What does a French Superhero look like?

Enforcer84

Organized ?

I disagree with a couple of points people have been making.

Europeans would wear masks for the same reason everyone else does. Protecting Secret Identity and family unless you have Public ID. In our campaign the Voidwalker and the Unicron were aliens and thus had Public ID. But the rest of the team had cowls and masks. Like the Flame, The Avenger, Avenger 2, Arachneida, Dr Density etc.

Very few had open faces. The Magician did. But he had Public ID and everyone knew him as the Magician. Mindstorm did as well but she was an egoist.

The team was also Government backed but was set up by the team and Pappademetriou Industries. Working with the Government could be, shall we say fraught ?

Originally posted by Enforcer84

But its such a part of the superhero genre for Superheroes to have the "union suits". That's the thing, the debate that has been going on in the list (far too polite to be "raging") the idea held by those members of the list from England and France is that their heroes wouldn't wear masks, wouldn't dress in bright costumes, and so on. The idea being that only Americans are so inclined(implying that the traditional superheroic costumes are some how beneath them). Then there are Americans who disagree. I was wondering where the Herophiles fell.

I mean, the first French character I rember seeing was Batroc the Leaper and I am sure France hasn't forgiven us for him.

If you are doing it because it is "genre" then obviously foreign supers should do it to.

Skin-tight costumes are not only easy to draw, they are easy to move in & easy to conceal in a small place when you need to change clothes in a hurry. As a Ren-Faire geek who wears tights (and who has the legs for it), I know that they are comfortable and much easier to deal with than pants. Though I do confess that the lack of pockets is a pain. Uniforms and large outfits may look good, but having clothes that do not get in the way when you're in a fight is a must.

The one part of the comic convention I find wholy unreaslistic is the wearing the costume underneath street clothes. Unless you're Superman, wearing long-underwear under your suit all day long is simply too hot to endure. Never mind the fact that unless your costume is the fabric equivilant of a bathing suit (like Liberty:the American Girl) anybody standing less than 5' away from you will notice that you've got "extra padding" under your clothes.. especially if you have a cape under there, too! Never mind how impossible it is to hide a non-white costume beneath a white shirt.

Just a thought

Originally posted by Enforcer84

But its such a part of the superhero genre for Superheroes to have the "union suits". That's the thing, the debate that has been going on in the list (far too polite to be "raging") the idea held by those members of the list from England and France is that their heroes wouldn't wear masks, wouldn't dress in bright costumes, and so on. The idea being that only Americans are so inclined(implying that the traditional superheroic costumes are some how beneath them). Then there are Americans who disagree. I was wondering where the Herophiles fell.

Well, not to offend those players from other nations, but if you have America as having the majority of super heroes, and the FIRST Super heroes... the US supers might set the standard. Other heroes of other nations might wear masks because that's the fashion and it would be embarrassing to be outdone by the yanks.

Again, that depends on a universe's "history" a lot.

Originally posted by Syberdwarf2

Personally, I think L'exploit Rouge works the best. As a superhero, he'll be performing incerdible feats, the morality of which will often be tainted by the blood of his enemies. The pun still works, but you really have to look at the deeper meaning (as most Americans have oft complained about French films)

Acualy, he is an assasion, and I mispeled Feet. Still, if you like the name, go with it. I'm going with Pieds Rouges for my martial arts assasion.

Originally posted by Yamo

Like a smelly man in a bright costume surrendering to the nearest supervillian? ;)

His main superpower would be:

Stretching 1";0 End(+1/2),Persistent(+1/2),Inherent(+1/4);Always Direct(-1/4),Cannot Do Damage(-1/2),No Velocity Damage(-1/4),Limited Body Parts-Arms(-1/4),Only to stretch straight over head(-1/2),Non-Combat Stretching Only(-1/2):Active Points:11 Real Cost: 3

:rolleyes:

Seriously?

My characters have worn:

Karma (Australian, super thief and part time Viglilante): A chamelion costume, although when she was 'playing hero' she wore a black and white 'spandex suit' "cause it was traditional".

Switchblade: Civvies, always. Then again he didn't have a secret I.D.

So really. If we're talking about what heroes would really wear if they weren't being drawn by comic book artists then probably what they fely most cofortable in/what was trendy at the time/something which showed their alligence to some cause, i.e. what most people do. ASctaully it would be so much easier not to have a 'set costume' except perhaps a mask, that way you put on the mask (or not) and people know who you are. 'Costume canhes are so muchj easier' and it could lead to 'fashion mags running 'Best dressed superhero' comps (like they do with other famous people), which 'only one costume' worlds lack.

I would say not completely, but for the most part Supers from other countries take some association from American supers. Comic books, at least, Superhero comic books is pretty fairly an American idea, that spread out, so it only makes sense, that supers in other countries would draw inspiration from and modify American outfits. Though, American supers costumes have varied dramatically from their first incarnations? Anyone remember the first Superhero? Its not who you might think. Some think Superman, though the Shadow and a few others were out in Radio format and such before him, though they aren't always considered superheroes for some reason. The first was actually Popeye. He was the first comic character to do genuinely superhuman tasks. His first was to tear apart a jail cell with his bare hands, and the second, I believe was to survive a gunshot at point blank range to the chest and be pretty much fine soon after.

Filipino Vigilantes

I saw this thread after being disturbed by an 'old' movie that I saw on TV. I just realized that many of our public officials are actually former movie stars or TV personalities (newscasters, radio folk, etc.).

It's not too far-fetched that a Filipino Super could eventually run for office and win. Especially since some of our current officials espouse Vigilanteism in their movies (more Punisher-like justice than Batman).

A CHEF- Perhaps even the "Bunmaster" jEnergy projector based on different kinds of bread...

How about the daughter or grand daughter of COrporal LeBeau... She can really do all the things HOgan convinced the Germans her father could do. mentalist, minor Gadgeteer, chef, ---If grand-daughter, could have a whole team of his descendants. :)

Ok, WHo spiked my Ginger ale?