Godzilla?

Dr. MID-Nite

Has anyone seriously tried to writeup Godzilla under the 5th Edition Hero rules? And I'm not talking about that ridiculously underpowered attempt in the Hero Bestiary(which is Beast From 20,000 Fathoms level at best). Now, there have been well over 20 movies and different writers and directors have had different interpretations, but at his core Godzilla...in my opinion....has the following qualities...

1) Enormous size: Godzilla is always portrayed between 50-100 meters tall. This implies enormous STR, CON, and BODY scores, along with any other size appropriate powers.(example:knockback resistance)

2)Near indestructibility: Define this however you want, but Godzilla easily resists tank shells, cruise missle explosions, and other highly damaging attacks. High defenses and Damage Reduction.....most likely a level of Hardened as well. The exact level is open to debate, but considering Godzilla can be hit with his own atomic ray and take relatively little damage, I'm thinking upper level here.

3) Atomic ray: Godzilla's trademark energy attack. The level of damage this can do is amazing regardless of which movies you are using as canon. At its worst, it has completely atomized opposing monsters. I'd say even at the low end, this would be an area effect RKA of at least 10d6 power, which would make it the equivalent of the Viper railgun, but on a wider scale. I'd say this would be the weakest I could see this power going.

Radioactive qualities: Godzilla has additional organs in his body that act as an organic nuclear reactor. This is where he gets the power for his atomic ray. Naturally, radiation doesn't bother him in the least. He also constantly emits radiation from his body. Again, movies vary in portraying this, but I'd say a wide scale Change environment with long lasting effects is appropriate here.

Amphibious qualities: Godzilla can survive underwater indefinitely.

Other notes: Godzilla is also able to survive intense heat, cold, and pressure with ease.

What Godzilla can't do: Godzilla cannot exist without breathing. Gas clearly affects him....as does poisons and toxins.....though the amount required to affect such a large animal makes it difficult to use this against him. It has never been categorically proven that he can exist in the vacuum of space. In the one example of Godzilla in space(Monster Zero), it is assumed the aliens put invisible air bubbles around the monsters to allow them to survive temporarily on their world. Godzilla is NOT fast, even by standards of other giant monstsers. How long Godzilla can live is unknown....though it can apparently exist in suspended animation indefinitely. I'd assume Godzilla probably has the Immortality Life Support power, but this isn't certain. Godzilla is NOT immune to mental powers, though EGO Attack seems questionable against such a huge beast. A convention of the genre is that such monsters can never be controlled for very long(unless they're the "bad" guys.) :)

I think I covered most of it. Anyone have anything to add? My opinion would be STR over 100...area of effect....area for foot....line for tail. CON 50+. Defenses in the 30-50 range...fully resistance...with Damage Reduction. PRE score through the roof. Anything I'm missing?

Rob

I haven't seen a writeup for Godzilla under 5E, although several generic "giant Japanese reptiles" have appeared in published Champions books for earlier editions of HERO, including Strike Force and the first two editions of the Bestiary. Those versions usually gave the creature Strength of between 115-125, Speed between 2-4, total Defenses running from 50 to 70 (much of it Resistant), Constitution of 60 or more, Presence of at least 50, and HKA of between 4d6 and 5d6 before STR adds. Most of these attacks had Area of Effect (One Hex, or Cone for the tail). The tail often added several dice of Hand-to-Hand Attack. The flame breath was an AoE (usually Cone) of at least 6d6; I think the SF version made it Armor Piercing as well. Also, the SF writeup added Damage Reduction.

Here's a very powerful version that Morningstar70 submitted to the CHARACTER STRING thread from the old boards. Note that it uses Growth and Density Increase Always On, which is no longer HERO canon:

----------------------------------------------

The Godzilla Stats, as translated from the Kaiju Encyclopedias...

Name: Godzilla

Val Char Cost

65/150 STR 55

18 DEX 24

80 CON 140

30/44 BODY 40

8 INT -2

18 EGO 16

50 PRE 40

2 COM -4

17/20 PD 4

17/20 ED 1

3 SPD 2

30 REC 2

160 END 0

106/120 STUN 3

Characteristic Rolls: STR: 22/39-, DEX: 13-, CON: 25-, INT: 11-, EGO: 13-, PER: 11-

Run: 6/36", Swim: 2/20", Jump: 30", Lift: 200 ton/25600 kton

Cost Powers END/Roll

30 Massive Size (30-pt reserve)

a-120 Armor (50 PD/50 ED)

b-30 Physical Invulnerability (Physical, 75% Resistant)

c-30 Energy Invulnerability (Energy, 75% Resistant)

d-73 Growth-14 (×16000 mass, ×25.3 height); Mass: 0 kg/0.00 lbs; Height: 0 cm/0"; Extra STR: 70; Knockback Reduction: -14; Extra BODY: 14; Extra STUN: 14; DCV Penalty: -9; PER Penalty: +9; Always On: -½; Reduced END: Zero & Persistent, +1 0

e-73 Stretching (15", NC: 15"); Non-Combat Multiplier: ×1, +-5; Reduced END: Zero & Persistent, +1; Conditional Power: Frequently, -½ 0

f-30 Running (+30", 36", NC: 72"); Non-Combat Multiplier: ×2, +0 12

20 Density Increase-3 (×8 mass); Mass: 0 kg/0.00 lbs; Extra PD: +3; Extra ED: +3; Extra STR: +15; Knockback: -3"; Always On: -½; Reduced END: Zero & Persistent, +1 0

5 Extra Limbs (1); Number: 1

169 5d6 HKA (Total 9d6+1); Range: 0; Area Effect (One-hex): 8 hex(es), +½; Increased Area: ×8, +¾ 17

30 Life Support (total)

10 Regeneration (1 BODY/Turn); Regenerate: Standard, +0

200 6½d6 RKA; Range: 1000; Area Effect (Cone): 20" long, +1 20

18 Swimming (+18", 20", NC: 40"); Non-Combat Multiplier: ×2, +0 4

Cost Skills, Talents, Perks Roll

15 +3 level w/HTH Combat

20 +4 level w/Ranged Combat

3 Survival 11-

3 Tracking 11-

150+ Disadvantages

25 Distinctive Features; Concealability: Not Concealable, 15; Reaction: Extreme, +10

20 Reputation (14-, Extreme)

20 Hunted: Ghidorah (11-); Capabilities: More Powerful, 15; Non-combat Influence: None, +0; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Actions: Hunting, ×1; Punishment: Harsh, 0

20 Hunted: World Militaries (14-); Capabilities: Less Powerful, 5; Non-combat Influence: Extensive, +5; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Actions: Hunting, ×1; Punishment: Harsh, 0

5 Rivalry: Other Monsters; Situation: Professional, 5; Position: Equal, +0; Rival: NPC, +0

10 Drains and Transfers (2× Effect); Attack: Uncommon, +5

10 DNPC: Baby Godzilla (Slightly Less Powerful, 11-); Skills: Normal, +0

10 DNPC: Minya (Slightly Less Powerful, 11-); Skills: Normal, +0

10 Distinctive Features:Radioactive; Concealability: Easily, 5; Reaction: Always noticed & major reaction, +5

10 Hunted: Kilaaaks (8-); Capabilities: As Powerful, 10; Non-combat Influence: None, +0; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Actions: Hunting, ×1; Punishment: Harsh, 0

15 Hunted: Gigan (11-); Capabilities: As Powerful, 10; Non-combat Influence: None, +0; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Actions: Hunting, ×1; Punishment: Harsh, 0

15 Rivalry: Mothra; Situation: Professional, 5; Position: Superior, +5; Rival: PC, +5

15 Overconfidence (Very Common, Moderate)

10 Vengeful (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Hatred of Aliens (Common, Strong)

780 Godzilla Bonus

20 Territorial, Protective of HIS territory (Common, Total)

20 Berserk: In Combat (11-, 11-, Berserk); Circumstances: Common, +10

5 Phys. Lim.: Mute (Infrequently, Slightly)

15 Phys. Lim.:Must make Dex roll to use paws for fine work (Frequently, Greatly)

OCV: 6; DCV: 6 / 0; ECV: 6; Mental Def.: 0; Phases: 4, 8, 12

PD/rPD: 70/50; ED/rED: 70/50

COSTS: Char.: 321 Disad.: 1050

Powers: + 879 Base: + 150

Total: = 1200 Total: = 1200

I think most new Champions GMs try a Godzilla knockoff as a good brawl for a team. I tried to do one in my first ever scenario as a GM back in 1982 or 1983. I figured my immense firebreathing reptile would occupy the eight or nine players for most of the evening. One of the players had a character named Thark, who was a 4-armed 10' tall green giant based on the Martians from Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom novels. Thark pulls out his sword (7d6 HKA w/STR) in the first Phase of combat, swings that meat-chopper, and takes out my Godzilla clone in one blow (Great roll, and a maxed out Stun multiplier.) End of fight, and my first excursion as a Champions GM lasted less than 15 minutes. :o

I waited a couple years before I tried again. :)

There is the Giant Dinosaur write-up in the HERO System Bestiary on page 190-191. There are options to give the 200 foot tall dinosaur radioactive eyebeams and the like. I think that is as close as you will see to a Godzilla write-up until DOJ decides to write-up the creatures from Monster Island.

Monolith -- I once ran that Giant Monster Dinosaur, /with/ eyebeams, up against a 350-point brick who was built with the special-effect of "kinetic energy control".

The dinosaur knocked itself out attempting a Move-Through... and the brick activated his -10" Knockback Resistance slot.

I then threw Lazer, Steel Commando, and Mechassassin -- and never mind that those three would kill each other -- at said brick (White Knight) simultaneously. They were humiliatingly destroyed.

I then closed the playtest and went "No, that Absorption / Damage Reduction combo you came up with is not balanced with the rest of the party."

(Granted, it's being used in the campaign I'm currently in, but what destroys games at the 350-point level is just enough to let you survive at the 750-point "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" level.)

Guest Keneton

I will be running Champions on Monster Island at Origins. It is likely that Zorgathra and Mega-Terak will grace DH shortly thereafter. I con only tell you that I had to use poster board for their stand up paper counters!

:D

Originally posted by Trebuchet

I think most new Champions GMs try a Godzilla knockoff as a good brawl for a team. I tried to do one in my first ever scenario as a GM back in 1982 or 1983. I figured my immense firebreathing reptile would occupy the eight or nine players for most of the evening. One of the players had a character named Thark, who was a 4-armed 10' tall green giant based on the Martians from Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom novels. Thark pulls out his sword (7d6 HKA w/STR) in the first Phase of combat, swings that meat-chopper, and takes out my Godzilla clone in one blow (Great roll, and a maxed out Stun multiplier.) End of fight, and my first excursion as a Champions GM lasted less than 15 minutes. :o

I waited a couple years before I tried again. :)

I hope that you have learned the valuable GM tool of "If the fight is going too easy, add STUN to the villains" since then. :D

Here's a quickie Godzilla. It should cover almost all the bases.

150	Str	140
14	Dex	12
75	Con	130
50	Body	80
10	Int	0
23	Ego	26		
80	Pre	70
10	Com	0
50	PD	20
50	ED	35		
4	SPD	16
45	Rec	0
150	End	0
163	Stun	0

End
120	3/4 DR Physical and Energy	
30	Power Defense 30 pts	
20	Mental Defense 25 pts	
15	Sight Flash Defense 15 pts	
60	30" Knockback resistance	
10	Lack of Weakness 10 pts	
62	50 PD 50 ED Damage Resistance Hardened	
50	Full Life Support	
25	Hardened on 50 PD 50 ED	
75	15d6 Energy Absorption 1/3 to Body/End/Stun

120	EC Godzilla Powers	
120	10d6 RKA cone No Range	
69	32" Stretching, 0 end No Noncombat Stretching
Always Direct, No Velocity Damage	
120	Running +80" 0 End	

225	Area Effect on 150 Str 0 End	

Characterstics cost 529
Powers cost 1121

Total cost 1650

Originally posted by Supreme Serpent

I hope that you have learned the valuable GM tool of "If the fight is going too easy, add STUN to the villains" since then. :D

Oh yeah. And Damage Reduction. :D

Seriously, I got better as a Champs GM when I remembered that the purpose of the exercise is to entertain the players. This is interactive fiction. Nobody gets excited by an easy win, so our best (most memorable) fights are the ones where at the end of the battle half our team is face down on the tarmac and the other half is standing over their unconscious adversaries on wobbly knees. (Even with a 12 REC, it seems like Zl'f never finishes a battle with more than 3 or 4 STUN left.)

In my recent battle using the Mechanon knockoffs, the first Combat Drone robot put three of our heroes down in as many Phases. Then they got back up and, along with the other two characters who were previously protecting innocents, collectively kicked his butt. By the time the second drone arrived, the first one was down to 11 STUN.

Ah yes...you're quite right. I have blasphemied myself in front of the altar of Godzilla by forgetting to include an absorption power. Forgive me....oh mighty King of the Monsters! :)

Seriously, thanks for the replies. I'm a big Godzilla fan and was curious for opinions. I have seen the Hero Beastiary version...but really...does anyone think that's anywhere near Godzilla's power level? Old school Minira....MAYBE, but otherwise...even Godzilla Jr. would be tougher than that.

Rob

Originally posted by Dr. MID-Nite

Seriously, thanks for the replies. I'm a big Godzilla fan and was curious for opinions. I have seen the Hero Beastiary version...but really...does anyone think that's anywhere near Godzilla's power level? Old school Minira....MAYBE, but otherwise...even Godzilla Jr. would be tougher than that.

I agree completely, and that rather surprised me. Considering the power level of some of the characters created since FREd came out, I would have thought that Steve Long would have no qualms with creating a "giant dinosaur" at least as mighty as the version in the earlier editions of the Bestiary.

FWIW the closest DoJ has come to a Godzilla-class juggernaut is probably Shirak the Destructor, a 400-foot tall Lemurian golem with highly destructive "mystic eyebeams" written up in Conquerors, Killers and Crooks at 1,417 Character Points. While elements of it might provide a useful template for Godzilla's abilities, IMHO even Shirak is a bit lightweight compared to the King of All Monsters. :)

Guest Keneton

Official news

I WILL be writing up Zorgathra and Mega Terak and possibly other monsters for Champions on Monster Island, an adventure that will run at Origins and possibly at Gen Con. I hav asked permission for these write ups to be official and even pitched including them in a supplement to Darren and Steve.

Steve reserves the right to trump my write up but will allow their publication in DH. I will try and get a teaser version of a minor monster posted on this site.

As for my Canon, I find that Godzilla has more than one version. A good site for information on Toho monsters is below.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/

I did state that the movies vary in the big G's portrayal. I was simply looking for a consensus on the abilities that are core to Godzilla. In other words, abilities that would be shared by them all...regardless of movie. Generally, I think the wonderful folks on this board covered most bases....even reminding me of his radiation fetish.(Absorption)

Rob

Sounds to me like a use of Power Skill with his flame breath. I don't think it's been used very often in his history, so Power Skill ought to cover it.

There have been other rare tricks the Big G has pulled with his energy powers, such as melting the steel cables binding his jaws and across his fins in Godzilla 2000 (a personal favorite). Methinks there's enough justification to add that Skill to his character sheet.

As far as Godzilla's height is concerned, it depends on which

version of Big G you're talking about. If you're talking about

the pre-timeline change version, then 30 stories (300 feet) is

just about right. If, on the other hand, you're talking about

the post-timeline change version then Big G's height would be

closer to 60 stories (600 feet) (as a result of Godzilla being

created years later than he was originally, and with a modern

nuclear weapon to boot).

Now as far as "Stupid Godzilla Tricks" are concerned, I can only

think of one really weird stunt that Big G pulled in one of the

pre-timeline change movies: somehow magnetizing himself and

using that power to pull MechaGodzilla towards him just prior

to popping open a 24-pack of Kaiju Whoopass on it.

Space Cadet :cool: