Steampunk Mecha

AlHazred

Not sure if this belongs here, or in Star Hero, or in Other Genres...

Anyway, some of my players had a real problem with the Pulp Hero game I was running. ("Too much real world stuff!" "I don't feel like my character's threatened." Pah. Wimps.) So, for the next campaign, we bandied about a number of concepts. We ended up with Fantasy/Crossworlds/Martial Arts/Action at the high-powered Heroic end (125+125). After condensing all of this (a task involving no small amount of cerebral massage) I came up with "Kumite Hero" with a strong Fantasy edge.

As a GM, I paid attention during the character concept stage of character creation, writing down all the ideas for later use as antagonists/opponents. One of them was the Gnome Tinker with a Steampunk (read "magic/science") powered armor suit. The idea came from an old video game where one of the characters was just such a gnome. He had barrel arms and legs, with telescoping parts and stuff. I'd love to use him, but I can't remember any additional details. I'd love ideas at this point, from the Hero community. And, hey, if someone can point me to on-line art of an appropriate nature, I'd appreciate it.

I've always loved the look of steampunk golems, so I've been keeping my eyes open. A comic called Battle Chasers has one named Calibretto that looks pretty nifty. The MageKnight line has a couple good ones as well. Of course, THE source for steampunk mecha is Privateer press, and their Warmachine setting. Their mini's are awesome. What else... oh yeah.. I don't know what game you are referring to, but there is one for the PS2 called Dark Cloud 2, where a machanic hero builds one to ride around on. It looks a lot more low tech, with the base model being made out of wooden barrels. Web searches for any of these should get you some artwork.

As for the rules, wish I could help, but I don't have any real Hero experience. I'm assuming the Ultimate Vehicle, and possibly Star Hero/Spacer's Toolkit would have Mecha info that you could use as a base model to tinker with. Good luck!

Originally posted by keithcurtis

There was a Steampunk Bootcamp in the freelancers section of rpg.net in December. There was some beautiful art there.

Can't find that thread, but I'll keep looking. Alternatively (if I can't find it), do you remember any of the artists? It's possible some of the art made it onto websites...

Originally posted by Grym

I've always loved the look of steampunk golems, so I've been keeping my eyes open. A comic called Battle Chasers has one named Calibretto that looks pretty nifty. The MageKnight line has a couple good ones as well. Of course, THE source for steampunk mecha is Privateer press, and their Warmachine setting. Their mini's are awesome. What else... oh yeah.. I don't know what game you are referring to, but there is one for the PS2 called Dark Cloud 2, where a machanic hero builds one to ride around on. It looks a lot more low tech, with the base model being made out of wooden barrels. Web searches for any of these should get you some artwork..

I'll have to keep my eyes open for Battle Chasers. MageKnight has some nice stuff, but many of the pieces are a little pricey. As far as the video game goes, all I remember is that it was one of those Street Fighter type games, with a strong fantasy feel. We played it in the arcade of a rest stop in Ohio, I believe, on the way to GenCon 98.

Originally posted by Grym

As for the rules, wish I could help, but I don't have any real Hero experience. I'm assuming the Ultimate Vehicle, and possibly Star Hero/Spacer's Toolkit would have Mecha info that you could use as a base model to tinker with. Good luck!.

Rules constructs are not a problem. I've played Hero since 1985; I can fake up anything I forget in game, and come up with valid mechanics in five minutes. What I was looking for was ideas for what to put in the suit...

Originally posted by AlHazred

Can't find that thread, but I'll keep looking. Alternatively (if I can't find it), do you remember any of the artists? It's possible some of the art made it onto websites...

It seems to have disappeared. Possibly at the request of the artist(s) or person who ran the bootcamp. I believe the winner was chosen for publication, so this is entirely possible.

Keith "Sorry to get your hopes up" Curtis

Rules constructs are not a problem. I've played Hero since 1985; I can fake up anything I forget in game, and come up with valid mechanics in five minutes. What I was looking for was ideas for what to put in the suit...

Well, 'Bretto from Battle Chasers has displayed a flame thrower, a high velocity ball bearing thrower (bullets) with laser sight type thing, and after he got hit with lightning, he discharged it into some baddies. He said a second lightning strike would take him out though.

The Warmachine Miniature Rulebook has a number of "WarJacks" and gives detailed stats on each. It may be worth it for that info alone. I would heartily reccomend flipping through it if you get a chance. The Privateer Press website also has a number of concept sketches up for their upcoming expansion.

Good Luck, and I'd love to see what you come up with.

Re: Steampunk Mecha

Not sure if this belongs here, or in Star Hero, or in Other Genres...

Anyway, some of my players had a real problem with the Pulp Hero game I was running. ("Too much real world stuff!" "I don't feel like my character's threatened." Pah. Wimps.) So, for the next campaign, we bandied about a number of concepts. We ended up with Fantasy/Crossworlds/Martial Arts/Action at the high-powered Heroic end (125+125). After condensing all of this (a task involving no small amount of cerebral massage) I came up with "Kumite Hero" with a strong Fantasy edge.

As a GM, I paid attention during the character concept stage of character creation, writing down all the ideas for later use as antagonists/opponents. One of them was the Gnome Tinker with a Steampunk (read "magic/science") powered armor suit. The idea came from an old video game where one of the characters was just such a gnome. He had barrel arms and legs, with telescoping parts and stuff. I'd love to use him, but I can't remember any additional details. I'd love ideas at this point, from the Hero community. And, hey, if someone can point me to on-line art of an appropriate nature, I'd appreciate it.

That was Mace the Dark Ages.

It was actually a Dwarf IIRC, but same difference. One arm was a spiked mace and the other a big square headed hammer.

He had a whirrly gig attack, a flurry attack and a chest cannon, and a retarded hopping chest-mosh. He was really hard to use, but could be nasty if you got a few of his combos down as he staggered opponents easily.