Classic Genre Busting Moments

Vondy

Every so often something happens in a game that completely crosses into another genre (without ruining the plot or anyone's fun). Here's one that recently occured in my game:

One of my players is playing a knight with a 25 point code of chivalry. He has shiny maximillian style full plate, a helm with plumes, the whole 9 yards. He's very... paladin cavalier like.

The group is travelling through a no-mans land claimed by two kingdoms (the chelen gap if you're familiar with harn) when they come to a bridge fording a river. Its the only way to cross for miles and time is of the essence. There is, of course, a knight (in black) on the other side of the bridge who will not let anyone pass unless they prove themselves worthy in the flowering of valor. That's right. Combat.

The guy playing the merchant decides this isn't his show. The pixie decides to hide. The actress (confidence artists and thief) decides it'll be a good show. And, before the shiny knight can answer the challenge, the groups mercenary says he'll accept the challenge.

The knight holding the bridge isn't interested in fighting "unmounted peasants" and just rides him down for him impertinance (he got knocked into the river and had to abandon his mail) and returns to his place on the far side of the bridge.

When I describe the scene again (a desolate place, a bright and dry day, a rustling wind through brown grass) the player of the shint kenigget, who had seen the good the bad and the ugly the night before gets the whole spagetti western theme going in his head.

He dismounts, mentions the clinking of his spurs on the dusty road (okay, the road is dusty now) and the passing tumbleweed (eh, tumbleweed?!), and comes to a halt on his side of the bridge. He nods, scratches his stubble, notes the sweat dripping down his temple, and gives the "black knight" a silent nod.

The "black" knight, seeing he wants a hand-to-hand fight dismounts and comes to his edge of the bridge, spurs clinking.

They regard eachother intently for a long moment and start walking towards eachother, intending to meet at the center of the bridge. In that moment, before I could speak, one of the other players (who had his laptop at the table - its that kind of group) starts playing an mp3 of the theme to the good, the bad, and the ugly.

They meet and the "black knight" (black hat wearing bad guy) says...

"Draw"

Both were dex 14 and had fast draw. The PC won the roll by one and ended the fight.

We couldn't stop laughing.

Any good genre busting moments in your games?

Mortally wounded a dragon with a 9mm Beretta once. Fantasy Hero game, but we'd started out as versions of ourselves, with a few modern implements to give us a chance in hell of surviving. Anyway, by a dozen adventures in, we all looked like your usual FH group, I'd been using a magic sword for like ten sessions, and all the ammo was gone...well, almost.

GM: "A dragon flies over the hill and comes right towards you. It's out of melee range."

Me: "I draw my nine and fire."

GM: "You still have that thing?"

Me: "Yup. Three rounds left."

GM: "Well... okay. Roll it."

Critical hit to the vitals. Did I mention we treated firearms as AP in the campaign? Anyway, it fled in fear of my mighty boom stick.