked how Rosenberg set up the concepts of the setting, so it wasn't "RPGS lead you to real adventure!" And he certainly didn't present the idealized fantasy world of many RPGs, without creating a narrative and world so unpleasant that you don't want to read any more (as Orson Scott Card did in his atrocious Hart's Hope).

Patrick J McGraw

Death Masks by Jim Butcher

Just finished Book 5 of the Dresden Files.

If you want a very quick light read, with lots of action, the Dresden Files' series fits the bill. So far, all 5 books have been thoroughly enjoyable.

I did groan over some wisecracks made by the modern day wizard/standup comic, but these were minor irritations at best.

I give it an 7.5 out of 10.

I just Finished Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. It was quite good. A little dry but a very involved tale, a very beleivable story from a "future history" point of veiw. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'll give it an 8. the stength of the book came from the excellent depictions of Mars itself and how Robinson handled the whole corporate takeover and revolution. I'm taking a break from the series to read The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian then I'm back on the Martian horse for the other 2 books.

I wanted some inspiration for my Star Hero game and it definetely gave me some!:cool:

Re: Death Masks by Jim Butcher

Originally posted by Bozimus

Just finished Book 5 of the Dresden Files.

If you want a very quick light read, with lots of action, the Dresden Files' series fits the bill. So far, all 5 books have been thoroughly enjoyable.

I did groan over some wisecracks made by the modern day wizard/standup comic, but these were minor irritations at best.

I give it an 7.5 out of 10.

My wife likes those, she initially got into them because of James Marster reading them but she's also read the books of course now. It's not the kind of thing she used to like, but she's started edging more into such things in the wake of having been a Buffy/Angel fan.

Originally posted by Lord Mhoram

I started having my doubts about the end when Peggy said "Don't go to (wherever*) or you will die", and I thought okay so that will be his Carthage.

I've wondered that at every turn. Will this be his Carthage? What about now? How about now? Now? I wish this obvious knowledge were somehow not obvious. I could go to hatrack.org and complain, I guess.

Re: Re: Death Masks by Jim Butcher

Originally posted by zornwil

My wife likes those, she initially got into them because of James Marster reading them but she's also read the books of course now. It's not the kind of thing she used to like, but she's started edging more into such things in the wake of having been a Buffy/Angel fan.

I find myself wanting to defend The Dresden Files from your attempt to categorize it with "Buffy/Angel".

But the more I think on it, they are the same basic genre. But I would like to add that while I stopped watching Buffy after Season 1, I have continued with the Dresden Files.

Might be an age thing. If I were in my twenties, the Buffy TV series might have more appeal and Dresden book series might not be as enjoyable...

But alas, I am old and toothless...

:)

Re: Re: Re: Death Masks by Jim Butcher

Originally posted by Bozimus

I find myself wanting to defend The Dresden Files from your attempt to categorize it with "Buffy/Angel".

But the more I think on it, they are the same basic genre. But I would like to add that while I stopped watching Buffy after Season 1, I have continued with the Dresden Files.

Might be an age thing. If I were in my twenties, the Buffy TV series might have more appeal and Dresden book series might not be as enjoyable...

But alas, I am old and toothless...

:)

I don't like overtly youth-oriented shows (like Dawson's Creek or Road Rules or whatever) but I enjoyed Buffy, I thought it told a good story of the maturation process.

I have now finished The Way Between the Worlds by Iain Irvine. This is the fourth book of a quartet called the View from the Mirror. The nominal heroes are a story teller (think bard but no fighting skills or magic just the ability to make people happy with their stories), and a young landowner.

The book answers one of the first questions asked in book 1, who killed the disabled girl when the flute was destroyed and the Forbidding came down. The fate of three worlds imperilled by the Void and the beasts therein is resolved. Not to everyone's satisfaction. Particularly as you have several different factions competing for different goals.

I would give the book at least an 8 out of 10.

Enchantment, bu Orson Scott Card. It appears to be a one shot, rather than a never ending series, for which I am grateful, since I am already paying Mr. Card enough for the Ender chronicles and Alvin Maker. Its an exceptional fantasy, well written, thoughtful, and entertaining. It incorporates magical realism (similar to Charles DeLint or Gabriel Garcia Marquez), which I enjoy. It includes some of my favorite characters from mythology.

No one can write like Marquez, I was just listing examples of magical realism.

Rating: 8 out of ten. There are better ways I could have used my time, but I have no regrets for the time spent reading it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now finished the third book of the His Dark Matertials trilogy, The Amber Spyglass. The book is better than the second book The Subtle Knife but the first book is still the best.

It brings things nicely to a close. And resolves everything. I am also now aware what all the fuss was about the trilogy being anti-Catholic.

It is a good read but you need to read the other parts first.

I give it a 9.

The Circus of Dr. Lao

by Charles G. Finney (not the religious guy)

It is short, only 100 pages long. It was written in 1935 and carries its age fairly well, with the exception of frequent racial slurs (mainly against Chinese, but a few aimed at African-Americans). This last point made me feel a little guilty enjoying this fine book. I kept wincing as various racial slurs kept bringing my reading to a grinding halt. I detected no malice on the author's part...people 60 odd years back probably talked this way frequently.

But I must warn people that while the book is very enjoyable, there are numerous racial slurs thrown about without apparent malice. If you are sensitive to certain words, you might want to pass this one by...

I would have given it an "8" of "10". But I deduct 1 point for the slurs...

• 2 weeks later...

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

I know SOME of you have completed a book in the last 10 days!

(Imagine you are sitting next to Ben Hur, on that galley, rowing...rowing...rowing... The drum begins to beat, Bozimus cries out and cracks a whip near your ear!)

Write a review, damn you! Put your thumbs into it! Battle speed!

Boom! Boom! Boom!

I did finish a book within the last ten days but it was not a fantasy or sci/fi one.

But now I have finished the Crossroads of Twilight, book 10 of the Wheel of Time. In which nothing much happens as things are prepared for later.

Part of it is to do with people reacting to the big event of the last book which was epic and does change things for the good guys. cf What Rand and Nynaeve did.

Perrin find where the people who took his wife are but can't do anything about it;

Mat flees Ebou Dar with the Senachen princess but slowly so that the Senachen go looking in the wrong places;

The Aes Sedei try to unite the rebels and the White Tower;

Plot seeds are put down for later development;

Despite the fact that nothing really major happens I would still give this an 8 out of 10.

• 1 month later...

Black Company book 1

I finished the first book in Glen Cook's "The Black Company" series surprisingly titled...you guessed it..."The Black Company"!

I liked it - quite a bit. I am still kicking myself for having repeatedly passed this series over for the last decade or so. I cannot tell you how many times I reached for this book, only to put it back and buy some drivel instead.

I give it an "8" out of "10".

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

If you like gritty, realistic fantasy that portrays the protagonists as more grey than lily white, you could do far worse.

Gonna have to try Cook's "Garrett Files" soon...

This week I have re-read Homer's Iliad, which, to be quite frank, I didn't enjoy this time. It was a slog to get through it, the meddling of the gods detracts seriously from the human drama, the grisly deaths all blur into one another, nearly all the major characters are utterly repellent, and the parenthetic digressions on the families and homelands of hordes of minor characters (most of whom do nothing but get killed) are nothing but an irritation. Perhaps it's great. But it isn't good. 4/10

And I read Tom Robbins' Jitterbug Perfume, which is pretty good, which some striking Robbins turn of phrase, but which tries too take a large theme, and errs in including both a half-baked telelogical version of evolution and a few figures from Greek myth. 8/10