Need other ideas

Shikarr

Hello all,

I need some thoughts on how to model an ability in hero. How would you all think of how to do a hive mind? By this I mean a character or automaton with low intelligence but when near or in communication with others of its kind is more intelligent and more intelligent the larger the group. It also is always in telepathic communication with the others. I am thinking about this idea fro a machine warrior squad I am coming up with.

For the communication itself, use a Mind Link.

For the ability to get better when near others of their kind... you've got a couple of routes. Aid (to INT, or whatever attributes you want) is certainly one route.

Another would be to purchase extra INT (or whatever), and then give the "extra" INT a limit such as "only works when around X others of his/her own kind" -- depending on the value of X I'd say anywhere from a -1/4 (for X < 5), to -1 (for X > 20).

You could alse stagger the extra INT bought this way... +5 if around 3 others, +5 (+10 total) if around 10 others, and so on.

----------------------------------------------------------

Another option, if you don't mind a little rule bending, is to use Change Environment. Officially you can't give a bonus to skill rolls (or whatever) with Change Environment... But it's your campaign and if you feel that it is the mechanic that works, use it! Just give it to the creatures, and as there are more of them around they start stacking. +5 points to add +1 character point would probably be about right.

I'd definately make it 0 END Persist. Cuz if its a Hive Mind thing, it'd be odd if it can be turned off, and it shouldnt tax the things.

An obvious reply, but then again, I *am* Captain Obvious, the guy who the Champions fired cuz I was *too* superheroic for em...

Or so I was told.

Pffft.

-=Grim=-

I don't think an INT aid is what you are looking for.

nothing stops an INT 5 character from behaving basically normally, they just have a -2 on INT skills compared to an INT 15 character.

it seems like you would want some physical limitations that only apply if the character is away from the group (physical just meaning can't control it, the would actually be mental).