Intacto

Snarf

If you haven't heard of this movie, it's about people who have the power to steal luck, either by touching someone or taking a photo of them. They compete against each other in clandestine games of chance, some of which are extremely dangerous and high stakes. Here's a trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/intacto.html

I was thinking of different ways this power could be done in Hero and this is what I came up with:

Luck Stealing: Transfer Luck 4d6 (target's luck to character's luck), Can Transfer Maximum of 40 points, (AP 68); (RC 68).

This would be the simplest way to do it, but you have to talk your GM into allowing Luck to be drained into negatives like a characteristic. If this isn't allowed, it could be done with a transform which inflicts the Unluck disadvantage, and a bunch of Luck or an Aid Luck linked to that transform and limited by its effect.

Luck Stealing: Transfer Luck 6d6 (target's luck to character's luck), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +1/2), Delayed Return Rate (5 points per year, +2 1/2), Can Transfer Maximum of 150 points, (AP 423); (RC 423).

Here's something closer to the overpowered luck stealing used in the movie.

The contest of luck used in the movie (like running through a forest blindfolded and whoever doesn't ram into a tree wins) could be done as luck vs. luck rolls, similar to skill versus skill rolls, or whoever has the most levels of luck could automatically win, which would be more like how it was described in the movie. The modified Russian roulette game could be done as an opposed luck roll.

Stealing luck through photos would just be part of the cosmology of that world. Photos steal part of your soul there and you can steal luck or use other touch powers on a target through them.

So, what do y'all think? Would you allow the Transfer Luck power in your game? Have you ever used luck extensively in your games?

I guess the lack of response means nobody has seen this movie. Seriously, check it out at the video store everyone. It's like a Twilight Zone episode made on a movie budget.

Turns out that luck is not visually stunning as I conceive it, and someone THAT lucky is unlikely to be much of a hero.

That surprises me, because to me luck is the quintessential hero power. Every time I see someone run through a wave of gunfire or jump off a 4 story building and live in a movie I think that guy is damn lucky.

Or sometimes I think, "Whoa! That guy must have like 6 levels of Combat Luck!!"