Super Pope?

farik

In Marvel comics, it is revealed in the future that the Asgardians and Olympians are not gods, but rather powerful aliens who were thought to be gods. Thought to be, and therefore acted as gods. Each of these alien beings was formless, without definition, until someone believed the to be something or believed them to be something else. When the human who would become Odin saw the Asgardians, and told them who they were, then they were who they were told they were. So it was with the Olympians.

I think it would be a mistake to relate the same origin to a church in the real modern world. But making, say, a Catholic-powered superbeing, I think that's probably OK.

Well in my champion game, slated for take off this Sat btw. One of our chars is the reincarnation of Joan of Arc, a Demi-brick with access to a few miracles of her own.

We also have a Psionic Buddist Priest in the group as well.

So I have no prob with faith based chars or herotypes. It's always interesting to see how the Druid, Crusader, Hindu and Greek God all work out their various differences.

and btw...hero from the Holy See, smallest indenpent countries in the world....hmmm I think I have an idea for my first LOGIC Reserve member. *S*

I have two characters put together for an Avengers-level team and both are divinely inspired, one is Dr. Zeus, based on the character I played in a now defunct SAS game- he's the half breed youngest son of Zeus and a fae woman. Has Herakles as a contact(half brother), is hunted by Hera and Hades and has a really messed up desire to make his father acknowledge him- has done real stupid things in past to get his attention, whether in good way or not. The other is Ankh, an extremely powerful mutant whose powers emerged when he was trapped in a crypt dedicated to the god Ra and found a magical ankh that awakened Ra, who then released the young man's latent powers to control and project solar energies. He also uses the ankh as a powerful weapon that returns to his hand when thrown and provides him with Danger Sense while held. He has Ra as a contact and Set and his agents as a hunted(unlike Ra, Set never went to sleep and has built himself quite the physical world powerbase). Ankh is also watched by the RCC due to his contention that he was empowered by Ra and now worships him(but does not promote worship of the god to others).

• 1 year later...

Re: Super Pope?

So in your super hero campaign world does the Pope have Super powers?
I hadn't thought about it till I looked at the thread, but of course the Pope might have superpowers.

I was very disappointed as a player when he didn't.

The super-heroes were engaged in a war with vampires in Sydney Australia, and just when the war came to a head the Pope came out here for a visit. All right! We had the gadgetry to give him an armoured super-pope-mobile: flying, holy water-spraying, powerful lights, booming loud-speakers, you name it.

Nobody doubted that John Paul II would be holy enough and strong-willed enough to give all this equipment maximum effect. "Listen to il Papa: In the name of Christ, all demons - DIE!" Vampires and demonic powers - for you, judgment day has come early!

The players were all laughing, happy, excited, and fully confident. The gamemaster said no. What a letdown!

Of course it might depend on the quality of the next Pope. They vary. But with this one - nobody had any doubt that bringing in the Pope to fight for our side would be like dropping the Holy Bomb. Maybe ice powers and kung fu couldn't do much to the Undead, but ... (laughing) it should have happened. As a gamemaster, I would say yes.

I tend to avoid bringing religion directly into play, because it can to easily hurt feelings....take for example the issue at hand, does the pope have super powers? If yes does that mean all protestants are wrong and the pope is infallable? Jeez this kind of stuf can escalate to the "let's take this outside "stage in a hurry.....it's only going to go well if everyone agrees with the conclustions, otherwise feelings are going to get hurt...even if they don't say anything...YMMV

I tend to avoid bringing religion directly into play' date=' because it can to easily hurt feelings....take for example the issue at hand, does the pope have super powers? If yes does that mean all protestants are wrong and the pope is infallable? Jeez this kind of stuf can escalate to the "let's take this outside "stage in a hurry.....it's only going to go well if everyone agrees with the conclustions, otherwise feelings are going to get hurt...even if they don't say anything...YMMV[/quote']

In a world of superheroes I don't think it would mean anything. In Marvel everyone doesn't worship the Norse Gods. If the Vatican selected a Pope who had powers that appeared to be devine there would be those that believe he empowered by God and those that believe the Vatican simply selected him to be Pope because he had super powers. No questions are really answered.

If a world had a long history of super powers then odds are royal families would also have super powers.

In a world of superheroes I don't think it would mean anything. In Marvel everyone doesn't worship the Norse Gods. If the Vatican selected a Pope who had powers that appeared to be devine there would be those that believe he empowered by God and those that believe the Vatican simply selected him to be Pope because he had super powers. No questions are really answered.

If a world had a long history of super powers then odds are royal families would also have super powers.

True enough...but thats an example where people can agree on the assumptions, "the pope is a super, divine power and all" contains an assumption that is differant from the current pope happens to be a super, it's "OK" if the champain never makes it clear but if the players and GM are taking this as a given, then bad things are a commin.....a devout catholic might well be offended by the explanation given, he or she might well assume that the pope as the vicar of god has powers Because he's the pope, this is just looking for trouble....you might not ever find it, but its still foolish to go looking. I met plenty of persons who make absolute assumptions based on their faith that reflect in their games...as long as its not too strident I can go along, otherwise its "adios" with no hard feelings....

Well, along those lines, does the President of the United States have super powers? The Prime Minister of Great Britan? How about the Dlai Lama? I myself prefer to leave them as they are in the real world. There are enough supers running around to take the spotlight away from the PCs. I don't need to make it worse by making famous, powerful, real world people into supers as well. Besides, where's the fun in having the PCs show up to save the Pope from some super villian only to have him jump up and kick butt without their help? From a more serious, religious, standpoint. I feel the whole point to the Christian religion is faith. Handing down superpowers to Christain followers kinda undermines that faith IMHO. I do like the idea of supers who have strong religious convictions. It's a little frustraiting that the comic book industry overlooks that concept. I'm also one of those player/GMs who would be a little offended by the idea of casting the Pope as some sort of superpowered NPC. If his powers are actually handed down from God, it really does sort of "stat" our Lord. Even if you aren't really giving Him stats, you are putting him in the same boat as fictional gods like Thor and Horus. And if you define a super powered Pope as a deluded mutant or gadgeted super spy, you're being rather disrespectful. I'm Lutheran myself, but I still have great respect for the Pope. Well, that's my 2 cents anyway.

BTW, I saw on the news just as I logged in that the Pope passed away a little while ago. I give my most heartfelt condolences.

in the last game I GMed, the team magician

had for his disads "DNPC Father: Exorcist"

his father had super powers, and fought demons

and such for the church.

needless to say he was quite disappointed when

his son learned arcane magic as well as divine

and decided to fight crime in general.

MUCH worse, the son also adopted a public/secret ID

much like zatanna of being a stage magician.

So yes, in a supers world the church would have its own

movers and shakers, and it probably wouldnt be the

main man himself.

One thing people tend to forget about Catholicism: According to their doctrine (or is it dogma? Can someone tell us which?), only the Pope is infallible, and that only when he is speaking ex cathedra, "from the Throne," which he very rarely does; the last time was, I believe, over one hundred years ago.

Guest Champsguy

To the last moment of his life he seemed to me to be an invincible champion. Goodbye' date=' John Paul II. I have no more to say on this.[/quote']

Hello? I'm still here. I've been posting under this username the last few years. Now I've finally decided to use my real pic as my avatar.

Guest Champsguy

One thing people tend to forget about Catholicism: According to their doctrine (or is it dogma? Can someone tell us which?)' date=' only the Pope is infallible, and that only when he is speaking ex cathedra, "from the Throne," which he very rarely does; the last time was, I believe, over one hundred years ago.[/quote']

That and when I'm posting on the Hero Rules Discussion boards.

Dude, Jews and Christians believe in the same god.....

So the Christians keep saying. But to those outside, it seems that the Jews and Moslems are saying that there is just one God, and the Christians say that Christ is as much God as God the Father.

Guest Champsguy

So the Christians keep saying. But to those outside' date=' it seems that the Jews and Moslems are saying that there is just one God, and the Christians say that Christ is as much God as God the Father.[/quote']

God is like a Quintesson. Three persons/one God.

No' date=' but there was a Pope John Paul II comic book I remember seeing when I was a kid.[/quote']

Me too. I remember reading it when I was dressed up to be a mini-swiss guard as part of the P.R. for his 1st Philippine visit... I was like... 10 when that happened...

Barry Sadler did a whole series of books about the spearman who killed christ on the cross at the end, who was then cursed to walk the earth til judgement day, very skilled mercenary who couldnt die, they were titled Casca, and there were 21 or more books, I inherited the whole set when a friend moved and didnt have room for them

The Pope doesn't need superpowers. So what if Thor exists and fights crime in NYC? Thor can be killed. We've seen it almost happen a dozen times. But God? He's oimnipotent and everlasting. The Pope doesn't need superpowers...he's almost as influential as head honchos at UNTIL, more in some areas, less in others. And supers and mythological gods as supers don't really screw with monotheism too much.