Your first Champs character.

tabascojunkie

Iwas just wondering who everyone's first Champions character was. Mine was John Jaspers from the Faust comic. He was an absolute raving psycopath and very deadly in combat. Him and two others were hired to kill David Duke and make it look like Dan Quale (did I spell that right?) did it. I think that also dates when our first games took place. Anyway, it was a lot of fun playing a lunatic.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first Champions character was Glacier, anIceman type, but his powers were less controlled. When active his powers contantly generated ice around his skin and would calve off icebergs. Eventually he would be immobilized by around kgs of ice and would have to shut his powers off for a time. The GM captured him and put an explosive belt on him to force him to commit crimes, Glacier intentionally blew himself up instead.

My first Champs character was called Nimbus. He was a brilliant scientist with teleport, telekinesis, glider wings and an electric sword, but suffered from claustrophobia. He had INT 30, DEX 15, and all his other primary chars were 10. He had PD and ED of 2 each and no other defences. He was half killed by a villain called Brick in the scenario that came in the boxed set - an assault on a Viper nest.

My first Champs character was "the Silencer," a borderline psycho who was a street-level hero and who had only one power: he had a 1" field around him from which no sound could escape. It produced some creepy effects (pummling the crap out of a thug with his friend(s) watching, but without a sound coming from a process that should obviously have included some very wet and squishy noises) but was essentially useless except for helpng him sneak around.

This was in the middle of a campaign with some serious heavy-hitters. Luckily we switched campaigns before too long and I came up with Speedball...

Skads. It's been so long that I can't really remember. It was 1986 and I seem to recall that he was an energy projector but beyond that I can't really say.

Most memorable was Temper a flying guy with a Variable Special Effect energy sword. He was pretty boring in combat -a true one tactic wonder- but I had fun with his personality.

Ah, the memories ... way back in my college Freshman days, I met up with the college gaming group, and someone was running a Supers game called 'Champions', which I had never heard of before in my life. Lacking any real idea of what there was to do, I translocated my last Marvel Superheroes character, a werewolf with sonic/vibro powers.

Hey, it's better than translocating a D'n'D character, at least, isn't it? ;)

However, the team already had a sonic, so we switched it to Fire/Heat/Plasma stuff. I had to concoct a somewhat convoluted character background, involving a mutant biochemist who was bitten by a werewolf whom he was trying to cure. Thus was Firewolf born.

Darn nostalgia. Now I want to remake him for 5E. :)

1987, while serving in the Navy

My first character was Black Cheetah. He was an african-american man who made a faustian deal to save his children. He was given superspeed, but made a "hellish" enemy when he decided in defiance not to go the villain route. His first scenario was that Wings of the Valkyrie(?) adventure; the one that was taken off the shelves and is now quite rare to find. Fun stuff. I recall Hitler not being too thrilled with being saved by a black man.

I miss that character. I need to remake him for 5th ed.

My first character was a powered armor guy named Ranger. I originally named him Green Dragon (before I realized there was a supervillain of the same name). My original version of him had 4 SPD, 18 DEX, 18 CON, claws (HKA), 60 STR, and about 40 PD & ED. The villainous Green Dragon came after my character; apparently he had issues. After my character stomped the bad one without even breaking a sweat, he decided to change his name to Ranger. I dumped the claws at the same time, but Ranger remained a SPD 4, low DEX character until I retired him (I eventually bought his DEX up to 20, plus he had 5 Overall Levels.) His defenses continued to climb, until at his peak he was 62 PD/58 ED, almost entirely Hardened and Resistant. I played Ranger for about 6 years until he'd accrued 125 XP, then retired him 1n 1987 to run a ninja.

Lots of good memories with Ranger. :)

Re: Your first Champs character.

Originally posted by tabascojunkie

Iwas just wondering who everyone's first Champions character was. Mine was John Jaspers from the Faust comic. He was an absolute raving psycopath and very deadly in combat. Him and two others were hired to kill David Duke and make it look like Dan Quale (did I spell that right?) did it. I think that also dates when our first games took place. Anyway, it was a lot of fun playing a lunatic.

1984? (Maybe - it's been a long time).

Turbo. A speedster with absolutely no offensive powers (I just didn't think about it - I revised the character a bit after the firet time I actually played the game).

John Desmarais

I've been GMing Champions since 1990. I've gotten to play once or twice at conventions, but since I didn't make those characters, I don't count them.

Though I've loved Champions since I first bought the 4th Ed Hero System Book (and later the BBB), the first chance I've had to play a character of my design and in a campaign setting started this last October.

That character? Dr. Anomaly, of course...your friendly neighborhood scientiest-sorceror! :cool:

The first character that I played in a Champions campaign was Professor Plasma, your basic energy projector -- nuclear physicist in his normal identity. While not true, it was rumored that the somewhat absent-minded Dr. Matthews gained his powers by accidentally wandering into the experimental cyclotron instead of the men's room.

Rod

Guest WhammeWhamme

The first character I *built*?

Erm. Power Armour. That's all I can remember.

First I *played*?

Sod. No idea. Wasn't very memorable.

(This is sad. I'm one of the newest RPers here...)

Funny, I can still remember my first Champs character even though I haven't seen the sheet or played him in ages. Funny thing is that when he was fairly benign if not boring in my first campaign, but when I brought him into the games in college, he wasn't received so well, I suspect. Maybe it was the sardonic chanting from the other players, "Kill Ra! Maim Ra! Ra, Ra, Ra!"

They were just jealous.

Ra was a Police lieutenant who was an amature archeologist that just happened to find a magic scarab necklace. He had light powers, and was basically an energy projector with flight, forcefield, invisibility and an attack that was constantly being rewritten.

As one of the other players would tease, "yeah you need to beef up Ra a bit, he's hard to see, hard to hit, hard to hurt, and has an incredible energy blast." In truth, I think he had the one of the highest dex's, the largest forcefield, and invisibility. But hey, he did have more than one skill: detective work AND archeology.

My first Champions character

A duplicator--two forms--with the rather obvious name of Gemini. Fairly fast, flew and had an energy blast (justification unknown). Costume was a rip-off of the original black-and-white outfit worn by Alpha Flight's Aurora (I only had a black pen to color in the picture with). Her duplicate, Dreamer, was a jack-of-all-trades psychic, with a little of this, a little of that and a LOT of mental illusions. Of course, this was back when duplicates had to be _exactly_ like the original...but we apparently missed that bit in the book.

Following this experience, I tried running a Champions game of my own...the 3rd Ed rulebook was pale blue and very slim. Unfortunately, I hadn't realized that regular attacks--say a 10d6 Energy Blast--did BODY as well as STUN. My PCs repeatedly attacked their foe, a villain called Absolute Zero, doing massive dice of damage, but they just couldn't kill her--because I hadn't read the rules on damage carefully enough, and didn't know that there was supposed to be a little BODY associated with all those dice of STUN.

Finally, in frustration, one of my more murderously-inclined players had her character pick up a pointy stick and hammer it into the downed foe's head. And her question to me: "So tell me, does that finally do some REAL damage?"

I've always tinkered. The first true character I built?

Dr. Tomarrow (think that's what I called him)

Time travelling (currently stuck) mastermind who did talk shows and used his gagets and powers to capture villans.

I had to pick a character who had Aid/Drain based powers right off to bat, didn't I? Heh. :D

My first character was . . . Ghost Archer, 1982. I still play him, obviously. It took me years to make a second character, Icehawk and still more years before I created Psion. Of all the characters I have ever made, only four are actually my own PC's. I never went through a 'character of the week' phase. I do, however, have a lot of NPC's that I use as a GM that have almost become PC's to me.

Originally posted by Caped Crusader

The first character I played in a campaign was named Recoil...In fact, I converted him to 5th Edition recently.

Let's see him CC!!

My first character was made when I was 13 (1985) and heavily influenced by three things: He-Man, Thundercats & Martial Arts (girls came along the following year and all else faded away, except martial arts).

Champions was actually the first RPG I had ever played. I had heard of D&D and the crazy stories about people who played them too much. I enjoyed cartoons about Superheroes and I had read a few comics, but I had never gotten into collecting them. Champions seemed harmless enough. So my first character was created in a sit-down with the GM. I had decided that I wanted to play an animal-based character (like Spidey and his Rogue's Gallery) with Martial Arts. Thus was born FE-LION!!! In the first game, just hours after making the character, the GM who had helped me make the guy killed him with his favorite villan (a hunter with a 30.06 full of phospherous rounds). I never played in that guy's game again, but I was hooked by the system and this new form of imaginative expression I had been introduced to.

In 4th Edition, this character resurfaced as Scratch, revealing that he had only been /mostly/ dead after the sniper's cowardly attack and he was now training young heroes in the alleys and rooftops of Hudson City. Of course, he allowed no guns to be used during the training sessions and he was used as a justification for more than one Dark Champions hero in our campaigns to have Danger Sense or Enhanced PER.

Sorry about the long post...

First Characters

My first Champions character was a one or two shot character named Titian. He was a stretching, Martial Artist with some good strength and a set of claws (don't ask I was really young). He almost killed the first villian he ran into, then stretch running to the hospital. The name was misspelled because I couldn't remember if Titan had an "a" or an "i" in it, so I mistakenly used both. The backstory for his name was the cub reporter that saw the fight misspelled the word. =] Titian made a come back years later as an energy stretching Martial Artist (arms didn't stretch, but he had a force field that did) and his personality changed a bit.

I've been wracking my brain to recall, but can't.

[EDIT! THAT'S IT! I FINALLY REMEMBERED]

My first was a transplant from Superhero 2044, a dimensional traveler named EXILE who was a king in his world, now banished. He had a vague resemblance to Thanos (All my early characters had a vague resemblance to a marvel character), and carried a spiked ball & chain that had stretching powers--he could swing it out great distances and nail people. I don't recall his other powers, though I'm sure he had STR and an EB of some kind in addition to the spiked ball.