What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

I always thought that idea was contributed by the British Empire. You're giving Weber too much credit. ;)

I haven't read Off Armageddon Reef yet, but a friend really liked it. OTOH, he really enjoyed At All Costs too. :snicker: I suppose I'll read it eventually, but I'm not in any hurry.

Off Armageddon Reef is pretty good once you get past the "set up phase". The only disappointing thing about it is that Weber has a tendency to recycle plot points and it runs rather rampant in this book.

My problem with At All Costs (as spoiler free as I can make it) is, shall we say the, "continuing complications". Does that make sense? :)

I started reading Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series, but have stopped about half-way through. His writing didn't grab me, and the story, while interesting, just sort of sat there.

On the other hand, I've finished all four of the War Against the Chtorr novels and now wait for volume 5, supposedly due out in late '08 or early '09.

I started reading Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series' date=' but have stopped about half-way through. His writing didn't grab me, and the story, while interesting, just sort of sat there.[/quote']

I've had that same reaction to Koontz several times. I don't know why I keep picking up more books by him.

I've had that same reaction to Koontz several times. I don't know why I keep picking up more books by him.

I'm not impressed with his writing skill. And the tag line "A Master Storyteller Creates A Bold New Legend" is pure hogwash. Robert E Howard can put more life into a single paragraph than this guy does in a whole chapter.

I'm currently reading The Hellboy Companion. I must for fans of the series.

On a related note (though it probably doesn't count as a 'novel') I just read the Mignola graphic novel The Iron Prometheus, which is a story about Lobster Johnson. It sort of combines the tail end of the Pulp hero era with the Golden Age of Superherodom, and has a nice bizarre version of Iron Man (in vril-powered armor) around as well.

On a related note (though it probably doesn't count as a 'novel') I just read the Mignola graphic novel The Iron Prometheus' date=' which is a story about Lobster Johnson. It sort of combines the tail end of the Pulp hero era with the Golden Age of Superherodom, and has a nice bizarre version of Iron Man (in vril-powered armor) around as well.[/quote']

I haven't bought that yet, but I will.

Off Armageddon Reef is pretty good once you get past the "set up phase". The only disappointing thing about it is that Weber has a tendency to recycle plot points and it runs rather rampant in this book.

My problem with it was the munchkin stuff. Yes of course they can make a flawless simulation of the human form that is simultaneously an indestructible unstoppable killing machine. And of course it can use lots of probes using high-tech power sources right under the nose of orbital weapons platforms that are programmed to destroy high-tech power sources. There's no problem there at all.

On the other hand' date=' I've finished all four of the [i']War Against the Chtorr[/i] novels and now wait for volume 5, supposedly due out in late '08 or early '09.

I cannot believe that they are producing more books in this series after such a long hiatus! Reminds me of the time I read "In Conquest Born" by C.S. Friedman. Twenty years later, a sequel pops out of nowhere! Was the author in a coma? Was she kidnapped by aliens and only recently returned?

Susano, obviously you like the "War Against the Chtorr" series. How does the 4th book stack up (in terms of enjoyment) against three older books?

I cannot believe that they are producing more books in this series after such a long hiatus! Reminds me of the time I read "In Conquest Born" by C.S. Friedman. Twenty years later, a sequel pops out of nowhere! Was the author in a coma? Was she kidnapped by aliens and only recently returned?

Susano, obviously you like the "War Against the Chtorr" series. How does the 4th book stack up (in terms of enjoyment) against three older books?

Book 4 is brutal, but then each book is more and more unforgiving with regards to the fate of man. However, book 4 has a number of positive notes for our hero as well. Book 4 also forces our hero to face facts -- he doesn't work or play well with others.

Oh, and over in the Star Hero board I have a 1st draft of a Chtorran gastropede.

No Humans Involved:

Kelley Armstrong is the author of best-selling series of not-especially notable paranormal romances known as Women of the Underworld. No Humans Involved on the other hand stands out from the series for me, because they get into the industry of the fake paranormal. I like the cheerful cyncism with which the heroine, who really can see ghosts and raise zombies, fakes ghostly messages for stage and TV shows and tries to avoid places that are really haunted because the ghosts in question destract her from her performance. The title's clever too for anyone familiar with that particular bit of police jargon.

Me either. Tried two of his books, was meh'ed out and haven't bothered since.

cheers, Mark

Anyone have any opinions on the Black Company books?

I liked them enough to pick up the first series again for my collection. Good, gritty fantasy with a great feel for being in a fantasy-world mercenary company. Great characters.

THe downside is that, for all the grittiness, it sometimes doesn't take itself very seriously (or else Glen Cook didn't) and sometimes it almost mocks itself.

My advice is pick up the first series, or at least the first book which sets everythign up nicely. I didn't get too far into the second series to be able to speak on them with authority.

EDIT TO ADD - I'm not much a of a fantasy reader by and large. LOTR, Song of Ice and Fire and Steven Brust's novels are just about the limits of my fantasy reading because I find most of it self-important and boring.

Anyone have any opinions on the Black Company books?

I only read the first three Black Company books. I thought the first book was great. The second book was pretty good, but not quite up to the standards of the first. The third book was the weakest of the three, but still pretty good IMO. To sum up, I enjoyed the first three books. I was warned by a friend to stay away from all subsequent books in that series.

I am currently reading the third book (Memories of Ice) in Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. (Thus far) this is a VERY good fantasy series!

I just read " The Man with the Golden Torc."

Simon R. Green is good old fashioned fun. In MY house anyway!

Also re-reading a lot of the Dresden Files.

Try Simon R. Green's "Nightside" books. I have read three of that series and found them to be quick/fun reads.

I am considering re-visiting his "Deathstalker" series. I read the first book and for some reason I cannot recall, did not continue. I need me some 'grand ole space opery'! :D

Try Simon R. Green's "Nightside" books. I have read three of that series and found them to be quick/fun reads.

I am considering re-visiting his "Deathstalker" series. I read the first book and for some reason I cannot recall, did not continue. I need me some 'grand ole space opery'! :D

I have all of the Nightside books except the latest "The unnatural enquirer" :D:eg:

I have also only read the first Deathstalker book, but have the second sitting around. I was looking at it the other day thinking... "maybe next week."

Hmm. Not sure if it belongs in here but I just finished The Elfish Gene by Mark Barrowcliffe. It is a autobiographical account of "Dungeons & Dragons and growing up strange".

I really enjoyed the book and recognised a lot of the people in it (by character type if not actually by name!). I walked a different path from the author but it could easily have been me...in another life.

:)

Doc