What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Manxome Foe by Travis S. Taylor. Very old-fashioned stuff. The characterisation is...unsubtle. Very gee-whiz in fact. But the examination of the practical problems involved in Traveller-style wilderness refueling and other space operations is fascinating stuff, potentially useful in space roleplaying. Annoying anti-French rant at the end.

Earth Thunder by Patrick Tilley. Part 6 of the Amtrak Wars and the end of the series.

The ending comes quick and sudden. There are quite a few loose ends but I can see why he did it that way.

I liked it.

The Bozimus is confused. I thought this series was unfinished? I had decided not to read the first book in this series because of that rumor...

The Bozimus is confused. I thought this series was unfinished? I had decided not to read the first book in this series because of that rumor...

No, Earth Thunder is the end of the series. What annoys many people (including myself) is that it isn't the end of the story.

However, it does end the story of the main character.

I just read David Drake's "With the Lightnings."

Not bad, but imo not great.

Sci-fi rendition of Hornblower.

I think I like Adele better than Daniel.

And the manservant Hogg, iirc... :eg:

I just read David Drake's "With the Lightnings."

Not bad, but imo not great.

Sci-fi rendition of Hornblower.

Actually it's a Sci-fi rendition of Aubrey and Maturin. And Maturin (Adele) was always the cool one in that pairing.

In later books, Drake does state that he is using those books and the journals of some lord as the basis for his books. I remember in the latest book that he commented that while he was using those journals he couldn't have his hero be a traitor like the nobleman who had written the diaries.

CES

Actually it's a Sci-fi rendition of Aubrey and Maturin. And Maturin (Adele) was always the cool one in that pairing.

I couldn't remember that series, I tried to think of it. :( I have never read it, though. I used HOrnblower as a generic for the era, I guess.

As books, I like most of the HOnor Harrington series better.

However, the end of the book where he is watching the riggers adjust the "SAIL" equivalents was pretty good.

No' date=' [i']Earth Thunder[/i] is the end of the series. What annoys many people (including myself) is that it isn't the end of the story.

I thought that it was a good end to the series (even if it did all wrap up pretty quickly). :)

Like any good story it does not presume that this is the beginning middle and end and hints at what might happen after the story ends. It isn't neat and tied up with ribbons but it is a good ending point.

One of my favourite sereis actually though the author has suffered from sever writer's block since the end of the series and done virtually nothing else. I hope he recovers soon.

Doc

No' date=' [i']Earth Thunder[/i] is the end of the series. What annoys many people (including myself) is that it isn't the end of the story.

Ah...thanks for clearing up my misconception. I just moved "Cloud Warrior" into my "soon (relatively) to be reads" pile.

Another 2 for 1.

Small Favor by Jim Butcher

It hits all the right notes, and it hits them the way we're to them being hit. The plot moves along, but I can't help feeling that in terms of character development, this was a step back a book or two. It's still really good. Butcher is like pizza: Even when it's only okay, it's still pretty good, and I'd say this was better than okay.

The thing that sung to me the most in the book was his relationship with Thomas. It's just great. It rings true as well, and reminds me of how I get along with my brothers. Murphy is still 5 feet of awesome, Mouse is the shizznit, but even with everyone more or less making an appearance (well the werewolves weren't there, but we get a reminder with the Crown Royal dice bag reference), they tend to get very little screen time. Even Luccio who should have a lot more screen time, is sort of tacked on as the future romantic disaster du jour.

All in all, it's fine, but the depth I was really starting to see in 8 & 9 just aren't there. Now it looks like Butcher may be moving into more philosophical territory in developing Harry, and that's fine, but I thought 8 & 9 showed Harry's growth. In an odd way, it reminded me of Frank Miller's comment on why he wrote Dark Knight Returns, and how as Harry got older, he was starting to get a little wiser as well. That's not absent in Small Favor, but it sure is in the back seat.

What do you want, it's Harry Dresden. If you liked the other books, this will fit alongside nicely them. If you didn't, I'm not sure why you're still reading this. ;) 3.5 out of 5.

Number 2:

The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane - Robert E. Howard

I read a lot of Conan when I was a teenager, and I remember liking it, and finding it a bit more complex than the movies had led to believe it might be. The characters, even as their most basic, were still living, breathing creatures of depth and complexity. So when I read:

Collected in this volume, lavishly illustrated by award-winning artist Gary Gianni, are all of the stories and poems that make up the thrilling saga of the dour and deadly Puritan, Solomon Kane. Together they constitute a sprawling epic of weird fantasy adventure that stretches from sixteenth-century England to remote African jungles where no white man has set foot. Here are shudder-inducing tales of vengeful ghosts and bloodthirsty demons, of dark sorceries wielded by evil men and women, all opposed by a grim avenger armed with a fanatic’s faith and a warrior’s savage heart.

I was pretty much hooked. Crazed puritan uber-warriors form the guy that gave us Conan?!?! Sign me up!!

And my faith was well rewarded. The collection includes major published works, and a group of fragments that were never finished. In all, I found hat after reading the whole thing, I wanted more. Kane is an intruiging character, and seeing his decent into semi-madness as the stories develop and he trudges deeper in to the heart of darkness is just fascinating. Now throw in a huge helping of lost civilizations and strange cultures, and you have a rock solid winner here.

Highly recommended, 4.5 out of 5.

Another 2 for 1.

Small Favor by Jim Butcher

It hits all the right notes, and it hits them the way we're to them being hit. The plot moves along, but I can't help feeling that in terms of character development, this was a step back a book or two. It's still really good. Butcher is like pizza: Even when it's only okay, it's still pretty good, and I'd say this was better than okay.

The thing that sung to me the most in the book was his relationship with Thomas. It's just great. It rings true as well, and reminds me of how I get along with my brothers. Murphy is still 5 feet of awesome, Mouse is the shizznit, but even with everyone more or less making an appearance (well the werewolves weren't there, but we get a reminder with the Crown Royal dice bag reference), they tend to get very little screen time. Even Luccio who should have a lot more screen time, is sort of tacked on as the future romantic disaster du jour.

All in all, it's fine, but the depth I was really starting to see in 8 & 9 just aren't there. Now it looks like Butcher may be moving into more philosophical territory in developing Harry, and that's fine, but I thought 8 & 9 showed Harry's growth. In an odd way, it reminded me of Frank Miller's comment on why he wrote Dark Knight Returns, and how as Harry got older, he was starting to get a little wiser as well. That's not absent in Small Favor, but it sure is in the back seat.

What do you want, it's Harry Dresden. If you liked the other books, this will fit alongside nicely them. If you didn't, I'm not sure why you're still reading this. ;) 3.5 out of 5.

Where you aware that they are doing a Dresden Files Comic, at least a limited edition one?

Just finished Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus #1.It covers Buffy’s doings from when she first became the Slayer until she heads to Sunnydale and the story about her and her original watcher is based on Joss’ original screenplay and not the one that the movie was eventually made from. It also has a story about Spike and Drucilla at the 1930’s world fair and the story of how Giles came to be Buffy’s Watcher. I give it an 8 out of 10.

I'm about halfway through The Iron Hunt by Marjorie M. Liu. I was a bit leary of it at first, handed to my be a work colleague who is also a specfic fan as something she enjoyed as airport reading.

The back cover blurb didn't help either - it looked like yet another ubermensch woman with supernatural powers fighting evil. Another Buffy clone.

But the review extract on the back by Publisher's Weekly is proving to be true - readers of early Laurell K Hamilton and Charlaine Harris should try it.

It's certainly in that vein. Lots of first person, fast moving narration - and lots of partial sentences and picture painting with words. The story is a bit annoying like Anita Blake too (who is so stubborn at times you want to slap her) - and too many secrets are hinted at in annoying ways.

But I'm enjoying it, and it's going to be part of a series. I recommend it as entertaining and interesting even if it isn't literature.

The main protagonist is from a long matrilineal line. The Hunter, the last surviving warden of the Veil (that keeps demons locked out of the real world). The other Wardens being more mortal/of a different kind. She has a pack of demons at night, which become tattoos during the day and give her invulnerability. The daughter takes over when the mother is killed (at night, when vulnerable of course) and inherits the demons. Martial arts, and some supernatural powers via the demons (such as exorcising demons from their possessed hosts or "zombies").

I'd give it an 7 out of 10. More if the dialogue was better :)

The Last Colony, by John Scalzi. Sequel to Old Man's War and The Ghost Brigades, and including the major characters of both.

Well written, and well thought out. The Colonial Union Government, previously working as a functional if somewhat cold-blooded organization, here shows the drawbacks of being unrepresentative and responsible to no one, and the main characters have to tread a thin line between surviving and being traitors...

I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

Monsterous regiment, by Terry Pratchett :thumbup:

Amazon.com

What do you get when you cross a vampire, a troll, Igor, a collection of misfits, and a young woman who shoves a pair of socks down her pants to join the army? The answer's simple. You have Monstrous Regiment, the characteristically charming novel by Terry Pratchett.

Polly becomes Private Oliver Perks, who is on a quest to find her older brother, who's recently MIA in one of the innumerable wars the tiny nation of Borogravia has a habit of starting with its neighbors. This peevish tendency has all but expended Borogravia's ranks of cannon fodder. Whether Sergeant Jackrum knows her secret or not, he can't afford to be choosy, as Perks and her/his comrades are among the last able-bodied recruits left in Borogravia. This collection of misfits includes the aforementioned vampire (reformed and off the blood, thank you), troll, and macabre Igor, who is only too happy to sew you a new leg if you aren't too particular about previous ownership. Off to war, Polly/Oliver learns that having a pair of, um, socks is a good way to open up doors in this man's army.

The Scent of Shadows, by Vickie Pettersson. Not bad for urban 'superhero'/metahuman fantasy, with a Zodiac theme.

Not as enjoyable as the Dresden Files, but a bit heavier than "Kitty and the Midnight Hour".