What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Yeah' date=' Akira was fantastic when it came out.[/quote']

Amusing story: at the time, Akira (or any manga for that matter) wasn't carried by local comics shops, so a friend got it from a friend overseas: after he had read each month's issue, he passed it on to the rest of us, so it went around the group. I'd just borrowed the first 5 issues (these were the colour trades) and they were still sitting on the table in my apartment when a non-geek friend came by. He saw them, made a face and said "Oh god, don't tell me you read comics". I said "These are not your kiddie comics - here, just have a look." To his credit, he did. There was a period of silence while he read and I made us drinks and then eventually he looked up and just said "Where's issue 2?" He read through all 5 that I had and then waited each month for the next one along with the rest of us :)

cheers, Mark

The sad thing about Akira is most Americans' exposure to it was the anime. Which was still excellent, but there's just no way you can effectively compress the brilliance of the manga into a two hour animated short. (Although seeing poor Kaori pop has to be one of those classic moments in anime history.)

Just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Supposedly he's a local guy, into SCA and gaming, massive geek cred. He also just happens to have scorched off a pretty damn good novel, the first of a short series. The hero telling his tale after his derring-do is done. Took me two tries to get going on it but once I reached the turning point I was hooked.

Just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Supposedly he's a local guy' date=' into SCA and gaming, massive geek cred. He also just happens to have scorched off a pretty damn good novel, the first of a short series. The hero telling his tale after his derring-do is done. Took me two tries to get going on it but once I reached the turning point I was hooked.[/quote']

I have been waiting for the third book to come out before starting this one (thanks to GRRM :(). I have been salivating in anticipation because TNotW is rumored to be an excellent book. I may relent soon and begin to read it before the third book is released. Kinda depends on the other books in my Fantasy "to be read" pile.

I have been waiting for the third book to come out before starting this one (thanks to GRRM :(). I have been salivating in anticipation because TNotW is rumored to be an excellent book. I may relent soon and begin to read it before the third book is released. Kinda depends on the other books in my Fantasy "to be read" pile.

Perhaps it was a little over hyped, but I found the book good but not "that good". I think that I would have been extremely impressed by it if I had stumbled across it, but as it is I heard all these raves about it and then it just didn't _quite_ hit that sweet spot.

The sad thing about Akira is most Americans' exposure to it was the anime. Which was still excellent' date=' but there's just no way you can effectively compress the brilliance of the manga into a two hour animated short. (Although seeing poor Kaori pop has to be one of those classic moments in anime history.)[/quote']

I'm just glad the live-action movie was cancelled.

I'm just glad the live-action movie was cancelled.

Indeed, such an abomination would surely have broken the Seal and unleashed the snarling Hordes of Apocalypse upon us all. And those of us who beheld the abomination would wantonly fling ourselves upon the tender mercies of the slavering demons, for none of the suffering they could inflict would compare to the mind blasting horror.

I still think Gunnm could be done well in live action, but it'd still be hard to pull off in Hollywood.

Indeed, such an abomination would surely have broken the Seal and unleashed the snarling Hordes of Apocalypse upon us all. And those of us who beheld the abomination would wantonly fling ourselves upon the tender mercies of the slavering demons, for none of the suffering they could inflict would compare to the mind blasting horror.

I still think Gunnm could be done well in live action, but it'd still be hard to pull off in Hollywood.

Supposedly, James Cameron's trying.

Personally, I think Akira would work best as an animated epic miniseries.

Gunnm has been in Development Hell for over a decade now. There was talk about Cameron having a go at it after Titanic' date=' but Avatar happened instead.[/quote']

Wasn't Avatar sort of a proof-of-concept for Cameron? As in showing he could do the CGI landscapes he wanted for Battle Angel?

Just finished listening to Phoenix Rising: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel. Listening to second book now. Very enjoyable. An Emma Peel/John Steed Avengers feel to the main characters set in a steampunk Victorian Era. Enjoyed enough, may pick up the series of short stories set in e format, though most are not written by the 2 primary authors.

On Basilisk Station - the first of the Honor Harrington books. I think this is the third time I've read it, possibly the fourth. I love the series, although I do like the earlier books better.

I just finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. It is very much science fiction of the good old social commentary vein. Extremely well written and constructed. Nested, connected short stories. I am amazed they could make it into a movie and now I want to see it to see how successful they were.

I just finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. It is very much science fiction of the good old social commentary vein. Extremely well written and constructed. Nested' date=' connected short stories. I am amazed they could make it into a movie and now I want to see it to see how successful they were.[/quote']

io9 calls it both one of the best and one of the worst of the year, for various reasons.

I just recently finished 2 different Larry Niven collaboration books.

Fate of Worlds - completes the Fleet of Worlds and Ringworld storylines. A must read for Niven Known Space & Luis Wu fans.

Bowl of Heaven - Another twist on the Ringworld/Dyson Sphere concept. It's part 1 of 3 books so the jury is still out on this one.

• 2 weeks later...