What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Just finished the final two parts of the Windsinger Quartet by Megan Lindholm. Very low power action focussing on a gypsy trader and her friend.

The third book looks at a trap weaved by a Windsinger against Ki (the gypsy trader) which sends her into another realm. Here she becomes entranced and tries to create a new marvel which is what the thing in the realm wants until she is rescued by her friend.

The fourth book deals with transporting human cargo, an empath which they don't discover until later. A rebellion and a villainous Duke complicate matters.

I would give this 7 to 7.5 out of 10.

Did you know that Megan Lindholm and Robin Hobb are one and the same person?

I've just finished "The Dragonbone Chair", first book of the "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" fantasy trilogy by Tad Williams.

I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. The overall format of the story owes much to "Lord of the Rings" (of course, of course), and the characters are very archetypical fantasy templates but I thought it was more realistic, human, dark, well-written, and melancholic than most efforts of the kind.

One thing I enjoy a lot is a writer who knows how to inject feeling in archetypical characters, revitalizing the old ideas. Williams does that. BTW, I though his book a perfect midway point between "Lord of the Rings" and a completely dark fantasy like George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire". On one side, you have something of Tolkien's innocence, descriptions, and old Celtic roots, on the other you have a bit of Martin's darkness, realpolitik, cruelty, and descontruction.

I also am a sucker for sympathetic characters, and I am quite ready to cheer for the thousandth time for outcast boy who becomes hero, the disguised princess who craves a life of freedom, the brooding romantic prince who has a tragic past, sometimes I love a old story retold as much as a more original tale.

Nice book, I plan to read the rest of the series.

I also recently read Neil Gaiman's short story, "A Study in Emerald". You can go to his site and read it. Very fun and cool. It's a clever crossover between Sherlock Holmes and the Cthullu Mythus. But instead of the obvious idea of Holmes investigating mad Lovecraft cultists, you have an alternate world 19-century where Lovecraft's Great Old Ones rule the Earth and have replaced human royal families. Gaiman, with his usual flair for mixing horror and comedy, avoid turning it into a dystopian nightmarish tale and opts to go the absurdist satiric route. The story also has a clever twist in the ending.

Guest Kim T.

I just finished the original 12 Conan books penned mostly by Robert Howard, with some help from L. Sprague de Camp. Me hubby has really turned me onto a lot of good fantasy over the years, but I always put off reading about Conan because I pictured him as very one-dimensional. They were better than I thought they'd be. Now I'll be starting on the latest Myth book. I hope it's a good deal better than the recent ones.

I have been reading Skylark of Space by EE Smith. Its quite enjoyable' date=' a nice light read, and classic pulp. The main character is strong, a brilliant inventor and has beautiful gal at his side. The main villain is just as cunning, just as strong, honorable, but dark and amoral. The book definitaly had strong influence on the TV show [i']Lost in Space[/i]. I haven't finished it yet, but would give it a 8 of 10. Its straightforward, no real surprises, but its a great read.

Be sure to read the others. Also read the Lensman novels, they are much better. You can get the Lensman novels here

And note the copyright date on the book. The original magazine appearance was in 1928!

The fact of the matter is that Smith invented most of the SF concepts we take for granted; like force fields, ray guns, virtual reality, tractor beams, energy beings, teleportation, etc.

Guest milton febles

finished reading Lady of poison, a forgotten realms novel by bruce cordell. i know this is a stupid question never having read them: but why were they called the lensmen?

Re: Bloodstone by David Gemmell

Book 5 in a strange series that started as fantasy and ended as Post Apoc. This book lost focus midway through but redeemed itself somewhat with a healthy dose of action. It ended very abruptly and was somewhat of a letdown at the end.

I enjoyed the first two books, much less well known IMO, in the series more than the last three in congregate. I think this had something to do with expectations that were not quite met by the Jon Shannow books (last three).

I have NEVER read a series that started as Fantasy and ended with gunfire. Truly, these would have been better as two separate series IMO.

I give "Bloodstone" a 6 out of 10.

I definitely agree with you on this series. The first couple are a very interesting take on Arthurian fantasy, but I could not get past the radical shift to Shannow. I've found his other fiction to be hit and miss... "Legend" is probably my favorite of the lot, dealing with a fortress under siege and a legendary Hero coming out of retirement for what could be his last stand :thumbup:

Currently, I'm tearing through Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series for the umpteenth time, since I've just picked up the latest in the series (am I the only one who re-reads an entire series when the new chapter comes out??)

Be sure to read the others. Also read the Lensman novels' date=' they are much better. You can get the Lensman novels here

And note the copyright date on the book. The original magazine appearance was in 1928!

The fact of the matter is that Smith invented most of the SF concepts we take for granted; like force fields, ray guns, virtual reality, tractor beams, energy beings, teleportation, etc.

I've read the first four Lensmen novels, the book store didn't have 5&6 so I picked up Skylark of Space instead. Reading the novels it is apparent that a lot of scifi elements were developed from Smith's novels.

but why were they called the lensmen?

Simple answer is that the device, which helps to focus mental powers, the lensman where is called, 'the Lens.' For humans, its described as a watchlike device. It is instantly identifiable and cannot be copied. If the wearer of the lens dies, the lens automatically dissolves. So one who wears the lens is called a Lensman.

A Grey Lensman is an unattached Lensman and is identified by his plain grey uniform. Unattached Lensman cannot be ordered and can ask for any resources from the Galatic Patrol in order to complete their objective. I haven't read Second Stage Lensman so can't describe them yet.

Re: Bloodstone by David Gemmell

I definitely agree with you on this series. The first couple are a very interesting take on Arthurian fantasy, but I could not get past the radical shift to Shannow. I've found his other fiction to be hit and miss... "Legend" is probably my favorite of the lot, dealing with a fortress under siege and a legendary Hero coming out of retirement for what could be his last stand :thumbup:

Currently, I'm tearing through Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series for the umpteenth time, since I've just picked up the latest in the series (am I the only one who re-reads an entire series when the new chapter comes out??)

"Legend" is a great book! I must read the "Dark Tower" series, several have suggested it.

I am amazed that you re-read entire series each time a new book is published in a series! I have a hard time just reading the latest sequels...

Simple answer is that the device' date=' which helps to focus mental powers, the lensman where is called, 'the Lens.' For humans, its described as a watchlike device. It is instantly identifiable and cannot be copied. If the wearer of the lens dies, the lens automatically dissolves. So one who wears the lens is called a Lensman. [/quote']

The second most important function of the Lens is that it is cannot be counterfeited or stolen. So possession identifies the wearer as a Lensman with no chance of a mistake. (They cannot be counterfeited because they are made...elsewhere. They have a multicolored-rainbow appearance that is impossible to simulate with the vacuum-tube technology of the novels. They cannot be stolen because touching a Lens that is not in contact with its owner will kill within seconds. )

Entry exams and training were made rigorous enough that all Lensmen were incorruptible (there was another guarantee that I won't go into because it is a story spoiler). A Lensman can function as judge, jury, and executioner anywhere in Civilization. And it is impossible to lie when using Lensed telepathy. By law all Lensman politicians must answer any question of corruption with Lensed telepathy.

Well "Nyrath""Doc"Smith didn't exactly INVENT these concepts as popularize them. He was one of the most successful writers of his era and although concepts such as teleportation had been around since the 19th century few of the readers of 1920's pulp S F magazines would have known about them. What Smith did, he generally did well, but I don't know how much he actually INVENTED !

• 3 weeks later...

Bump

Close to finishing "Hero King" by Rick Shelley (book 3 of the Varayan Memoirs) and Aaron Allston's sequel to "Doc Sidhe" entitled "Sidhe Devil".

Aaron's book is the better of the two, IMO.

I have a question. The same Rick Shelley has a Sci-fi space opera series that starts with "Officer Cadet". Any opinions as to whether the series is worth reading?

Just finished Hyperion by Dan Simmons, although the book itself doesn't actually "finish" -- it stops at a cliffhanger and continues in Fall of Hyperion. Which wasn't really indicated on the cover copy.

It was good enough that I picked up the next book. It is an interesting Sci-Fi future setting, with FTL travel and communication, AND stellar teleportation, AIs, and some other background bits. The story and background is told in Canterbury Tales fashion, with seven pilgrims telling their stories about the strange alien being they're going to see.

Just finished Hyperion by Dan Simmons' date=' although the book itself doesn't actually "finish" -- it stops at a cliffhanger and continues in [i']Fall of Hyperion[/i]. Which wasn't really indicated on the cover copy.

It was good enough that I picked up the next book. It is an interesting Sci-Fi future setting, with FTL travel and communication, AND stellar teleportation, AIs, and some other background bits. The story and background is told in Canterbury Tales fashion, with seven pilgrims telling their stories about the strange alien being they're going to see.

The sequel is as good (if not better) than the first.

Part of the fun in Hyperion is figuring out which other writer's styles each of the pilgim's tales are told in. Some are very obvious, others are not so.

I have a question. The same Rick Shelley has a Sci-fi space opera series that starts with "Officer Cadet". Any opinions as to whether the series is worth reading?

I read "Officer Cadet" some time back, and it didn't hold my attention very well. I will admit that I had just finished reading one of the "StarFist" novels (Sherman and Craig, also mil/sci-fi) so my opinion may have been biased. May have to go back and try again and give Shelley a fair shot.

Guest joen00b

I recently finished A Thousand Orcs and The Lone Drow by R.A. Salvatore. Now, forever and a day, I've felt Salvatore is a hack with a one trick Pony named Driz'zt and the whole Drow Elf angle. Every book was the same thing until, to me, it became a parody of itself. First it was Entreri, then he 'dies' then it's drow, then it's Entreri, then it has somethign to do with Drow, then it's drow... you get the point.

I read these last two books and they kept me interested enough to finish them, but it's almost the same stuff. It is better, I'll grant him that, but it's still the same old same old. Had they not been loaned to me to read, I doubt I would have read them, and I won't be reading the third one if I have to buy it.

Guest Soulcatcher

As many people have pointed out, "A Song of Fire and Ice" Series by George R R Martin is a superb fantasy series, the best I have ever read. The characterizations, plotting twists and turns, different perspectives and his excellant writing skills make the books a page turner and sometimes even a chapter turner because you want to find out what happens next. You get a good feel for all the characters whether good or bad. These weren't a recent read and waiting for the next book in the series has been frustrating because it is taking him a long time to write.

Just finished Hyperion by Dan Simmons' date=' although the book itself doesn't actually "finish" -- it stops at a cliffhanger and continues in [i']Fall of Hyperion[/i]. Which wasn't really indicated on the cover copy.

One of my all-time favorites from the early 90's! The Endymion books are not as good, IMO.

Dan Simmons is very chaotic. He can write a horror that will bring tears to your eyes "Song of Kali" and "Carrion Comfort" and first rate science fiction like "Hyperion" then put out pure crap like that stupid book "Fires of Eden", the lame "The Hollow Man", and the boring "Phases of Gravity". I was disappointed in "Children of the Night" as well.

Very hit or miss.

I read "Officer Cadet" some time back' date=' and it didn't hold my attention very well. I will admit that I had just finished reading one of the "StarFist" novels (Sherman and Craig, also mil/sci-fi) so my opinion may have been biased. May have to go back and try again and give Shelley a fair shot.[/quote']

Thanks for helping me put "Officer Cadet" on the back burner by confirming my suspicions! I think the next Space Opera I read will be either the "Revelation" series by A. Reynolds or the second book in the Deathstalker series by S. Green. Shelley kinda dropped the ball in the fantasy series "Varayan Memoirs" IMO. My time is so limited, I am not going to chance reading another of his books unless I am desperate...

I just finished Dragon Venom, the third book in the "Dragon" trilogy by Lawrence Watt-Evans. I really like LWE's stuff, and enjoyed the first couple of books immensly, but the finale wasn't quite as good. Part of the reason is there's a gap of several years between the second and third book (a device I don't like), but also the end seems to come out of nowhere, complete with a deus ex machina style solution to their problems. All in all, I'd give the complete series a solid "B". Worth picking up in paperback.

On a side note, while I was happy to hear that LWE has been contracted to do another trilogy for TOR, I was very disappointed to hear that the Ethshar series is on indefinate hold. Those kind of tales are where his style works best, and it's a niche that nobody else is really filling in the fantasy genre now.

As many people have pointed out' date=' "A Song of Fire and Ice" Series by George R R Martin is a superb fantasy series, the best I have ever read. The characterizations, plotting twists and turns, different perspectives and his excellant writing skills make the books a page turner and sometimes even a chapter turner because you want to find out what happens next. You get a good feel for all the characters whether good or bad. These weren't a recent read and waiting for the next book in the series has been frustrating because it is taking him a long time to write.[/quote']

The suffering caused by my resistance to start reading "A Storm of Swords" is much akin (I assume) to a very thirsty man stopping himself from drinking a cool glass of water. I hunger for that third book! The precious calls me! But I must wait for "A Feast For Crows" to be published lest I end up waiting years for book 5!

Agony! My willpower is not infinite! Write, George, write like the wind!

Agony! My willpower is not infinite! Write, George, write like the wind!

Yeah. I finished the Game of Thrones and started the second book, and decided not to read anymore until the series is actually finished (after having been burned by Jordan). And GoT was one of the best fantasy books I have read in a long time.

I'm also waiting for Turtledove to finish "The Darkness Saga", but the end is in sight there.

Guest Soulcatcher

Yeah. I finished the Game of Thrones and started the second book, and decided not to read anymore until the series is actually finished (after having been burned by Jordan). And GoT was one of the best fantasy books I have read in a long time.

I'm also waiting for Turtledove to finish "The Darkness Saga", but the end is in sight there.

Jordan has become such a great disappointment after such a great start. Somehow he must think that a cast of thousands will make the story better and what is it with all the endless descriptions of clothes and furniture? Is he writing a work of fiction or a fantasy version of the Sears catalogue. Soon I expect that we will get detailed descriptions of toilets and peoples activities therein. Then again, maybe Jordan has run out of ideas and is just trying to create filler. I do not expact to ever read another one of his books unless he gets an exceptional review. :(

Jordan has become such a great disappointment after such a great start. Somehow he must think that a cast of thousands will make the story better and what is it with all the endless descriptions of clothes and furniture? (

I think what happened is that his editors were vitims of his success and didn't have the guts (or authority) to reign him back. A really good (or even mediocre) editor from books 7 on would have been fabulous. I've been told by people who read the later books that the last one got better on that front.

So when I mention Martin and Jordan in the same breath, I apologize to Martin, the only thing there was waiting for the next book, and / or the series to be finished.

On direct topic, I have been re-reading the Gap series by Stephen R Donaldson. Oh man, I had forgotten how good these things are. The politics in the Martin books seem almost kindergardenish compared to the backstabbing and manuevering going on in this series. The books can be brutal, but they are amazing. I've started rereading all the Donaldson stuff leading up to the new Covenant book due out middle october.

One of the things I love about Donaldson, is that his charcters go from helplessness into power. And the helplessness is usually some form of being broken (Leprosy, being abused, having no self image). So every main character is a story of self discory and discovery of power and growth- and he doesn't use the "innocent just starting out in the world" cliche to do it. Given that means some pretty horrible things happen to those characters in the beginning (or just before the story starts) but, oh man where they end up is great. From someone broken to world striding hero.

And as counterpoint most of his books have a character that falls into the "so noble it makes you eyes hurt to look at them" kind of character. My namesake is one, Min Donner is another. So we know that SRD isn's just about brutality and nastiness, he has the noble people there as well, just never the heroes (well until the end of the books).

And yeah, I love the internal monologues and psychodrama too.