What I hate about HERO from RPG net

Law Dog

Yeah, Yamo, I saw you giving him a pretty good drubbing.

Admittedly, Hero can be slow for combat and keeping track of stun/body/end can be an exercise in bookkeeping, but it's the tradeoff you make for incredible detail and versatility.

His other arguments were weak. And the one about Hero fans being rabid. Give me a break. For every Hero fan you find that's obnoxious, I could point to two insane Palladium fans, when the game was more popular and can now point at half a dozen "d20 only" people.

I thought this was funny as hell.

God -edit- it, I'm sick of this -edit-. Hero is the best system for everything. Do you hear me? -edit- everything! From regular guys with guns to Lensmen to -edit- ants in an anthill.

But that's not all. Hero will shine your shoes. It will pump your gas, change your oil, and get a phone number from that hot stripper you saw last week. It will solve the Middle East peace process and stop burglars. It will wipe your ass for you if you're out of toilet paper. It was first sighted building the Egyptian pyramids, and when Neil -edit- Armstrong first set foot on the moon, the Hero hex dude was there. If applied to the skin after a sunburn, Hero will prevent it from peeling. In an emergency, you can eat pieces of the rulebook or burn it to keep you warm. And it makes -edit- julienne fries.

Plus, I like playing it.

I admit there are quite a few rabid Hero fans out there, but I'm not one of them. Nor is anyone I play with. We have played with and seen rabid D20 fans though. And on the boards, I've seen more than one SAS fanatic.. :D

-edited- to reduce cursing

This is the second one of these type of threads I've seen, I find it funny that some people apparantly are so threatend by HERO they feel compelled to take time out of their day to make a point by point explanation of why HERO is not the best game and go so far as to try to show that it is a bad game, of course it looks as though they don't take the time to actually learn the rules which would help them argue (actually it would probably cause them to lose their faith when they saw the true wonderfulness of Fred). There are a lot of games I don't like, and I might suggest they take a look at another system but it doesn't cause me to feel the need to "save" people from the system they are enjoying. Well I gotta go, Fred is going to need more glass cleaner to finish my windows (Yes, Fred even does windows).

_Blink_

It's Blackbird. On the HERO boards.

_Blink_

Hmm... wasn't expecting that one. Cool website you've got, BTW, don't think I ever got round to telling you. And nice job on Thrash. Hell, I even use Elaine as my wallpaper at home :).

Sorry for this off topic diversion...

Michael

some fo teh critiques are jsut lies.

stats only give bonuses in multiples of 5???

ummm not in the hero i play....

at any rate... i played otns of games and hero won me over as being the best. the gripes i saw there are silly.

COM should be less than DEX.. why? because it IS less important

Originally posted by Mike Basinger

I think some Hero Fans get "Rabid" due to the anti-Hero "Rabid" people.

Mike

Not to mention the fact that every (and I do mean EVERY) game system has so called "Rabid" Fans. Hell everything has "Rabid" fans, it just a simple fact of human nature. (as much as I wish this was not the case)

Starblaze says it best, if you don't like a game don't play it. (which is THE REASON I don't reallly do D20) After all we are not espousing some theology here. (no matter what people think, RPG are not a religion). We can simply choose what games we prefer to play and find like minded people. That is not to say that discussion is bad, it is good. The sad truth is games system can not usually be compared without someone trying to start a Holy (or is that Unholy) War.

Originally posted by Chris Goodwin on RPG.net:

God -edit- it, I'm sick of this -edit-. Hero is the best system for everything. Do you hear me? -edit- everything! From regular guys with guns to Lensmen to -edit- ants in an anthill.

But that's not all. Hero will shine your shoes. It will pump your gas, change your oil, and get a phone number from that hot stripper you saw last week. It will solve the Middle East peace process and stop burglars. It will wipe your ass for you if you're out of toilet paper. It was first sighted building the Egyptian pyramids, and when Neil -edit- Armstrong first set foot on the moon, the Hero hex dude was there. If applied to the skin after a sunburn, Hero will prevent it from peeling. In an emergency, you can eat pieces of the rulebook or burn it to keep you warm. And it makes -edit- julienne fries.

Plus, I like playing it.

On RPG.net, this quote is my new sig. :D

JG

If we're not a religion...

Does that mean I don't have to hang out in Darren's closet waiting to hear his confessional anymore? I hope so, fumes from his old shoes are starting to give me hallucinations.

"Forgive me father, I have committed original sin, I umm... poked a badger with a spoon."

Originally posted by Syberdwarf2

It's not the size of your HERO, its how he fires his EB.:rolleyes:

Pity those with only a Hand Attack?

The only two goons you really need to look out for are Blightcrawler and Ian Noble... they have so many wild exaggerations spilling out their ears it should really be a crime. Most everyone else seems to at least be splashing around in the possible...but I think they're finding they're just on everyone's ignore lists so they just post short and pointless replies now. I didn't read the thread, but I'd bet an arm both of them posted to it :)

Re: If we're not a religion...

Originally posted by SuperPheemy

Does that mean I don't have to hang out in Darren's closet waiting to hear his confessional anymore?

That's not the REAL reason you've been hqanging out in Darren's closet.