Animal Motifs for Supers

Hermit

Every once in awhile, I end up wanting to make an animal motif superhero or villain. The problem, of course, is finding ones that are cool (nifty powers, good image ... sheep man just doesn't work... that sort of thing) but haven't been over done or cornered on the market too much. Tricky.

So, I thought I'd ask others on this board what animals they used or liked to use for such?

My own thoughts?

Cats never go out of style, domestic or Big varieties....

Dogs just don't have the same 'coolness' factor, but wolves and foxes can and do.

Birds= Raptors are in, canaries are usually out (Though, female characters with a sonic 'song' go by lark or other such names quite often)

If there's an Ostrich man, I don't know of him.

Insects and Arachnids vary.... Spiders are very cool, but it's hard to top or get away from Spider-Man clones while still having that theme. Scorpions maybe? I mean, bad guys don't count so.. ;) Ant was done well by the Freedom Force game... I don't think I'd WANT the powers of a dung beetle.

Fish-Sharks make great villains....rays are just cool.... but Tuna doesn't inspire much dread in anyone unless you're allergic or can't stand the smell. Octopus seem well covered thanks to a certain doctor, maybe a squid?

Whales/Dolphins- Dolphins and Killer Whales get some show time in comics.... not sure there are any whale related villains heroes (Well, Monstro and the like as summoned followers maybe).

Bears= Good Brick imagry.

Snakes- Only problem, in the CU everyone sees the scales and screams "He works for VIPER, get him!" ;)

I like animal motifs which is odd since I don't like or allow anthropomorphic animals.

Hummingbird, a shrinking and flying hero

Hornet, high-tech with good weaponry

Redwood, a growth-oriented hero (okay technically a tree, but whatever)

Stingray, nice choice

Bengal, as in the tiger (I'll let ya use it lol)

Don't forget Ant-Man, Yellowjacket, the Wasp, HAWKeye, Black Panther, some other avengers I'm sure, Hawkman and Hawkgirl, Wildcat, Hellcat, Nighthawk (a type of owl actually), Catman, Wild Dog or Dingo, Hyena, Sphinx (not exactly an animal but you get the idea), Beast, Wolverine, Shadowcat, angelic names for winged characters. There's some good ones.

And of course, Sheep Man: The Man who can turn you into a sheep.

Just off the top of my head...

Lizards and crocks and the like - Komodo Dragon, Gila Monster (one of two poinsonous lizards). A quick look online can find other types of crocks (Cayman, Gahrial - the latter a type from India). Names are often trickier than the powers - trying to find something not overdone - and using a more unusual one can make an international character making an opening for an interesting background.

Names aren't all either. Watch the discovery channel a bit or snoop on web pages. Look at spiders for example - there's one called the trap door spider. A super villain or hero based on this may have a dimensional gate power and tunneling - nothing like the "classic" Spider-man powers! In fact about the only things they'd have in common are web (for lining burrows and wrapping prey in the trap door type) and venom (which Spider-man doesn't mimic with a power anyway).

The internet is wide open. Pick an animal - even a pig or something laughable and you can probably make a decent villain. The amazine Aardvark! The heroes are so busy laughing they are caught short as he rips them open with lethal aardvark claws then digs away...

Re: Animal Motifs for Supers

Originally posted by Hermit

So, I thought I'd ask others on this board what animals they used or liked to use for such?

Big cats, ranging from simple, Cougar, to more exotic, the Ebony Lion.

Raptors, Hawks and Falcons mainly. Gyrfalcon, Goshawk, Steelhawk.

We did have "Dog Boy" for a while, but the guy got fed up with the abuse...

That Flying Squirrel Guy (powered armor guy)and Combat Wombat (martial artist with guns) were two of the most ... esoteric.

Very serious characters, very silly names.

D

I hear lemmings have great teamwork skills, but you just have to control their leader.

I've been thinking about something dog related. Not wolf related, but more like a junyard dog kind of thing, but I couldn't think of a good name ("Junyard Dog" is a little too 'wrestling' for my campaign; Mutt; Fang; "Canis" is a little too "wolf" like). I'll think of one eventually.

Originally posted by Blue

I've been thinking about something dog related. Not wolf related, but more like a junyard dog kind of thing, but I couldn't think of a good name ("Junyard Dog" is a little too 'wrestling' for my campaign; Mutt; Fang; "Canis" is a little too "wolf" like). I'll think of one eventually.

The comic Wildguard (amusing book BTW) has a hero "Red Rover" who has red outfit/"dog powers".

Originally posted by Kzinbane

Look at spiders for example - there's one called the trap door spider. A super villain or hero based on this may have a dimensional gate power and tunneling - nothing like the "classic" Spider-man powers! In fact about the only things they'd have in common are web (for lining burrows and wrapping prey in the trap door type) and venom (which Spider-man doesn't mimic with a power anyway).

Trapdoor Spiderman

Someone did lyrics at one point, but I haven't found those.

Good stuff here, one of my favorite types of heroes.

Arachnids: I have a Silver Age scorpion based Spider-Man knock off called The Sting. A teenager vacationing in Las Vegas is stung by a scorpion irradiated by atomic testing. He gains the strength, invulnerability and abilities of a scorpion. He creates a 'stingline' (as teenagers of the time were known to do), a telescopic metal tendril with a paralytic poison delivery system and a cable claw that allows him to swing from building to building. My character Tarantula (the DC one) has a number of insect motiffed villains in his Rogue's Gallery. Trapdoor, a spider motiff villain that creates wormholes and favors sneak attacks. Another is Wasp Woman, cosmetic magnate that uses phermones to control men and wasps (based on a roger Corman flick). Finally there's Portia, which is a genus of wolf spider know for their cunning, a femme fatale ex-spy.

Canines: I had another roofrunner character called the Fox. He was the son of the heroine White Rabbit (A Black Canary type who could create warpholes) and the silver age Fox. His weapon was the Foxglove (gadget gauntlet) with fired the Foxtail (swingline) and Foxfire (flash). Like his mother, he could open warps, which he called 'foxholes'. His battle cry was Tallyho! As an alternative to the fox/wolf standards, I always thought Mastiff and Foxhound/Wolfhound could be cool themes.

Felines: I have a villain team called the Pride (which I had help creating via these boards): Siberian (Brick), Tomcat (Flying Power Armor), Snow Leopard (Ice Guy), Boots (cute girl gadgeteer), and Lioness (avatar of Sehkmet, Egyptian lion-headed goddess of war).

No one mentioned equines: Mustang, Bronco, Warhorse, Palamino...how about a St. Louis based hero named Clydesdale :P

I highly recommend Animal Planet/Discovery Channel. Anyone know that platapus have poisonous stingers that produce one of the most painful venoms in the world. And I'm still going to do something with Funnelweb, named for the deadliest spider in the world.

As far as sheep...how about Counting Sheep, the sleep inducing villain!

This thread has reminded me of my Timberwolf (not original name by any means, AND a Batman rip-off to boot!) character. I never finished writing him up other than his background. One member of his rogues' gallery was Mockingbird, a Catwoman clone with a nutty theme (kinda like a less-brutal Joker or a more serious Foxbat).

Cat

Dog related super?

Hmmm. Yeah when you think about it using cats is cool - Ocelot, Tiger, Puma, etc. Dogs... Wolf (cool) Coyote (been done) Jackal, Dingo? heh. The cat's certainly win on this one. One could use PittBull or Mastif or something as a character name and not be laughed at too much I would think.

Beware the amazing Dachshund! Ze French Poodle woman shall snap you up....

Stick with cats.

Hmm. I'd rather have cat-like reflexes than dog-like reflexes.

But that's just me.

Pound for pound, the most ferocious predator in all of nature is the amoeba. But that doesn't make it a good college mascot or motif for a superhero.

Some animals are blessed with positive reputations that can be easily leveraged into a good motif for superheroes. Cats, wolves, raptors and loads of other hunter/killers make the best candidates. The rule of thumb is that the higher you are on the food chain, the better it'll work.

Pandas and reindeer don't work so well. Doesn't take a lot of brain power to sneak up on bamboo and lichen. No mystique in it at all.

Familiarity also helps. Everyone knows about lions and tigers, and so there are countless school mascots that bank on those reputations as fierce killing machines. Pound for pound, civets may be better hunters, but you aren't going to find any civets on your school's schedule. But you'll probably find at least one lion and at least one tiger.

$0.02

Re: Dog related super?

Originally posted by Kzinbane

Hmmm. Yeah when you think about it using cats is cool - Ocelot, Tiger, Puma, etc. Dogs... Wolf (cool) Coyote (been done) Jackal, Dingo? heh. The cat's certainly win on this one. One could use PittBull or Mastif or something as a character name and not be laughed at too much I would think.

Beware the amazing Dachshund! Ze French Poodle woman shall snap you up....

Stick with cats.

No, that's the point. Anyone can make a cat superhero! It's been done to death. Wolves, bats, etc. I picture someone a little scraggly, a guy that nobody figures for a threat. It's interesting that I have no powers in mind yet and no picture drawn or costume thought up, yet I'm interested in this. That's rare.

Damnit, I keep coming up with new things to do. Wish I could just finish something!

(I'm also thinking of the names STRAY and MAD DOG in addition to BLOODHOUND. Jeez...suddenly I have a whole kennel.)

Originally posted by Supreme Serpent

The comic Wildguard (amusing book BTW) has a hero "Red Rover" who has red outfit/"dog powers".

I was going to mention him! That is such a fun series.

Red Rover (Demonstrating His super senses):"Adheasor has stuck himself to a wall and...*sniff*...someone's breakfast is not agreeing with them."

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Doug McCrae

My all-time favourite character was called Dog Girl. She believed (incorrectly) that she'd got her powers from being bitten by a radioactive dog.

This is probably a good time to bring up Savage...

Bitten by a radioactive werewolf....

I'll leave it there. :)

Well, I did create a villian using a hummingbird motif. A left-handed hummingbird motif.

The corresponding hero was based off a winged snake. Haven't done anything with the jaguar or eagle yet. ;)

Cats are kind of overdone.

I'm suprised that the firebird motif hasn't been mentioend yet

Despite being vegetarians bulls and rhinos make good motifs

Mad Dog apperared in Marvel,

the Amoeba Brothers (though ineffective) appear in the Power Puff Girls.

You could have a horsey sidekick and name it Colt if it is male and Filly if it is female.

id lump Firebird in with Bird general motif.

But to go exotic get in the whole Sphinx mystique!

besides ignore the reindeer/deer thing and go with "the Horned Man" (druidical type character)

However any critter motifed super dud from Boulder CO I would insult by calling it Prarie Dog.

Perhaps Catobleas Man? (- PRE, and the one-shot stoning ability from the fantasy Basilisk)

Steal from Heraldic symbiology that should ge your motors really going.

As I've mentioned in other threads, my first Champions character was Black Cheetah, a staff-wielding speedster.

In my current campaign world (not the canon Champions Universe), I've created several aminal motifilations.

Bulldog. The third person to use this name. All three have been scrappers/martial artists. The first one was a WW2 hero, the second one in the Silver Age, and the third one is current.

Crimson Spider. Martially artistic former government spy/agent. Has some limited gadgets in addition to his fighting prowess.

Bast. Named after the Egyptian goddess. Uses several cat motif powers.

Scorpio. Member of my Western Zodiac villain team. The scorpion motif is somewhat of a stretch but it works for me. Along with Scorpio, there are several other members that demonstrate animal motifs to certain extents.

All 12 members of my villainous Eastern Zodiac team.

Pirhana. a man from Atlantis.

Jaguar Knight. Aztec warrior/hero.

Kodiak. Haven't done much with stats yet. Just thought it would be a cool name for a bricky hero.

Red Bear. Historic, Golden Age Soviet brick.

Mako. One of my player's alternate characters. He's a scientist bitten by a radioactive shark. Betcha can't guess who his favorite comic book character is.

Lion Rampant. Okay, this one doesn't really count. He's a (deceased) Brit with power armor. The lion rampant symbol adorned his breastplate.

Insecta. An unfortunate victim of the malevolent mad scientist Doctor Hephaestus. She'll never be a super model again.

Black Widow. She's a martial artist/ninja with a couple gadgets to help her along the way.

Spider Monkey and Mosquito of Los Asesinos. I've rewritten and updated the group and characters for use in my world.

Iron Dragon. I'm not sure this one counts. A martial artist.

Phoenix. Another mythological critter motif. Flame on.

Interesting. I've got more animal motif characters than I realized when I started writing this post. In fact, looking through my database of characters, the animals are a sizable portion. And I didn't even include The Swarm, a gang of insect-motif villains that play around only in the back of my mind.