Need resources for Early American game

Herolover

Hey.

I am thinking about trying to run an Alternate History game based very loosely upon the French and Indian War in early America. Something along the lines of the Last of the Mohicans movie with some "other" material thrown in.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any internet resources that would come in handy?

sorry, not an internet source, but I recommend the "The Everday Life..." series. Specifically:

Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in Colonial America: From 1607-1783

According to Amazon, it is out of print, so you can try to get it used, or check you library.

The series is as you would expect from the name, details of everday life during the time period that you can use to slip into your game.

I found a book called "Frontier Living" to be a great resource for this era. It has all kinds of pictures and commentary on houses, clothes, tools, etc, used in the US from colonial days up through the taming of the West. The emphasis is on the early frontier, though, since the Wild West has been pretty well covered already.

The same guy who wrote and illustrated this book (Edwin Tunis, by the way) also wrote one called "Colonial Living", that looks like it covers that time period more in depth. I'm planning on getting that one sometime....

You are SO a person after my own heart! Historical games rock!

For references, there are a lot of websites out there geared towards historical romance writers -- they often have a lot of daily life issues crop up. Also, check out the big colonial tourism sites -- like Williamsburg -- for more.

The best resources are still books, though. A few years back a nice coffee table book came out that would probably fit the bill (will get off butt and run downstairs...OK. Thomas Fleming's _Liberty_) that probably would fit the bill.

If you want a detailed bibliography, I'd be happy to provide one. But Liberty would probably be enough detail to get the initial game going.

Wait. I can't let this opportunity to peddle a website go by! Here's a little site that is now growing into a book for RPing from 1775-1820: http://mactyre.net/archives/regency/

-Shelley