Medieval city maps

The Mad GM

My parents have a copy of an isometric view map of medieval Turin framed and mounted on their wall. They inherited it from a relative in Italy a few decades ago. It has its limits as a gaming aid because the scale is dodgy and the angle is a little to close to horizontal, but it makes a fine prop and a dandy background.

Does anyone know where I can get something like this?

Google search for "Medieval City Maps" ?

Sorry, but I did do such a search on Hotbot and found this site:

http://historymedren.about.com/library/atlas/blatlondex.htm

Just clicked on one or two but they look good. If you are looking for large, paper maps though, I would suggest roaming around the SCA homepage (http://www.sca.org) as I know a friend who picked up quite a few good ones from one of the regular vendors in the West.

If you want useable streetmaps instead of isometric views, hit the web and check out tourist board sites for medieval cities in Europe. I was in Siena last week, and came away with a lovely large scale street map showing the city walls, the gates, squares, churches, castle, etc, etc.

File the serial numbers off and your players wil never know :-)

cheers, Mark