What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Turncoat due out in about a week. April 7th' date=' I think.[/quote']Yeah, and my birthday is only a week before that. I may buy it for myself. :)

Have you done a Hero writeup of Harry Dresden and his merry band yet?

Yeah, and my birthday is only a week before that. I may buy it for myself. :)

Have you done a Hero writeup of Harry Dresden and his merry band yet?

No. Harry's though. His power level jumps around a bit. Also, I'd need to create the magic system... and I don;t have the sort of energy or time right now. Mouse would be easy, though.... as would Karin Murphy and maybe Michael Carpenter.

I own all four Absolute Sandman collections' date=' and most, if not all of his novels. But I've pretty much given up on Stephen Donaldson and have no interested in the new novels of Thomas Covenant and the Land.[/quote']

:)

Everyone has their own tastes.

I own all four Absolute Sandman collections' date=' and most, if not all of his novels. But I've pretty much given up on Stephen Donaldson and have no interested in the new novels of Thomas Covenant and the Land.[/quote']

And I love both Donaldson and Gaiman. :king:

But I've pretty much given up on Stephen Donaldson and have no interested in the new novels of Thomas Covenant and the Land.

I've never understood how these ever even got published. The Land was pretty good as a setting. But the main character was utter garbage. Basically a whiner that simply wouldn't go away. The entire time I was reading the first series I was waiting for the story to start. If I hadn't been in BFE and they were the only books available I would have never read them. The only good thing that came of it was I was able to successfully avoid his mirror series. The first chapter made it plain that the author just made the whiner a female as was going from there.

Try Ananzi Boys -- same universe' date=' but a little lighter of heart. :)[/quote']

See, I loved American Gods, it's up there with Neverwhere and Good Omens for me, but I couldn't finish Anansi Boys. And I couldn't get more than a few pages into the first book of the Thomas Covenant series.

Just read two books, Blood Music by Greg Bear and Silkie by A.E. van Vogt.

Blood Music: 8.5/10

The level of detail in describing the biological aspects floored me, and the idea of reality depending on observers was interesting. The edition I got from the library was littered with typos, but it was still very gripping.

Silkie: 7/10

A lot of fun. Fascinating background, very descriptive prose, flimsy plots. It was basically three stories squished together to form a book, with the same main character in each story. In each story the protagonist used psychology to defeat a more powerful opponent, learning the opponent's tricks as he went along, to use against the next even more powerful opponent.

In the end, the protagonist ended up rebooting the universe, tweaking to his desires as he did so.

Just read two books, Blood Music by Greg Bear and Silkie by A.E. van Vogt.

Blood Music was a great read but I could never really get into Vogt's writing style. I've bulldozed my way through some of his classics because I had enjoyed some films based on them. But something I can't put my finger on always made then 'not good'.

The first chapter made it plain that the author just made the whiner a female as was going from there.

That stops. She ends up being a very strong character, and very proactive. It won an award from some national feminist organization for best female empowerment story or something.

Donaldson, instead of doing the "farmboy growing into a hero" takes people that are broken some way - usually emotionally and has them grow out of it. It's a constant theme of his.

To show how messed up a kid I was, when I read the first Chronicles of Thomas Covenant in high school, I had never before (or since really) identified with a character in a book as much as I identified with Thomas. :)

A man of discretion and varied tastes. :)

I like almost all Gaiman (everything except for Anansi Boys, really) and the Mirror series by Donaldson. He's a good writer, but I never liked the series he was best known for. I had the same issue with Joe Haldemann. I like some of his stuff, but never got through Forever War, the book he is really known for.

S.M. Stirling's "Dies The Fire" - first in his Emberverse trilogy.

I haven't read much of Stirling's stuff previously, but I liked this one... mostly. The premise was interesting, some kind of cosmic event renders electronics, firearms and fossil fuels unusable. It is a sort of soft apocalypse in that there's no nuclear war or tectonic changes to the planet. Guns and vehicles simply stop working. It apparently ties loosely with another series of his: "Island In the Sea of Time" that casts the island of Nantucket and a US Navy vessel back in time a few thousand years. That time travel event caused the failure of modern technology.

S.M. Stirling's "Dies The Fire" - first in his Emberverse trilogy.

I haven't read much of Stirling's stuff previously, but I liked this one... mostly. The premise was interesting, some kind of cosmic event renders electronics, firearms and fossil fuels unusable. It is a sort of soft apocalypse in that there's no nuclear war or tectonic changes to the planet. Guns and vehicles simply stop working. It apparently ties loosely with another series of his: "Island In the Sea of Time" that casts the island of Nantucket and a US Navy vessel back in time a few thousand years. That time travel event caused the failure of modern technology.

'Dies The Fire' and the rest were pretty good reads. Though I don't know if the current direction will maintain.

The ship in IitSoT wasn't Navy. It was the USCG Eagle, a 295-foot barque. That was what made it plausable for it to continue operating.

Me too. I was the first person to get a reservation on it at the local library. :)

Heh, I know someone who works for the local library system. I get the book after her husband reads it.

Tsk tsk' date=' such abuse of the library system... :tsk:[/quote']

Apparently you missed the part about this being the latest Harry Dresden novel. :D