Pole Vaulting

Static UK

Okay, I'm designing an athete based character and I have a few sporting rules related questions.

First off, how to do Pole Vaulting? :confused:

I think it should be extra inches of leaping with an OAF, perhaps also 'only with a suitable surface'. He is probably going to carry a telescopic pole (also usable as a staff for combat purposes). But what I was wondering, is how do you determine the amount of inches? How do you determine how big a pole needs to be to clear a specific height (I'm interested in this because he may have to use objects of oppertunity when he can't use his 'pole')?

I had a character with a 6-foot staff, which he could use for extra reach, extra damage, and extra leaping. I figured it would add its own size to the leaping ability, so, in his case, it was one hex. Since vertical leap costs double, I gave him +2" of extra Leaping.

Your athlete's telescopic pole will probably be about three times that long, so I'd got with a +6" or so.