The "True" Origin of Mechanon

Lord Liaden

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The "True" Origin of Mechanon

Oddhat, have you perchance read Blackwyrm Games' The Algernon Files and/or The Fires of War? What you describe sounds a lot like the origin of "The Hierophant," disciple of the extra-dimensional machine consciousness Ex Machina. Not that I'm implying your own creation isn't original (and a very cool background history too). :king:

I've thought quite a bit about how to blend elements of the Champions and Algernon universes -- they have a lot of parallels. Mechanon would be easy to substitute for the Hierophant, who after all hasn't yet been statted.

Re: The "True" Origin of Mechanon

Oddhat' date=' have you perchance read Blackwyrm Games' [i']The Algernon Files[/i] and/or The Fires of War? What you describe sounds a lot like the origin of "The Hierophant," disciple of the extra-dimensional machine consciousness Ex Machina. Not that I'm implying your own creation isn't original (and a very cool background history too). :king:

I've thought quite a bit about how to blend elements of the Champions and Algernon universes -- they have a lot of parallels. Mechanon would be easy to substitute for the Hierophant, who after all hasn't yet been statted.

Mine, as I said, was inspired more from the Virus from Stellar Games Nightlife; they were an enemy race of terminator style cyborgs with an unspecified origin. The Time Travel aspect was inspired by GURPS Creatures of the Night; time travelers who mysteriously transformed into mechanical men appropriate to their era were a monster idea that stuck with me. I mixed the two ideas with the Gray Goo scenario for nanites (the idea that a weaponized nanite could reduce the Earth to a cybernetic soup). So, HG Wells Time Traveller goes to the Gray Time, gets infected with nanites, comes back to his time, and menaces Victorian Heroes as a Clockwork Man. Pulp Era Heroes face a carrier of the infection that looks like he was built by Fritz Lang, 1950s Heroes face an Atomic version, and the heroes of today face Mechanon.

That said, I'm a big fan of the Fires of War and the Algernon Files; it just wasn't one of the sources I used for this. :)