HTH Rapid Fire, Auto Fire, etc.

Can someone offer up help on the use of Autofire, rapid fire, etc with HTH attacks (like Martial Arts or a Single Martial Maneuver)... I've gone over this in the books many times in the last week.... and frankly, I dont get it. Not a bit of it.

I'm trying to take a Martial Arts character and give him a Multi-punch attack....

What do I buy, and where do I buy it.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Re: HTH Rapid Fire, Auto Fire, etc.

Originally posted by GradonSilverton

Can someone offer up help on the use of Autofire, rapid fire, etc with HTH attacks (like Martial Arts or a Single Martial Maneuver)... I've gone over this in the books many times in the last week.... and frankly, I dont get it. Not a bit of it.

I'm trying to take a Martial Arts character and give him a Multi-punch attack....

What do I buy, and where do I buy it.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Just buy Autofire with the maneuver. Give the number of shots (punches) to determine the adjustment. Apply the advantage cost to the points of the maneuver.

example...

Killing Strike, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2)

Base cost: 4 points

Active cost: 6 points

Remember that Martial Arts are nothing more than a collection of maneuvers that a character learns under a certain style. Essentially, the maneuver is just a power to which the advantage is applied. However, some GMs would only allow this to be built as a Hand Attack, or HKA.

Also, I believe there's more on this in Ultimate Martial Artist, but I'm still waiting on my copy, so I'm not sure.

A multiple punch could be many things. I will try and give you a couple of examples:

Example 1:

Speed Punch: +6d6 Hand-To-Hand, Autofire: +1/2, HTH Limitation: -1/2 30pts

This version will allow you to do up to 12d6 in an AF attack (6d6 from HTH and up to +6d6 from your STR). This attack functions just like a normal AF attack (+1 hit for every 2 the roll is made by).

Example 2:

Martial Strike used with Sweep maneuver.

This version will allow you to attack the with your Martial Strike more than once per Phase. You decide how many times you want to attack and that becomes the minus for all hits (you decide to attack 3 times, you take a -4 for each of the three attacks).

The Rapid Attack skill would allow the character to do a Sweep maneuver in a half phase action instead of a full phase action. That means the character could half move, and do a Sweep.

Originally posted by Victim

What if a character has Autofire on his/her strength? Then can he use martial manuevers with each strength strike?

Personally, as a GM I'd say no. Too many complications and STR is too cheap already. As a Player, I'd say "Sure, why not?".

In the end, ask your GM, see what he says.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help but IDHFIFOM.

Re: Re: HTH Rapid Fire, Auto Fire, etc.

Originally posted by Syberdwarf2

Just buy Autofire with the maneuver. Give the number of shots (punches) to determine the adjustment. Apply the advantage cost to the points of the maneuver.

example...

Remember that Martial Arts are nothing more than a collection of maneuvers that a character learns under a certain style. Essentially, the maneuver is just a power to which the advantage is applied. However, some GMs would only allow this to be built as a Hand Attack, or HKA.

Also, I believe there's more on this in Ultimate Martial Artist, but I'm still waiting on my copy, so I'm not sure.

There is indeed more in UMA. Basically, you figure the 'pseudo-Base Cost' (my term, not used in UMA) of the maneuver, figuring in STR and Extra DCs, and figure the cost of the naked Advantage from that. UMA has the details.

Re: Re: Re: HTH Rapid Fire, Auto Fire, etc.

Originally posted by Peregrine

There is indeed more in UMA. Basically, you figure the 'pseudo-Base Cost' (my term, not used in UMA) of the maneuver, figuring in STR and Extra DCs, and figure the cost of the naked Advantage from that. UMA has the details.

Ahhh....can't wait to get my copy. (still tyrin to catch up)

Guest Keneton

Re: Re: HTH Rapid Fire, Auto Fire, etc.

Originally posted by Syberdwarf2

example...

This is incorrect. Please read the chapter on adding advantages to Martial arts from UMA starting on page 104. You will find the correct method there.

:)

Re: Re: Re: HTH Rapid Fire, Auto Fire, etc.

Originally posted by Keneton

This is incorrect. Please read the chapter on adding advantages to Martial arts from UMA starting on page 104. You will find the correct method there.

Hey thanx...... STILL waiting though,......

D@#% "FLGS"......

Guest Keneton

Oh I did not know that you did not have it. I should have been paying closer attention. To summarize, each Martial element has a BASE cost to which advantages are applied. A normal strike is comparative to its DC in EB.

There are rules for the base of the other elements such as Exert. But unfortunately thre is not enough time or space to spell all of it out.

Good luck to you.